Author Topic: Is Clayton The Real Culprit For 360 Tour's Stale Performances?  (Read 9799 times)

Offline judgesmails

• Wanderer
Re: Is Clayton The Real Culprit For 360 Tour's Stale Performances?
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2011, 09:47:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
what pisses me off the most is Bono singing Vertigo to a different tune every night and singing "What Time Is It In The World?" during COBL (What does that even mean anyway??).

I'm glad to hear somebody else say that!  "What time is it in the world" is driving me crazy.  What time is it?  Time to stop saying "what time is it in the world"!

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2011, 09:50:03 AM »
what pisses me off the most is Bono singing Vertigo to a different tune every night and singing "What Time Is It In The World?" during COBL (What does that even mean anyway??).

I'm glad to hear somebody else say that!  "What time is it in the world" is driving me crazy.  What time is it?  Time to stop saying "what time is it in the world"!
I, um, really like that part...

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2011, 08:32:35 PM »
Who says he had to stay playing the song EXACTLY like the album versions, Edge doesn't all the time, neither does Larry sometimes, and especially Bono to that extent. He's just experimenting a bit with his playing.

I'd like to point out that
-  there are some guitar solos in live versions of Bullet the Blue Sky that don't exist on album versions
-  Bono doesn't play drums on Love and Peace or Else in the album version
-  The lyric, "Did you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your BED" is not the album lyric; neither is, "...to play Jesus?  I did."
-  U2 in fact didn't write People Get Ready, Dancing Queen, or Sweet Caroline to name a few...
-  The album version of Sunday Bloody Sunday does not include the Enniskillon speech.
-  should I keep going?

If you want album versions only, listen to albums.  we like it when they shake things up live. 

You can keep going and it will take forever.  U2 definitely add to their live versions.  Bad live has a simpler bass line than the album version, the guitar settings are different, and there is a sequencer in the background.  Until The End Of The World and I Will Follow are played on higher keys than the album versions.  U2 are known for improving on their live versions - no question about that.

Clayton does sometimes add some bass riffs/licks to his live performances (Gloria) or simplifies them (Bad).  My beef is that for the 360* Tour, he has been quite one-dimensional in his embellishments - all are "additions" (no simplifications), and some take out the timeless nature of the song (WOWY's bass for example).  Clayton's playfull basslines in WOWY make me cringe - it would be like Edge entirely changing his guitar intro to Steets - you can't do that, you are not supposed to touch the core of some songs.  To me that is what Clayton has done this tour.  His bass playing has changed but it is no longer "tasteful" but bordering on cringeworth and unnecessarily embellished - maybe he is out to prove he is not just U2's freeloader with the "easiest job in the world."  Maybe he needs more appreciation or attention.

I listened to some 360 recordings this morning just to test what you're saying. I feel like Adam's sound has definitely gotten weaker, but it is by no means the cause of a bad tour. If anything, what pisses me off the most is Bono singing Vertigo to a different tune every night and singing "What Time Is It In The World?" during COBL (What does that even mean anyway??). Also, Streets has been played the same way by Adam since 1987, at least the chorus has...

Clayton is 25% of the band.  If you listen to their sound individually, it is not that as good. U2 are always known to be the sum of the parts so all the parts have to work well.  And no, Clayton has not played the same bass to Steets.  For this tour, he changed it.  Listen to the part in the chorus where Bono sings "and when I go there, I go there with you" and you will notice Clayton's playfulness.  He almost sounds like an American Idol back-up band trying to do a U2 cover for the contestant.

Cheers,

J

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2011, 05:20:14 AM »
Clayton's played a different bass line for Streets for every single tour since the song was born.

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2011, 06:58:51 AM »

That's a beautiful micro-analysis of the changes to Adam's bass-playing, Jick. I'm sure it's all true.

But, what stale 360 tour performances?

Offline HarlemsAngel94

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • How much air will I Needtobreathe?
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2011, 07:16:26 PM »
Clayton's played a different bass line for Streets for every single tour since the song was born.

The chorus has been mostly the same though... Untilllll...
Who says he had to stay playing the song EXACTLY like the album versions, Edge doesn't all the time, neither does Larry sometimes, and especially Bono to that extent. He's just experimenting a bit with his playing.

I'd like to point out that
-  there are some guitar solos in live versions of Bullet the Blue Sky that don't exist on album versions
-  Bono doesn't play drums on Love and Peace or Else in the album version
-  The lyric, "Did you come here to play Jesus to the lepers in your BED" is not the album lyric; neither is, "...to play Jesus?  I did."
-  U2 in fact didn't write People Get Ready, Dancing Queen, or Sweet Caroline to name a few...
-  The album version of Sunday Bloody Sunday does not include the Enniskillon speech.
-  should I keep going?

If you want album versions only, listen to albums.  we like it when they shake things up live. 

You can keep going and it will take forever.  U2 definitely add to their live versions.  Bad live has a simpler bass line than the album version, the guitar settings are different, and there is a sequencer in the background.  Until The End Of The World and I Will Follow are played on higher keys than the album versions.  U2 are known for improving on their live versions - no question about that.

Clayton does sometimes add some bass riffs/licks to his live performances (Gloria) or simplifies them (Bad).  My beef is that for the 360* Tour, he has been quite one-dimensional in his embellishments - all are "additions" (no simplifications), and some take out the timeless nature of the song (WOWY's bass for example).  Clayton's playfull basslines in WOWY make me cringe - it would be like Edge entirely changing his guitar intro to Steets - you can't do that, you are not supposed to touch the core of some songs.  To me that is what Clayton has done this tour.  His bass playing has changed but it is no longer "tasteful" but bordering on cringeworth and unnecessarily embellished - maybe he is out to prove he is not just U2's freeloader with the "easiest job in the world."  Maybe he needs more appreciation or attention.

I listened to some 360 recordings this morning just to test what you're saying. I feel like Adam's sound has definitely gotten weaker, but it is by no means the cause of a bad tour. If anything, what pisses me off the most is Bono singing Vertigo to a different tune every night and singing "What Time Is It In The World?" during COBL (What does that even mean anyway??). Also, Streets has been played the same way by Adam since 1987, at least the chorus has...

Clayton is 25% of the band.  If you listen to their sound individually, it is not that as good. U2 are always known to be the sum of the parts so all the parts have to work well.  And no, Clayton has not played the same bass to Steets.  For this tour, he changed it.  Listen to the part in the chorus where Bono sings "and when I go there, I go there with you" and you will notice Clayton's playfulness.  He almost sounds like an American Idol back-up band trying to do a U2 cover for the contestant.

Cheers,

J

...This tour... I stand corrected. Good ears on ya J!

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2011, 08:20:24 PM »
When you guys say Clayton is playing weaker, I hope you just don't me the volume levels of the bass.

To me, weaker in the sense that his new notes, lines, and modifications to the arrangements make the song weaker.  Also, the tone (not volume) of his bass guitar has changed and is now rounder, less edgy, and lacks that punch.

No wonder Bono once introduced him as "the jazzman of the band."  Perhaps he is trying out to much jazz in his experimentation and those influences have crept into U2's more iconic songs.

Cheers,

J