Author Topic: Rank U2's albums  (Read 65059 times)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
Re: Rank U2's albums
« Reply #180 on: January 20, 2012, 08:34:17 AM »
I think people think it's unfinished cuz U2 said it was unfinished....

U2 also said Pop was unfinished.

Selective hearing?

Offline BringCitrus

• Refugee
« Reply #181 on: January 20, 2012, 09:23:06 AM »
Yeah... what exactly do people think is "unfinished" about the album? Examples?

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #182 on: January 20, 2012, 09:58:47 AM »
The one song that really hits me as unfinished is Last Night On Earth - the chorus is weak and nowhere near what it should be, and the outro, well there is no outro, it goes out like a slow fart - almost as if Edge hadn't even thought of that riff for the end at that time, there's literally nothing there. 

I love the record, and I firmly believe that it's unpolished state adds to it's appeal (e.g I much prefer the album version of 'Please') but there are some moments that just don't hit right.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #183 on: January 20, 2012, 10:02:09 AM »
I feel that the unpolished state of October is what contributes to its greatness as well.

I think a lot of people just dont like October because it's religious in theme.

I've never found its religious themes offensive, though. And I find it very hard to find a U2 song that DOESNT grapple with religious themes.

Offline BringCitrus

• Refugee
« Reply #184 on: January 20, 2012, 10:14:46 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I feel that the unpolished state of October is what contributes to its greatness as well.

I've never found its religious themes offensive, though. And I find it very hard to find a U2 song that DOESNT grapple with religious themes.

+1

From what it sounds like, the band members are never 100% happy with their studio songs and always think of things that could/should be different.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #185 on: January 20, 2012, 10:18:16 AM »

+1

From what it sounds like, the band members are never 100% happy with their studio songs and always think of things that could/should be different.

Which I think is the bane of every artist. I'm a writer and there's not one piece of work that I've ever written that I've felt was "done." There is a point when you do have to just put something down, though... Or else you become George Lucas and you ruin the whole thing with your continual edits.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #186 on: January 20, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »

+1

Which I think is the bane of every artist. I'm a writer and there's not one piece of work that I've ever written that I've felt was "done." There is a point when you do have to just put something down, though... Or else you become George Lucas and you ruin the whole thing with your continual edits.

I think U2 tries to strive for that unreachable perfection in every song they make. It's just their nature, and its always been that way with them for any song in the vast catalog. Even Moment of Surrender though it seemed to be perfection the way it was released, got a set of lyrics attached to the end of the song by Bono, basically stating that he didn't think the song was 100% how he wanted it to be.

Offline Quenchable Thirst

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • It's a private show, no one else's gonna know
« Reply #187 on: January 20, 2012, 11:23:52 AM »

I don't care about the religious themes, I try not to over think their songs. I'm actually one of the very few fans of With A Shout :P

And by unfinished, I mean that they could have worked harder on some of the lyrics. Gloria is one great song but the lyrics are too repetitive. Same for Is That All?

I'm not a huge fan of Pop either, but in terms of lyrics, I don't think the album was unpolished. Gone, Please and SATS are just an example of what I mean.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #188 on: January 20, 2012, 12:02:16 PM »
The one song that really hits me as unfinished is Last Night On Earth - the chorus is weak and nowhere near what it should be, and the outro, well there is no outro, it goes out like a slow fart - almost as if Edge hadn't even thought of that riff for the end at that time, there's literally nothing there. 

I love the record, and I firmly believe that it's unpolished state adds to it's appeal (e.g I much prefer the album version of 'Please') but there are some moments that just don't hit right.

I think the sound of the single version of Please fits in with the overall sound of Pop, more than the album version does.  That is the ONLY reason why I see Pop as 'unfinished'.  In fact, my only niggle about Pop - and it's a constant niggle - is the album version of Please, because I like to play the album in its entirety.  For that reason I have substituted the strings version onto a CD-R for when I'm driving in my car.

I do think LNOE is the weakest song on Pop, but I don't hear it as 'unfinished'.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #189 on: January 20, 2012, 12:16:25 PM »

Selective hearing?

hate to burst your bubble but i don't know that i've heard them say it was unfinshed.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #190 on: January 20, 2012, 12:31:37 PM »

Selective hearing?

hate to burst your bubble but i don't know that i've heard them say it was unfinshed.

They've talked about it being a failure... and Bono felt the lyrics were unfinished because he lost that notebook...

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #191 on: January 20, 2012, 03:11:56 PM »
U2only say their albums are unfinished when they don't sell as well as they'd hoped.

They weren't saying anything about Pop being unfinished when they were promoting it...

Same with. No Line.

It's a copout

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #192 on: January 20, 2012, 04:21:59 PM »
Last Night On Earth is the weakest song on Pop? Ridiculous.

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #193 on: January 20, 2012, 04:30:45 PM »
Last Night On Earth is the weakest song on Pop? Ridiculous.

Droo....which do you think are the STRONGEST songs on Pop?   You and I seem to have the same tastes are far as U2 are concerned.  Im an Achtung Zooropa, Pop enthusiast.  The only place you and I disagree is that I think No Line is complete garbage.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #194 on: January 20, 2012, 04:41:31 PM »
The songs on Pop that I love most are the opening three, Last Night On Earth, Gone, and Miami.