Author Topic: Rank U2's albums  (Read 65075 times)

Offline ToRontoRon

• Wanderer
Re: Rank U2's albums
« Reply #570 on: June 15, 2018, 06:26:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't know, don't people's rankings change every day?

I don't listen to TJT hardly at all any more, but it changed my life, where do I put it?

I guess I'll just rank based on which ones I am listening to and most excited by these days.

1 Songs of Experience
2 Songs of Innocence
3 Achtung, Baby
4 Pop
5 All That You Can't Leave Behind
6 The Joshua Tree
7 October
8 War
9 The Unforgettable Fire
10 Zooropa
11 Rattle and Hum
12 Boy
13 No Line on the Horizon - this will move up some day
14 How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - this prolly won't

That's hard because you have to understand that something can be number 12 and still so dear.

Am I the first to put SOE at number 1?

Well, I don't have it at #1, but I have it at #3, just behind Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree.  I used to think it was 12 great songs and The Showman thrown in there to prevent it from being a classic, but now I'm actually really starting to dig The Showman too.  It still has that new album smell, but for me I now have it as their 3rd classic album.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #571 on: June 15, 2018, 06:56:03 PM »
I hear ya on Showman, it felt weak but there's also something there. I've been trying to figure out the style/genre of the song. I'm sure it's blatently obvious but it eludes me. It's fairly old fashioned in some way, it's not a modern style.

Offline ToRontoRon

• Wanderer
« Reply #572 on: June 16, 2018, 05:26:11 PM »
I hear ya on Showman, it felt weak but there's also something there. I've been trying to figure out the style/genre of the song. I'm sure it's blatently obvious but it eludes me. It's fairly old fashioned in some way, it's not a modern style.

Yeah, to me it sounds like a 50's song or something, remade for the 21st century.  Maybe kind of like The Everly Brothers? 

I was in my car yesterday for a quick trip somewhere, happened to have SOE in my CD player, (yeah, you heard me, a CD player.  I guess my car is kinda old), and only had time for one song.  I chose The Showman, and didn't regret my decision.  That had never happened before.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #573 on: June 16, 2018, 05:38:47 PM »
I have, a couple of times, selected that song to hear and marvelled at my choice.

My car has a CD player. I also just redeemed 4, count em, 4 copies of SOE in CD format!

Offline ToRontoRon

• Wanderer
« Reply #574 on: June 16, 2018, 05:42:09 PM »
Oh good.  I'm not the only one still rocking the CD player...  4 copies?  Hey, why not? 

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #575 on: June 16, 2018, 06:04:00 PM »
They come with the concert tix.

1 copy is for me because I purchased a digital download originally. Want to see the CD booklet, but more importantly, I get a higher quality audio than whatever format I downloaded.

1 copy is for a potential new fan. A 16 year old I know, I just discovered is obsessively playing SOI over and over. She doesn't know anything else other than Elevation. <rubs hands together with glee> Taking her to Boston 2 next week - no better way to convert a new fan.

Other 2 CDs, dunno. Might give one to the library. I will find ways to spread the love. U2 don't need the money but I'd love for them to reach 500,000 sales, so I contributed 5, or 0.001% toward that goal.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 05:58:48 AM by laoghaire »

Offline ToRontoRon

• Wanderer
« Reply #576 on: June 16, 2018, 09:36:10 PM »
Oh, that makes sense.

That's awesome that you know a 16 year old who probably discovered the band because of the free album in 2014...  Me too!  Say what you will about the stunt, but my, at the time 12 year old niece, (now 16), got into the band because of it, and we even saw the Joshua Tree 2017 tour together last year.  The next time they come back to Toronto, we'll probably see them together again too.

Offline U2Tim

• Refugee
« Reply #577 on: June 17, 2018, 03:26:38 AM »
I don't know, don't people's rankings change every day?
Mine are fairly consistent.
That's hard because you have to understand that something can be number 12 and still so dear.
I know what you mean.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #578 on: June 17, 2018, 11:44:10 AM »
1. Achtung Baby
2. The Joshua Tree
3. Zooropa
4. Pop
5. All That You Can't Leave Behind
6. War
7. Boy
8. The Unforgetable Fire
9. Songs of Innocence
10. Songs of Experience
11. Rattle and Hum
12. How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
13. October
14. No Line on the Horizon

I feel that my list is getting quite consistent... Might prefer Pop over Zooropa or Boy over War some days but all in all this is it for me.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 11:47:05 AM by Rasmus »

Offline iced

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • You don't see me but you will..I am not invisible.
« Reply #579 on: June 20, 2018, 04:40:45 AM »
Six months later:

1. Zooropa
2. POP
3. Achtung Baby
4. The Joshua Tree
5. The Unforgettable Fire
6. No Line On the Horizon
7. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
8. Rattle & Hum
9. All That You Can't Leave Behind
10. Songs of Innoncence
11. Songs of Experience
12  War
13. October
14. Boy

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #580 on: June 21, 2018, 12:32:40 PM »
Currently:

1. Zooropa
2. Pop
3. Songs of Innocence
4. Achtung Baby
5. The Joshua Tree
6. October
7. The Unforgettable Fire
8. All That You Can't Leave Behind
9. No Line On The Horizon
10. Songs of Experience
11. War
12. Boy
13. Rattle & Hum
14. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb 

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #581 on: June 21, 2018, 12:36:53 PM »
I listen the most to NLOTH, October, and SOE so that's how I have to rank them for myself.  I'm not saying that they are necessarily their artistic best, but they are my personal favorites.

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #582 on: June 22, 2018, 11:48:34 AM »
My last post in this thread is woefully outdated. Here are my updated rankings:

1) The Joshua Tree - To me, this is the perfect album. There's never really much of a dead spot on this. Side two's In God's Country-Trip Through Your Wires-One Tree Hill sequence is sublime.

2) Achtung Baby - This is an absolutely stellar album that, had it finished a bit stronger than with the Acrobat/Love Is Blindness duo, probably would have stolen the gold. Even so, there are so many exceptional gems on this album. Who needs a skip button?

3) How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - This and the one right below it often switch, but where the album listed below wins in consistency, this one makes up for it with high-powered rockers. Vertigo, Love and Peace, and All Because of You demand that the speakers be turned up to 11, and Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own and City of Blinding Lights, a.k.a. Streets for the 21st century, are heavy hitters with a more classic sound. There are a few other honorable mentions, but ultimately this album is a genuine pleasure to experience.

4) Zooropa - Most bands would probably give their right arms to deliver an album this strong, and yet U2 just kind of threw this one out for the heck of it. It's one of U2's most consistently good albums with a side two that rivals that of The Joshua Tree. I love listening to it over and over.

5) All That You Can't Leave Behind - It may be ironic given the actual themes of a number of the songs on this album, but this album is one I would listen to if I want to ensure I'm in a good mood. It just has a happy sound throughout it, and I just find it to be U2's optimism album.

I put that line there to differentiate the hall-of-fame albums from the rest. That's not knocking those that will follow, but those are my desert island albums. Here are the rest in an order that tends to shift from time to time.

6) No Line On the Horizon
7) Rattle & Hum
8) The Unforgettable Fire
9) Pop
10) Songs of Experience
11) Boy
12) War
13) October
14) Songs of Innocence

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #583 on: June 23, 2018, 01:32:15 AM »
All Because of You is the most contrived, 'hard-rocking', one-note song I've heard from U2. Top it off with Bono's painful wailing during the chorus means I've not listened to this song in full for probably about 7 years.

Most of the album is alright though. Not top 3 in my books, but mid-tier - all things considered.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #584 on: June 23, 2018, 06:00:35 PM »
I listen the most to NLOTH, October, and SOE so that's how I have to rank them for myself.  I'm not saying that they are necessarily their artistic best, but they are my personal favorites.

That's an unusual ranking! Neat!