Author Topic: U2 in Berlin  (Read 9793 times)

An Cat Dubh

Re: U2 in Berlin
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2011, 02:24:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The Pop songs sound great live, but a large majority of their songs take on a different form when played live; so that's a moot point.

Plus, despite how much the band don't like Pop, it's over and done with. They decided to release it in the form that it's in, they decided to keep pushing back the release date, and they stuck by their work throughout the Popmart Tour.

I just think it's completely unnecessary to go back and rework an album released almost 15 years ago; especially when their are numerous fans who care deeply about Pop and consider it perfect the way it is.

It's bad enough that the band put down Pop every chance they get, rerecording it would just be the ultimate Pop dis.

I'm not saying it isn't over and done with. But they own it and they don't consider it over and done apparently. I was a little upset when they put the new mixes of the POP singles on the 90-00 set without the original singles, but they did. The original mixes were nowhere in sight. I'm just saying this seems to be an ongoing area of "unfinished business" for them.
Count me as one who consider POP as one of their best albums(it's in my top 5), but appreciates some of the live interpretations even more(especially SATS, which never sounded good in full arrangement live but acoustic was exceptional).

But they've stated they don't like Floods work on the album, that he was overwhelmed, that their own work suffered, Bono hates his voice, Larry wants to revisit it and re-record it, etc.

It's funny how much they dislike some of their own music. I guess that's the artiste in them. Larry and The Edge both said Red Hill Mining Town, one of my favorite TJT songs, was overproduced and never quite worked out as a song(?!?!)

:D

Now I know why theyve never played it live. It has nothing to do with Bono's voice not hitting those high notes. They don't like it.

Artistically, Pop is brilliant. Both Adam and Edge are quiet about it, I guess they like it as it is.

Bono and Larry hate it.......................because it was not universally adored by every single person on the planet, it didn't win them any awards (so they are not popular in the public eye), oh, and it didn't make them enough money.

Look, I know they have every right to go back and re-record it, but the word 'finish' is ridiculous. The original Pop album was finished, it was released, its fantastic, and it has many, many fans. If they go back and re do it completely, then to me, that is taking away from the magnificence of the original album.

I agree with Bono about his 'evolving' songs over time, especially through live interpretations, thats all good, if he wants to do that with Pop, then they should bloody well play the songs live!!!!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2011, 03:37:30 PM »
HEY! U2!! Rather than blathering on about re-recording Pop, I have an idea: howsabout you record a new album? You know, the one you've been hyping for the last two years? Yeah, that one. That's what we want.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2011, 04:29:45 PM »
Well, i think Pop's an exception to almost all of u2's albums - the band have pretty much disowned it, but have also spoken more than once about wanting to go back and 'complete' the album. They've said numerous times that because of Popmart's early schedule, they didn't actually complete the album. This wouldn't be like sticking will.i.am snippets into achtung baby or have RedOne re-produce the joshua tree into a dance album, it would be more about going full circle with pop.  
I think they are within their rights to want to work on some music they are not comfortable with, or feel they never got the chance to fully complete.
And if it means they start playing the songs on tour again, then even better.

For what it's worth, i think Pop is one of their best albums. But for u2, it isn't like JT or AB - they have disowned it, and they simply to not perform its songs anymore.
Zoost - your idea of remastering Pop on one disc and reworking the album on another is a best case scenario for me. But, personally, if u2 wanted to redo their 'lost' 90's album in order to... un-lose it, i'd be fine with that. And, as i said before, i'd be very interested to see how their new dance direction would influence a reworking.

Of course, i'd much rather they make a new album than rework old stuff, but if reworking pop is what it takes to get them to perform it, and it shows a new musical insight into the band, i'd be all for it. Plus, if they do remaster Pop, reworking some of the songs (separately would be ideal) would only be a bonus IMO.

Btw, how many of you adore the Pop songs live? I know i do. Now think about how different Gone and Mofo sounded live - even in 1997, the band was reworking Pop, and it was awesome. It shows how the band weren't satisfied with the album (even at the height of the Pop era), and how great the changes could be.

The Pop songs sound great live, but a large majority of their songs take on a different form when played live; so that's a moot point.

Plus, despite how much the band don't like Pop, it's over and done with. They decided to release it in the form that it's in, they decided to keep pushing back the release date, and they stuck by their work throughout the Popmart Tour.

I just think it's completely unnecessary to go back and rework an album released almost 15 years ago; especially when their are numerous fans who care deeply about Pop and consider it perfect the way it is.

It's bad enough that the band put down Pop every chance they get, rerecording it would just be the ultimate Pop dis.

Ok, i concede the point about the live renditions.
I also agree that Pop is indeed over and done with, and that it's unnecessary to rework it.
I would also much, much prefer them to work on new material - reworking old albums reeks of dinosaur band work.

However, if they feel compelled to revisit pop, considering the circumstances of the album, i personally wouldn't have a problem with them working more on that album. Plus, i'm so desperate for new material after all the promises we've been given, that even a new version of pop is appealing to me. And it would practically guarantee Pop being played live!
If i had to choose between a reworked pop album (which would be tantamount to new material for me), but which would taint the legacy of Pop (but the original album would still exist, it's not like they'd go around the world and destroy every copy)...
... and u2 continuing to ignore pop, i'd certainly choose the former.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:40:00 PM by JamietheEdgefan »

Offline Antrim Boy

• Babyface
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2011, 04:38:52 PM »
HEY! U2!! Rather than blathering on about re-recording Pop, I have an idea: howsabout you record a new album? You know, the one you've been hyping for the last two years? Yeah, that one. That's what we want.

;D x 1,000,000

Maybe we should start a "Leave POP alone and GET BACK TO WORK!!" campaign!

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2011, 04:40:52 PM »

Despite everything i've said, i still completely agree with this

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2011, 06:58:19 PM »
Well they only remaster their works around anniversaries so I think POP has 5 or 6 years still.

Of course they could put the new album on the back burner until then too so....

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2011, 12:57:56 AM »
Well, i think Pop's an exception to almost all of u2's albums - the band have pretty much disowned it, but have also spoken more than once about wanting to go back and 'complete' the album. 

The latter, yes, we've always known Popmart was scheduled too early. The former, not really, it's just a persistent myth from the internet U2 fandom.

That said, no, I don't think they will re-record Pop when the remaster comes. There is a part of me that would love to see the moaning on the U2 boards on the internet...but it won't happen. At best a new mix or two. (wasn't there a Playboy mansion remix that was supposed to be released with Hands that built America single?)

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2011, 02:00:20 AM »

Can't say they did much of a job with the photograph of the Hansa Room light(the famous 15 bulb light), think I did better on that with my Avatar !

i'm sorry but it is not the same light. yours has 15 bulbs and edge's has only 12!!!

jacob

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2011, 02:48:48 AM »
There is a huge pittfall in this pop-rerecording thing:
U2 will do it according to their current musical views.
So the "new" pop will sound more like nloth than like the original pop.

Best regards
Jacob

Offline tihach

• Refugee
  • Oh baby! <3
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2011, 05:53:34 AM »
Well they only remaster their works around anniversaries so I think POP has 5 or 6 years still.

That's right! :)

How did you end up on POP remastering now?  ::)
They are in Berlin, where Achtung baby was recorded and this year is 20 yr anniversary... I see how quite logical is to end up on POP ::) ;D

why do you think they will re-do songs? They didn't do it on previous remastered albums...so I don't see any threat in that...
I think second CD with unreleased tracks or new remixes, or even new video is more likely to come with original ;)

Offline tihach

• Refugee
  • Oh baby! <3
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2011, 06:14:46 AM »
I'm not sure it was certain, but people were definitely reporting it back in the summer of 2010!
I'd explode too, it's such a great song - it's not like native son, or Always, where you can tell they needed to polish them up to make them what they became. No, LWTSH came out already perfect... it was like a well of pure awesomesauce from which u2 plucked ultraviolet, the fly, and zoo station.

... It's the macdaddy of achtung baby.

I think you've said it all right there. :) I freaking love LWTSH!!!!

I dont know what it MEANS.

But it's a great song!!

Oh I remember when that happened. Wish they would have played it live!

I think every big U2 fan like us would EXPLODE if they played LWTSH live. :) Just suddenly throughout the sea of casual U2 fans, little explosions would go off lighting up the dark like supernovae. It'd fit with the space theme of 360. :)
They soundcheck LWTSH in Munich in september 2010. At least fans said so ;D

Thats a load of crap I think.  I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now

why do you think that?  why would anyone made that up? people heard it...they were maybe fooling around soundchecking...who knows ;D

Offline aarong

• Desert Rose
  • What's a Double Bass? Oh a Big Voilin
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2011, 06:18:58 AM »
*sigh* I'm glad Im not one of those fans who think Pop was rubbish coz the band thought so. A jolly good album and an even better version of the songs live!! Additional previously unreleased song bonus CD would be far more suited.

Now re-mastered Achtung Baby is anotehr kettle of fish! *rubs hands* bring it on!

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2011, 09:19:11 AM »
Well, i think Pop's an exception to almost all of u2's albums - the band have pretty much disowned it, but have also spoken more than once about wanting to go back and 'complete' the album. 

The latter, yes, we've always known Popmart was scheduled too early. The former, not really, it's just a persistent myth from the internet U2 fandom.

That said, no, I don't think they will re-record Pop when the remaster comes. There is a part of me that would love to see the moaning on the U2 boards on the internet...but it won't happen. At best a new mix or two. (wasn't there a Playboy mansion remix that was supposed to be released with Hands that built America single?)

Well, when i say disowned, i don't mean i believe the band hates the album (of course, i don't know the personal feelings of the band). I just mean in the actions they have taken - most importantly, not playing any pop songs live. Then there are little things like not having any pop tunes on their last best of (u218). They might feel differently personally about the album, but they are certainly distancing themselves from it for the time being.
If re-recording any of it makes them embrace it, i think it would be worth it. But yeah, i doubt they actually would bother to rework it. I just responded enthusiastically to the initial post by mattressjedi, because given how much i liked the EBTTRT remix, and the possibility that it might make them embrace the album, i think reworking some pop tunes would be a cool idea.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2011, 10:32:32 AM »
I'm just repeating what the band has said in print, especially Larry and Bono. Now that being said, it is still a long way from stating you would like to revisit those recordings one day and actually sitting down and doing it.

And as someone up above mentioned, it wouldn't even sound like the "best of U2-era POP" because they're no longer in that era. It will sound more like here and now.

I love POP as is and would like to see them pour all the energy into new material. But I'm just saying they've certainly publicly talked about redoing it or "revisiting" it.

Now we should get back on topic:

U2. Berlin.

It sounds like they're shooting some kind of video for perhaps extra content for the remaster of AB. I really do hope it's not a new video for One though. That song has been through the video wringer enough.   :'(

The Grave

« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2011, 05:03:06 PM »
It would be interesting to see a modern video of one though. especially if its similair to the first one  ;)