Author Topic: U2 in Berlin  (Read 9791 times)

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
Re: U2 in Berlin
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2011, 05:56:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Although they say Pop was rushed, unfinished, to me it always felt OVER done. I must admit it has never been my favorite U2 album, and I'm a fan since around 1983 so I was aware of, and supportive of, the evolution from War to AB...however I have no desire to see them take time to re-do it. If they just take my advice, that would be fine.  ;D

Paul McGuiness agrees with your statements. In U2 by U2 he basically states there was plenty of time for work to be completed on the album. He relates a really good story during POP: after the shows in Europe,The Edge and Howie B would climb into a mobile mixing vehicle and mix and mix and mix the upcoming singles for release. There would be all these choices, dozens of different mixes. McGuiness suggests that maybe if you can't be ultimately satisfied after that many edits, the problem is not the mix but the underlying song.

Now I don't agree with this as I think the songs are fine, but U2 by U2 clearly shows the band and their associates do not think they're fine.

Bono refers to it as the "most expensive demo record in music history".

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
Re: U2 in Berlin
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2011, 12:52:07 AM »

Although they say Pop was rushed, unfinished, to me it always felt OVER done. I must admit it has never been my favorite U2 album, and I'm a fan since around 1983 so I was aware of, and supportive of, the evolution from War to AB...however I have no desire to see them take time to re-do it. If they just take my advice, that would be fine.  ;D

Paul McGuiness agrees with your statements. In U2 by U2 he basically states there was plenty of time for work to be completed on the album. He relates a really good story during POP: after the shows in Europe,The Edge and Howie B would climb into a mobile mixing vehicle and mix and mix and mix the upcoming singles for release. There would be all these choices, dozens of different mixes. McGuiness suggests that maybe if you can't be ultimately satisfied after that many edits, the problem is not the mix but the underlying song.

Now I don't agree with this as I think the songs are fine, but U2 by U2 clearly shows the band and their associates do not think they're fine.

Bono refers to it as the "most expensive demo record in music history".

Agree there is a general consensus within the U2 camp that it didn't work for them - indeed i think they tried to fix the mixes or songs during the live songs or during the 'best of' release