Author Topic: Spoiler Are you getting a little annoyed?  (Read 4036 times)

The Grave

Spoiler Are you getting a little annoyed?
« on: June 02, 2011, 07:58:19 AM »
The first four shows have been identical. It's time for them to change things up

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Re: Spoiler Are you getting a little annoyed?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 08:18:22 AM »
They have a long way to go if they want to beat the ZooTV record of ten consecutive shows with the same setlist. (And they included double night stints!)

But no, I'm not really; they've changed the setlist considerably, largely- though not wholly - for the better and these are all separate cities. It makes total sense for U2 to give them all what they consider their best setlist, rather than give some cities what they think is a slightly weaker setlist for the sake of the few fans who are at them all.

Also worth noting that they did the same thing in Europe last year for the first 6-7 shows with 99% identical setlists but then shifted when they got more comfortable with it- this time we can probably expect some modifications with Glastonbury and the Spidey musical.

The Grave

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 08:31:29 AM »
that's what I'm hoping for. It' not that it's a bad setlist, I actually wouldn't mind it at my show. Now if it had Stuck and IALW that'd be a differentstory

Offline Achtung_Habs

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In the name of Love
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 08:26:44 PM »
Yes I am annoyed.  Not because of the setlist, because of all the threads complaining about the said setlist.  Many people claim Zoo TV to be the greatest live era of U2, and it had probably the most static U2 setlist like said by the poster above. 

U2 always had an almost fixed setlist on single nights in cities.  And if it wasn't for people arguing on the internet over a setlist of a concert they are not even attending, something is wrong.

Sorry had to pull that out :)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 09:00:40 PM »
1. It's a great setlist.
2. It's a tremendously different setlist than the last time the 360 tour was in the US/Canada
3. There's only 18 ( :'( ) shows left, not much room left for experimentation and such

So no, I'm not annoyed  :P  I would be if there were still multiple legs left or they already toured the US/Canada with this set, but there arent and they havent

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 09:05:30 PM »
The set in Winnipeg was so incredibly perfect that I have a hard time imagining anything better (except for Moment Of Surrender as closer!).

Offline POP2011

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 09:16:43 PM »
Its a pretty good setlist except for a few overplayed songs like Elevation, Pride, Walk On, etc.

To make the set less static all they need to do is rotate or replace some songs:

Rotate or replace Elevation with The Fly.
Replace Walk On with Please.
Rotate Crazy Tonight with Discotheque.
Replace Pride with A Sort of Homecoming or Like a Song

Rotate HMTMKMKM with MOFO or Discotheque
Or Add Discotheque to 2nd Encore
Or Add MOFO to 2nd Encore
Add Fez Being Born to 2nd Encore

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 09:24:25 PM by POP2011 »

Offline Rayford27

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Your wheels are turning, but you're upside down
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 09:26:08 PM »
U2 designs their setlists for the audience in attendance... most of whom have paid good money for their tickets and have waited a long time to see them live.

They don't make their setlists for the fans following the tour online.   So, there's no reason to change it up unless they play multiple nights in the same city.   :)

The Grave

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 09:29:05 AM »
 :D I was expecting to have more people angry  :D

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 09:32:52 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 designs their setlists for the audience in attendance... most of whom have paid good money for their tickets and have waited a long time to see them live.

They don't make their setlists for the fans following the tour online.   So, there's no reason to change it up unless they play multiple nights in the same city.   :)

^^^ This & Achtung Habs + 1.

The Grave

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 09:39:39 AM »
Yes I am annoyed.  Not because of the setlist, because of all the threads complaining about the said setlist.  Many people claim Zoo TV to be the greatest live era of U2, and it had probably the most static U2 setlist like said by the poster above. 

U2 always had an almost fixed setlist on single nights in cities.  And if it wasn't for people arguing on the internet over a setlist of a concert they are not even attending, something is wrong.

Sorry had to pull that out :)
Your right about the Zoo TV thing. but I guess some people think since they have more songs now they need to switch it up. but I dont think they need to switch Beautiful Day with Another Time Another Place

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 09:46:29 AM »
I think rotations like NYD/OoC/IWF or Ultraviolet/ISHF are pretty reasonable expectations but on the other hand, the USA has gotten Ultraviolet before so HMTM makes sense- and IMO, IWF works better than NYD in that slot anyway. They're just trying to put together their 'best' set rather than a varied one.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 11:30:33 AM »
I can handle Pride and Elevation in the setlist when gems like Zooropa, Hold Me Thrill Me, and Stay are regulars as well.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 02:07:28 PM »
They have a long way to go if they want to beat the ZooTV record of ten consecutive shows with the same setlist. (And they included double night stints!)

They had a brilliant set-list.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 02:36:18 PM »
Nah, I'm not annoyed. I was around mid-tour, but now that it's almost over I really don't want to bother with being annoyed. I really wish it would've stayed a NLOTH tour instead of transforming into a greatest hits tour. Oh well, they gave us fans Zooropa...that was nice of them.  :)

It is sad to know this might be the first tour since before Popmart without a Pop song.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 02:38:37 PM by Boom Cha! »