Author Topic: if you cant sing it dont play it  (Read 3854 times)

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
Re: if you cant sing it dont play it
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 10:51:04 AM »
As the tour progresses Bono's voice obviously gets tired. This is true during the Vertigo Tour and his political lobbying didn't help as he didn't rest his voice.

Now if we watch the Obama Concert, Bono hits notes that I haven't heard in a long time.

shockdocta22

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 02:58:16 PM »
They prob shouldnt stop bc they r classics but i dont think well ever hear him sing lemon ever again   he still sings bad good

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 11:17:54 AM »
His voice sounds great right now, I dont know how he did it. With Boots thats the first thing I thought of, his voice is back high. Now, that I think of it, its higher pitched again, but can he sing high and loud? I bet he could. Maybe one of these news songs will suprise us.

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 01:57:21 AM »
With U2 live, Bono hitting the notes or being in excellent voice 1) isnt the biggest factor in how good the song comes across 2) Sometimes Bono having a bad voice night turns into a phenominal show overall.

Bono and the band have a way of rising to the occasion and working difficulties/problems/issues etc to their benefit.  This is a large part of what makes them a great live band, they have phenominal instincts, know and play of each other extremely well, and are quick to seize the moment

On the Vertigo Tour, 3rd leg, they played 2 nights.  1st nite was in the top 5 concerts I've seen.  I waited around in line at the boxoffice all day next day to try and score seats for the 2nd night.  I got them.  The show either tied the best concert I've or passed it.  Bono lost his voice the nite before.  His voice was totally shot most of the nite.  They switched up the setlist more than they had ever done before (I've checked u2tours.com)

Main Set: City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, Elevation, Mysterious Ways, Until the End of the World, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Beautiful Day - All These Things That I've Done, Miracle Drug, Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Love and Peace or Else, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet the Blue Sky, Miss Sarajevo, Pride, Where the Streets Have No Name, One

Encore(s): Zoo Station, The Fly, With or Without You, Happy Birthday, All Because of You, In a Little While, Bad

The opening of the show was relentless and the crowd was exhausted already by the end of Elevation.  From the opening notes of City of Blinding Lights, it was palpable... something was different.  Everything was played with far more energy passion and intensity.  It really was one of those moments that last throughout where there actually was electricity in the air.  Then, already exhausted and worn out, we got the double surprise of Mysterious Ways jumping into the front of the show, followed by Until The End Of the Show.  Those first 5 songs were insanely energetic.  The instruments were at the front of the mix but there were some moments you could hear Bono's voice give out. 

The 1st 5 songs were insane enough and then they went into Stil Havent Found which got an overwhelming crowd response.  (Going into this nite, this song was one of the warhorses I could do without, if they replaced it with something less common.  This was the 4th time I saw them on this tour).  Again you could hear Bono wasnt in the greatest voice... we all seems somewhat relieved to get a slower song at this point, since everyone was spent.  Now recently in U2 concerts the singalongs have fropped off and the crowd seems to join in less than say in ZooTV.  NOT this night, the crowd joined in immediately and Still Havent Found regained the former glory it was when it closed out the first part of the ZooTV Indoor tour (before the encore) when everyone sang for over 5 mintues until u2 came back for the encore.  This night, the song was almost as special as ZooTV which was my very first concert. 

Beautiful Day and Miracle Drug were also played with extra intensity and a great Bono addition of "All These Things That Ive Done, at the end of Beautiful Day.  By this time, even though we could occasionally here a crack or 2 Bono was starting to get his voice.  And these songs soared with  amazing abandon  YOu could feel at the beginning the band throwing in everything to boost Bono, then a shift as they started to feel the feedback from the crowd.  It was far more intense then the night before, and this in turn started to lift Bono's voice.  It just kept getting better and you kept thinking there is NO WAY it could get better.  Every note was palpable.  This continued on with the best performances of "the war section - SBS Land Peace, Bullet, and the majestic Miss Sarajevo with Bono NAILING it!  Breathtaking

the Pride Streets combo.  Again, on this tour the version of Streets was not as good as previous tour, though still and always a major highlight.  The nite before was a huge improvement over the beginning of the tour on leg 1.  But this nite... this nite was truly magical... the energy and atmosphere just kept building and building and just exploded beyond belief throughout ALL of Streets.  The crowd response was sooooo thunderous ecstatic and uncontrollable that the building was rumbling, rafters shaking, it literally felt like it was gonna collapse, the band stood somewhat stunned by the response.  The crowd kept screaming and cheering uncontrollably and Bono and the boys had to stop and take it all in for a moment.  He tried to talk but we were too loud and crazy at the moment.  He finally told us to shut up.  This was my 13th time seeing them and I had never seen the band in that much shock over the reaction of the audience.

Mary J Blige came out for One.  Now I like her, but hated the recorded version of the Duet... However live is another story.  It really belted it out.  It took on a different tone but it was a very nice surpise and change.  Again the encore of Zoo Station and The Fly rocked far harder with Edge truly on fire.  They also performed With Or WIthout You with the rhythm turned up more and Adam and Larry seemed to give it a little more groove than normal, it was more sensual than U2 had ever been.  All Because of You rocked far harder tonight.  Then more special treats.  A full band full song of In A Little While with Brandon Flowers joining in.  It was amazing, and Brandon Flowers sounded great in duet with Bono (I was concerned he would be too nasaly or whiny) and ... they ended with a phenominal version of Bad

OK that was a long recounting of that concert. But hey, its U2 freakout time anyways with all the excitement of the new album and speculation of the tour...

Point is... This was one of the best concerts ever, if not the best (ZooTV is hard to contend with).  Bono's voice was shot for much of the night and before the show started they were very concerned.  This si was pushes them.  They rise to the occasion.  It was a very magical concert that is truly unexplainable.  YOu can hear Bono's voice is bad in much of the bootleg of that Vegas show but you can also hear the crwod response was more uncontrollable than usual.  Not just loud, but uncontained, estatic. again, back to the point... Imagine if they would have not performed Miracle Drug, Sometimes You Cant Make it On Your Own, Miss Sarejevo, Pride, With or Without You, In A LIttle While or ... my gawd ... Bad!   

Those songs were really special that nite.  The whole nite was special.  With U2 its not just about Bono being able to hit the notes, sometimes this may be the least important factor in their shows.  There are so many intangibles to their performance.  This is what is special about them live.  They can take the something you've heard a million times feel special, refreshing, turn negatives into postives and explode in an overhwhelming burst of energy and exuherance.  It is like nothing else.  So no I would have to disagree completely that they should drop songs on the basis of Bono hot being able to sing them the way he used to.  Dropping older songs for other reasons like making room for less played ones... yes

If you wanna hear nice pretty notes hit all night and everything to sound pristine and clean... go see Coldplay... Ive been to that modernday Journey snoozefest, and I might as well be at home listening to the album... cuz the live show is an exact copy, with some Bono moves thrown in, again exact copies.

Offline in_eden

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 08:03:30 AM »
U2 has been jockeying tuning since the ZOO TV days... partly why there are so many instrument changes now. Like "bad" for example... on the Unforgettable fire CD it's in A, on "Wide Awake in America" and live through Zoo TV it was down a half step to Aflat(G#). On Elevation it was down a whole step to G. Similarly with Pride. "Still Haven't found" and Sunday Bloody Sunday are also played in a different key, and both capo'd...
So there are little tricks that are used to help ease the strain on Bono's voice. Ever notice how when you sing along live it's just a little easier than with the radio or CD? It's because the whole tuning of the set is lowered a half step to reduce the strain on bono. Most bands do this live, as that one extra not at the top of the range makes a HUGE difference over the course of a whole 2.5 hour show.
Bono has fought some nasty nasal/sinus problems over the years... plus his cigar habit hasn't helped.
If he's been a little better to himself, maybe the pipes are in better working order this time out.

I know in 2001 on Elevation, at Cleveland in April he struggled with Bad... but at Vegas in November he was flawless. A lot of the time it depends on the day.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 08:10:14 AM »
Maybe the South of France is good for the voice.

Offline jono2u

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • "i was born to sing for you"
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 08:40:31 AM »
He was born to sing for you he didn't have a choice ;)

shockdocta22

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 11:58:34 AM »
bonos voice was good in a studio, but live...not sure yet, they can still play bad