Poll

Has the 360 tour become a nostalgia tour?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Poll: Has U2 360 Become A Nostalgia Tour  (Read 1814 times)

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
Re: Poll: Has U2 360 Become A Nostalgia Tour
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 10:25:57 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No.  Its basically impossible to be nostalgic about songs that have rarely/never been played before like Zooropa, Scarlet, Miss Sarajevo, Ultraviolet, HMTMKMKM, as well as the NLOTH songs. 

If you count 138, 176, 127 times to mean rarely/never been played before then maybe. Even still Zooropa, Miss Sarajevo, UV, Scarlet and HMTMKMKM were all written and released, (half were also played), between 29-14 years ago. So I'm pretty sure you can be nostalgic for them.

Numbers wise for the past three legs, U2 have been playing 4 new songs a night. That is the longest U2 have consistently played that few new songs a night. This is also the longest U2 have consistently dropped the songs from their last album to three (arguably four).

360 in 2009 and a fair amount of 2010 was not really a nostalgia tour. But its hard to deny it when all but four of the songs they play every night were written over 7-8 years ago and all but six were written over 10-11 years ago.

Offline wraitii

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 12:03:50 AM »
I'm thinking no. There is a feeling of nostalgia, maybe, about some songs. But they usually actualized them, and the Claw has a definite "novelty" feeling to it even though we've seen it for 2 years.
Also, consider that the band has now over 30 years worth of material. If they are to play a bit of each, then they will automatically appear nostalgic. In order not to, they should limit themselves to ATYCLB and later albums.

I don't know what you mean by "nostalgic", though. Is it "U2 plays song from the past because it feels nostalgic about them"? Then no, not at all. If you mean "I feel nostalgic about some of the songs in the setlist", then yes. By ALL means yes, you have no way of not feeling nostalgic.

Offline Farisfan (polished stones)

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you see here… a body in a soul
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 03:12:10 AM »
I think for me, I would start with a definition of nostalgia...

"Longing for a better or happier time in the past." (Oxford English Mini Dictionary)

I think it is partly in their intent in playing the songs that they play, not only in the particular songs. 

I do not think they are packing it in, ceasing to strive forward and have stopped and are looking back now, nostalgically, if you will.

And I am not so sure that they are even playing the older songs in a nostalgic sense (playing them they way they were first played or played on the earlier tours). 
They are constantly monkeying with songs, monkeying with the lyrics (both on purpose and accident  ;D), crafting how they fit into the setlist.

I may be in the minority but I think they pick and fit the songs together to create a feel, a theme almost throughout the gig.  And this does not necessarily stay the same from gig to gig or leg to leg, rather it changes or varies slightly at least, depending on their audience and where their audience is coming from. 

So, I would say no to a "nostalgia tour".  :)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 04:00:18 AM »
Mods - please move to the "Setlist forum"

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 04:53:38 AM »
Another 'Greatest Hit Tour' thread?

Yay  ::)

No it is not a nostalgia tour.  It's a tour that has old, new, spectacle, rarities, and a bit of nostalgia.  If 360 is a nostalgia tour then what were Elevation and Vertigo?

I mean seriously, U2 has played 7 songs of NLOTH on the tour, 6 new unreleased tracks, Scarlett, HMTMKMKM, Zooropa, Mothers of the Dissappeared... let's be serious. 

I'd love to go back and count all of these threads just to see how many there are and who started them all. 

It's like a broken record.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 10:31:51 AM »
Another 'Greatest Hit Tour' thread?

Yay  ::)

It's like a broken record.

Word. 

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 11:21:51 AM »
The one thing that is getting lost in the shuffle as everyone is making "Greatest Hits" comments is that this tour is almost 2 years old. I for one am lucky to be seeing them for the 3rd time this tour in July (NJ). If they were still jamming NLOTH tunes, I'd be asking for Greatest Hits. NLOTH had its part of 360....what they are doing right now is welcome in my eyes. If we see 4 more surprises before the end I'll be a happy man!

Zoo TV kept 8 songs from Achtung Baby, 2 years into the tour.

To be fair though, ZooTV has been the exception in U2's history for that. In fact, they have more a history of touring before an album is released or ready to be played live(TUF, Zooropa and POPmart)  ;D