Author Topic: Ignore Topic/Thread Option  (Read 2679 times)

Offline jw

• Intellectual Tortoise
Ignore Topic/Thread Option
« on: June 10, 2011, 10:19:58 AM »
I doubt such an option exists, but it would be nice if there was an "Ignore Topic" option similar to the way some forums have a "Ignore User" option.

My gripe is that The Music section has become cluttered with all those ridiculous "Fave song of [album]", "Fave b-side of [album], ""Fave song of [decade]", Song Tournaments, etc etc.  You have to wade through those to find anything thing that might be interesting.  Now I get that apparently some people do like those.  But they are so similar in nature they almost should be in their own section like "Music Rankings" or something.   Anyway, I was sitting here wishing I could block them from my view - and that's when it hit me, we need an "Ignore Topic" option.

Maybe another option would be to be able to vote on the thread itself.  I've seen one message board where you could "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" a topic.  Unpopular topics would be thumbed down by users and people would be less likely to visit it.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
Re: Ignore Topic/Thread Option
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 02:31:45 PM »
You are correct jw, I'm not aware of way to ignore a thread here. I have also seen boards set up where posts and even posters can be rated up or down. It's been my experience that those often turn into a huge popularity contest. In my opinion, having all threads sink or swim by the judgement of each person who visits it and decided whether or not to contribute is much more fair than the "group think" environment that permeates the methodology you mentioned.

As for the content going on in the music section, I too agree that it's hard to wade through the polls to get to the content. It's my experience that the polls tend to come in waves and we are currently at high tide. I don't think a section devoted to polls is the answer because then the polls lose their relevance to the topic they are about ... at least in part.

Hang in there!

Offline jw

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 02:28:01 PM »
I figured it was a long shot.  Thanks for your feedback.

These smiley faces are from my kid.  She saw them and wanted to add them.

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X ;D >:( ??? :D :D ;)

satellitedog01

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 02:50:26 PM »
Also be very careful which threads you chose to post in.
I have some ridiculously long and now uninteresting threads from years ago on my new replies thread page, that just won't wither and go away...

Offline jw

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 07:20:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Also be very careful which threads you chose to post in.
I have some ridiculously long and now uninteresting threads from years ago on my new replies thread page, that just won't wither and go away...

I don't use that feature.  If I really want to follow something, I'll use the Notify option.

satellitedog01

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 02:56:25 AM »
Alright.