Author Topic: U2s next tour should be like Prince's  (Read 3351 times)

Offline TheRobin

• Stranger in a Strange Land
U2s next tour should be like Prince's
« on: June 12, 2011, 11:58:48 AM »
I've been going to U2 concerts for 21 years. Have seen them over 50 times. I will NEVER pay money to see them in a stadium again! Come on guys, you have now proven to the world that you are the biggest tour/band on the planet. Now go dream it up again...

THE PLAN: all they have to do is basically copy what Prince is currently doing on his tour.
You only need to play the 10-12 largest US cities.
Play indoors.
Play multiple nights (as many as 10-15 in NY or LA).
Play a much looser and diverse set list.  (I could even image a concert where they play an entire album like JT or AB)
Bring cool guests on stage to preform one-off musical moments.
Make every concert available for download as audio and video (for a fee is fine).

Something to keep in mind, sometimes less is more.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
Re: U2s next tour should be like Prince's
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 12:01:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've been going to U2 concerts for 21 years. Have seen them over 50 times. I will NEVER pay money to see them in a stadium again! Come on guys, you have now proven to the world that you are the biggest tour/band on the planet. Now go dream it up again...

THE PLAN: all they have to do is basically copy what Prince is currently doing on his tour.
Play indoors.
Play a much looser and diverse set list.  (I could even image a concert where they play an entire album like JT or AB)
Make every concert available for download as audio and video (for a fee is fine).

Dream it all up again equals copying what Prince does???

No F'in way.
Play only big cities??? Thats dumb

Have a nostalgia tour?? awful.

I mean you're entitled to your opinions but I would be seriously peaved if they decided to do that. Straight to the vegas shows (skip the RS devolution.) **shakes head***

The Grave

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 01:20:32 PM »
I agree with Miami

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 02:28:50 PM »

Play indoors.

Prince and U2 are the two greatest live acts in music, IMHO, but they're completely different acts with their own strengths and weaknesses and they should do things their own way.

There is a reason, however, why I've seen 13 Prince gigs and only 2 U2 gigs.  I even managed to see Prince in a theatre at the Manchester Apollo in 2002 when he played almost all of his latest album- The Rainbow Children.

I also think that Prince does what he does just because he loves doing it, where as U2 are mainly interested in maximising their profits, just like The Rolling Stones.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 03:06:38 PM »
U2 don't have close to the musical chops Prince (and whatever band he puts together) has. As much as I don't care for his music, Prince is supremely confident in his songs and his abilities, whereas U2, even after all these years, isn't confident in what they do, the abandonment of NLOTH songs is further proof of that. As they've gotten older they've turned more into wanna-be crowd pleasers first and foremost.

Pop was the last time when they went out on the road without a hint of self consciousness.

Up until the end they were playing a ton of new songs whether or not people reacted to them the way they wanted them to.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 03:08:20 PM »

Play indoors.
Play a much looser and diverse set list.  (I could even image a concert where they play an entire album like JT or AB)

So you want them to do a LOVETOWN TOUR USA?

I have to echo what others have said about Prince too: he's a hell of a  musician. But Ive never owned one of his albums and dont feel inclined to.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 03:13:57 PM by mattressjedi »

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 03:26:12 PM »
There are musicians like Prince or Springsteen who can can go to a bar/club/areana/stadium and feel confident enough to play about 1000 different songs. U2 is the exact opposite. Everything they do is rehearsed and thought out to the last degree. Look at what happened when they played Love Rescue Me for the 1st time since Lovetown tour. It was one of the highlights of the Lovetown tour and this time it was not very good at all. They probably didn't rehearse it enough. There's no way they have the musical chops like Prince to be able to pull obscure songs out of the hat and play them at any time.

Also, unless one lives in LA or New York, how does playing 15 shows in a few cities do anything for the other millions of fans not living in those cities?

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 03:54:32 PM »
For those who don't like the idea of U2 only doing big cities in the future - Um, isn't that what they do these days ?

It's not like you'll see them in Wolverhampton civic hall any time soon

Offline TheRobin

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 04:32:48 PM »
Back on the JT tour and War tour, I was at several shows in a row that had very diverse set lists. If you are a fan that has only been able to see them live from the ZooTV tour forward, you have not experienced what kind of free-wheeling, edge of your seat, take-no-prisoners band U2 were (and I make the argument) still are. I'm not saying that they should simply re-create what they have done in the past, but what they have created lately (NLOTH, 360) is so devoid of what made this band the world-beaters they were in the past. They are plastic, tame and uninspired.

I went to the 360 Oakland show with my 13 year old son (his first U2 concert). He really liked it a lot. The next night I showed him Rattle and Hum on DVD (cranked up)... he couldn't believe that it was the same band. I would just like U2 to find a way to re-capture some of that energy and moxy they had back in the day (not in a nostalgic way, but an authentic way) If that is "dumb", then so be it.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 04:41:36 PM »
Back on the JT tour and War tour, I was at several shows in a row that had very diverse set lists. If you are a fan that has only been able to see them live from the ZooTV tour forward, you have not experienced what kind of free-wheeling, edge of your seat, take-no-prisoners band U2 were (and I make the argument) still are. I'm not saying that they should simply re-create what they have done in the past, but what they have created lately (NLOTH, 360) is so devoid of what made this band the world-beaters they were in the past. They are plastic, tame and uninspired.

I went to the 360 Oakland show with my 13 year old son (his first U2 concert). He really liked it a lot. The next night I showed him Rattle and Hum on DVD (cranked up)... he couldn't believe that it was the same band. I would just like U2 to find a way to re-capture some of that energy and moxy they had back in the day (not in a nostalgic way, but an authentic way) If that is "dumb", then so be it.

I can't believe 90's U2 are the same band as 80's U2 or that 90's U2 are the same band as 00's U2.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 05:34:59 PM »
While I love the idea of U2 playing multiple nights at small venues and playing set lists that would appeal to the true fans, U2 is far too big of a pop culture attraction for this to work. At the one ( >:() 360 show I was able to see this year, the GA line and inner claw, which used to be full of die hard fans, were full of posers - you know, the people who pronounce Bono "Bone-o" and ask which side of the stage The Edge usually stands on. They were at the concert because they like U2`s hit songs (and the females think Bono is hot), not because they are fans who have faithfully followed the band for many years and truly appreciate ALL the music U2 has produced.

At this concert (not my 50th, but my 9th), I was so excited to hear several songs I've never heard live before. And surrounded by the Bone-o fans (who are the same ones who say "U2 went really down hill after The Joshua Tree" - which by the way is one of the two U2 albums they own), I was the only person jumping up and down with excitement to hear Miss Sarajevo, Zooropa and Scarlet. Conversely, I was the only person NOT jumping up and down when they played Mysterious Ways and WOWY.

So if U2 were to play a tour like TheRobin is suggesting, every show would have a majority of disappointed `fans` and negative reviews. The Bone-o fans simply wouldn`t get it and neither would the press. Could any major act deal with week after week of stunned, low-energy audiences and the press reporting daily on how apathetic (and pathetic) the crowd was? It would be a huge blow to the U2 machine. Having said that, I know that U2 could and would recover from that blow because of the legions of real fans.

Don`t get me wrong, I love the idea. But at this point in U2`s career, doing something like this would be a huge risk and I`m not sure they would be willing to take a risk like that.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 05:45:16 PM »
But if U2 played arenas, there'll only be enough tickets for REAL fans.  So, if the casuals wanted to avoid disappointment, they should leave the ticket availability to us REAL fans.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 06:06:36 PM »
But if U2 played arenas, there'll only be enough tickets for REAL fans.  So, if the casuals wanted to avoid disappointment, they should leave the ticket availability to us REAL fans.

I think U2 should start selling the tickets to their shows themselves, and you should have to pass some sort of test before you're allowed to buy one.

(Yep, I'm an elitist.)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 06:17:42 PM »

I think U2 should start selling the tickets to their shows themselves, and you should have to pass some sort of test before you're allowed to buy one.

(Yep, I'm an elitist.)

You should have to return a questionnaire with your ticket application with questions along the lines of:-

Do you LOVE everything we do?

Do you think Bono is a swell guy?

Do you enjoy sitting in football stadiums?

Do you want to hear lots of ATYCLB at the shows?

Do you think Larry is still pretty?

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 06:32:24 PM »

Play indoors.

Dream it all up again equals copying what Prince does???

No F'in way.
Play only big cities??? Thats dumb

Have a nostalgia tour?? awful.

I mean you're entitled to your opinions but I would be seriously peaved if they decided to do that. Straight to the vegas shows (skip the RS devolution.) **shakes head***

Whats wrong with nostalgia tours? 360 was/is the biggest one ever.