Author Topic: U2s next tour should be like Prince's  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
Re: U2s next tour should be like Prince's
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 06:51:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've been going to U2 concerts for 21 years. Have seen them over 50 times. I will NEVER pay money to see them in a stadium again! Come on guys, you have now proven to the world that you are the biggest tour/band on the planet. Now go dream it up again...

THE PLAN: all they have to do is basically copy what Prince is currently doing on his tour.
You only need to play the 10-12 largest US cities.
Play indoors.
Play multiple nights (as many as 10-15 in NY or LA).
Play a much looser and diverse set list.  (I could even image a concert where they play an entire album like JT or AB)
Bring cool guests on stage to preform one-off musical moments.
Make every concert available for download as audio and video (for a fee is fine).

Something to keep in mind, sometimes less is more.

Dream it all up again equals copying what Prince does???

No F'in way.
Play only big cities??? Thats dumb

Have a nostalgia tour?? awful.

I mean you're entitled to your opinions but I would be seriously peaved if they decided to do that. Straight to the vegas shows (skip the RS devolution.) **shakes head***

Whats wrong with nostalgia tours? 360 was/is the biggest one ever.

Well not in my definition of a Nostalgia tour.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 07:09:46 PM »
But if U2 played arenas, there'll only be enough tickets for REAL fans.  So, if the casuals wanted to avoid disappointment, they should leave the ticket availability to us REAL fans.

I think U2 should start selling the tickets to their shows themselves, and you should have to pass some sort of test before you're allowed to buy one.

(Yep, I'm an elitist.)

Me too. I think at a minimum, you should have to be able to name every album in chronological order. With the respective years of release.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 07:22:55 PM »
I've been going to U2 concerts for 21 years. Have seen them over 50 times. I will NEVER pay money to see them in a stadium again! Come on guys, you have now proven to the world that you are the biggest tour/band on the planet. Now go dream it up again...

THE PLAN: all they have to do is basically copy what Prince is currently doing on his tour.
Play indoors.
Play a much looser and diverse set list.  (I could even image a concert where they play an entire album like JT or AB)
Make every concert available for download as audio and video (for a fee is fine).

No F'in way.

I mean you're entitled to your opinions but I would be seriously peaved if they decided to do that. Straight to the vegas shows (skip the RS devolution.) **shakes head***

What is your definition of a nostalgia tour? Mine is that 99.9% of the songs played on the tour have been songs released between 1981 and 2005, ie all 6 years old or more. New songs debuted and songs from the current album have all but disappeared. Sounds like a nostalgia tour to me.

And before you get on your high horse, that kinda fits right now for U2 and its not a bad thing and I happen to like the 360 tour! But it is definitely nostalgic.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2011, 07:26:34 PM »

Play indoors.

No F'in way.

What is your definition of a nostalgia tour? Mine is that 99.9% of the songs played on the tour have been songs released between 1981 and 2005, ie all 6 years old or more. New songs debuted and songs from the current album have all but disappeared. Sounds like a nostalgia tour to me.

And before you get on your high horse, that kinda fits right now for U2 and its not a bad thing and I happen to like the 360 tour! But it is definitely nostalgic.

Ahh, nostalgia. Not what it once was....

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 07:39:09 PM »
It's a thing of the past, nostalgia

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 08:02:00 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing a tour that was a mix of stadiums and arenas.  They did this during the fall 1987 leg of The Joshua Tree Tour.  I don't see why it couldn't work again.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 08:57:26 PM »

Play indoors.
Play a much looser and diverse set list.  (I could even image a concert where they play an entire album like JT or AB)

and sometimes wrong is wrong.

Prince may only need to play the 12 biggest US cities; U2 is popular everywhere.

#@!

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 06:17:26 AM »

Play indoors.
Play a much looser and diverse set list.  (I could even image a concert where they play an entire album like JT or AB)

Prince may only need to play the 12 biggest US cities; U2 is popular everywhere.

#@!

And yet only plays 15 or so cities......

Offline SuperAcrobat

• Refugee
  • A woman needs a man, like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 06:46:33 AM »

Play indoors.

I only agree with those 3 things. Playing indoors is something I would really like U2 to do when I go and see them. Yes, I can see how multiple nights will be needed for one city (but not 10-15 shows in NY or LA). And to have every concert available for download as audio or video at HIGH QUALITY, would be one of the best things U2 has done in their entire careers.

u2dreamoutloud

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 07:30:42 AM »
"You only need to play the 10-12 largest US cities. "

dont forget, that the USA is NOT the spinning axis of the entire planet. dont forget, that U2 are an Irish band, a European band who has millions of fans in more than just one country.

I see the next tour as a step back with doing indoors in america and stadiums in europe, since european arenas are not that big. Or they try to get indoors also in europe and play 2-3 nights at each venue. i would like that.

but copying prince? no. we're talking about a band who always uses stuff on first hand, noone ever used before. they're not copying. they always were creating. let's just wait and see, we cannot change in any way what they will decide.

Offline jackofhearts

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 07:45:03 AM »
They should do what Dylan does...play shows constantly for years in a row...in smaller places.  And also put out albums as they go. 

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 10:16:01 AM »
I wouldn't mind seeing a tour that was a mix of stadiums and arenas.  They did this during the fall 1987 leg of The Joshua Tree Tour.  I don't see why it couldn't work again.

This is what I'd like to see for the next tour, and there's no reason why they couldn't.

Also, I envisage a different set-list for what would be two different kind of shows.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 02:32:24 PM »

Play indoors.

#@!

And yet only plays 15 or so cities......

your arithmetic must be based on something other than base-10.

#@!

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 02:37:36 PM »
Well, Prince is a wacko guy, let's not forget that. As Kevin Smith has said, he's the kind of guy who would tell his assistinces at 3AM that he wants a camel from Egypt.

The idea could work (there would probably be less whining on this forum about not changing the setlist) but then some of the REAL FANSTM wouldn't get to see them and only the rich celebs would get tickets or something.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 03:08:54 PM »
Well, Prince is a wacko guy, let's not forget that.

There's nothing 'wacko' about Prince; he's not Michael Jackson.