Author Topic: U2s next tour should be like Prince's  (Read 3350 times)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
Re: U2s next tour should be like Prince's
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2011, 03:18:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
But if U2 played arenas, there'll only be enough tickets for REAL fans.  So, if the casuals wanted to avoid disappointment, they should leave the ticket availability to us REAL fans.

I think U2 should start selling the tickets to their shows themselves, and you should have to pass some sort of test before you're allowed to buy one.

(Yep, I'm an elitist.)

Me too. I think at a minimum, you should have to be able to name every album in chronological order. With the respective years of release.

Yeah!

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2011, 04:15:58 PM »
I've been going to U2 concerts for 21 years. Have seen them over 50 times. I will NEVER pay money to see them in a stadium again! Come on guys, you have now proven to the world that you are the biggest tour/band on the planet. Now go dream it up again...

THE PLAN: all they have to do is basically copy what Prince is currently doing on his tour.
You only need to play the 10-12 largest US cities.
Play indoors.
Play multiple nights (as many as 10-15 in NY or LA).
Play a much looser and diverse set list.  (I could even image a concert where they play an entire album like JT or AB)
Bring cool guests on stage to preform one-off musical moments.
Make every concert available for download as audio and video (for a fee is fine).

Something to keep in mind, sometimes less is more.

Dream it all up again equals copying what Prince does???

No F'in way.
Play only big cities??? Thats dumb

Have a nostalgia tour?? awful.

I mean you're entitled to your opinions but I would be seriously peaved if they decided to do that. Straight to the vegas shows (skip the RS devolution.) **shakes head***

Whats wrong with nostalgia tours? 360 was/is the biggest one ever.

Well not in my definition of a Nostalgia tour.

What is your definition of a nostalgia tour?

When they devote legs of their tour to a specific theme of the past. Like a ZooTV theme or if they played an album front to back in one night. Or if Bono and Co. dress like they did in 84. To me thats a nostalgia tour.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2011, 04:34:29 PM »

And yet U2 only plays 15 or so cities......

Yeah 15 or so with stadiums. But if U2 went to arenas they would have to play many more markets with smaller arenas than what Prince does. They have a bigger market. So again, U2 doing it would mean a much larger committment than what Prince is doing.

I would personally like them to do a mixture of just about every type of venue: stadium, arena, theatre, etc and treat it like their last tour ever. Cuz the next one just might be!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:39:50 PM by mattressjedi »

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2011, 01:50:28 PM »

THE PLAN: all they have to do is basically copy what Prince is currently doing on his tour.
You only need to play the 10-12 largest US cities.

And U2 would copy Prince and/or only play 10-12 US cities because... ?

Not happening. At all.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2011, 12:28:47 AM »
Well, Prince is a wacko guy, let's not forget that. As Kevin Smith has said, he's the kind of guy who would tell his assistinces at 3AM that he wants a camel from Egypt.

Problem solved.

GET CAMELS

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2011, 12:29:51 AM »
But if U2 played arenas, there'll only be enough tickets for REAL fans.  So, if the casuals wanted to avoid disappointment, they should leave the ticket availability to us REAL fans.

I think U2 should start selling the tickets to their shows themselves, and you should have to pass some sort of test before you're allowed to buy one.

(Yep, I'm an elitist.)

Me too. I think at a minimum, you should have to be able to name every album in chronological order. With the respective years of release.

Yeah!

Including Passengers?  ;)

Offline wraitii

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2011, 03:50:14 AM »
Passengers not withstanding, you could ask people to recite the track listing of... JT, AB, Zooropa, Pop, NLOTH in order to comply.It's not that hard :P

hrsan

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2011, 11:31:44 AM »
Why not do what Elton John, Celine Dion and Rod Steward do, which is just do a residency in Las Vegas?

Nothing cheapens a legacy quite like Vegas.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2011, 01:05:19 PM »
I am not convinced U2 has the musical chops though to have such sparse staging and an open set list with room for improv. Prince is an excellent at that but I'm not sure U2 are.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2011, 01:31:30 PM »
In actual fact, Prince's main show set-lists aren't any more varied than U2's, it's just that Prince has the confidence to 'jam' and improvise during a show with his highly skilled bands.

Plus, Prince has a completely different set-list for his after-show gigs.  He has played two completely different shows on the same night on many occasions.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2011, 04:09:50 PM »
In actual fact, Prince's main show set-lists aren't any more varied than U2's, it's just that Prince has the confidence to 'jam' and improvise during a show with his highly skilled bands.

Plus, Prince has a completely different set-list for his after-show gigs.  He has played two completely different shows on the same night on many occasions.

The problem with U2 though is they can jam but theyve always done it in the studios, soundchecks or rehearsals but not in concert.

The other issue is the sequencers and other stuff they play with don't leave much room for improvisation and they've used those since TUF tour.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2011, 04:38:13 PM »

(Yep, I'm an elitist.)

Yeah!

Including Passengers?  ;)
Bonus points for those who include Passengers