Poll

Will U2 Take The Wraps Off This Song When They Headline Glastonbury?

Yes
40 (71.4%)
No
16 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Voting closed: June 24, 2011, 10:05:54 AM

Author Topic: Will "Glastonbury" Be Played At Glastonbury?  (Read 4231 times)

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
Re: Will "Glastonbury" Be Played At Glastonbury?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 04:48:30 PM »
If it's a) better than the 360 version b) has new verses c) has not been worked on and slaved over for 18 months like Stand up Comedy then maybe it should be played but I'm of the opinion it is below par shi*e which I have come to expect of these throwaway songs of U2 of late. They used to do rock very well, NLOTH is a step in the right direction but it's not all there. I'd rather they played silver and gold, now that is a rock n roll song.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 02:28:51 PM by singnomore »

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 06:12:50 PM »
I think it's a pretty lame song, but i'm so curious to hear it in good quality, broadcast on the bbc. I'm also holding out hope that it's been worked on since last summer. I think it needs a better riff, more elaborate solo, better lyrics, and possibly different chords. Tall order i know, but if u2 love glastonbury enough to write a song about it, and are spending their spare time formulating a setlist/show/possibly songs exclusively for that show, then i think it's likely that they've tinkered with the tune as well.
So if it's improved, i would love to hear it.
Even if it's not changed, i'd still be curious to hear it. However, i'm not sure it should be played when there are definitely more important hits to perform.
As to whether it will be played though, i have absolutely no idea. I think it's entirely likely that either scenario is possible.

satellitedog01

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2011, 02:27:21 PM »
I like the riff and the music in general. I hope Bono worked on the lyrics a bit.

streetmission

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2011, 04:28:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
However, i'm not sure it should be played when there are definitely more important hits to perform.
As to whether it will be played though, i have absolutely no idea. I think it's entirely likely that either scenario is possible.

Covering all your bases there, aren't you Jamie? :D

IMO, I don't think they'll play it.  They've stated that Glastonbury will have a greatest hits setlist.  If they actually play the song "Glastonbury" it will have to replace a hit.  I don't see them doing that.

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 11:10:20 AM »
IMO, I don't think they'll play it.  They've stated that Glastonbury will have a greatest hits setlist.  If they actually play the song "Glastonbury" it will have to replace a hit.  I don't see them doing that.

But surely it makes sense to play the song at the festival they wrote it for. If they don't play it, what will be the point of the song? If it never gets released then people will forget it. They created the song for the festival, so just because of that, I believe it will be played.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 11:13:58 AM »
Why wouldn't they play "Glastonbury" at Glastonbury??

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 02:00:01 PM »
However, i'm not sure it should be played when there are definitely more important hits to perform.

Covering all your bases there, aren't you Jamie? :D

Guilty!  ;D
Seriously though, i could see it easily going either way, which is why i'm finding it hard to predict what will happen.
The song was written for the festival - if it's ever played, it will be on friday. They haven't said anything about scrapping it.

Then again, considering how long its been since we heard about it, considering all the other new live songs have been dropped (and mid-tour album plans scrapped), and how they haven't been hyping this tune like they did last year, i think it's very likely that they could have quietly scrapped it - they're not going to play a song they don't like, but i doubt they'd openly say "We made a song for the show, but we stopped liking it/it's not good enough".

Although, they did plan it as a surprise last year (i think), and they did seem to really like it last summer, so perhaps they do still like it, and are hiding it to bring back a sense of novelty for the song.

Ahh, there are too many factors! It could go either way!

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 03:01:32 PM »

Well yeah, its 50-50. They either play it or they don't ;D

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 04:47:04 PM »

Well yeah, its 50-50. They either play it or they don't ;D

Touche'  ;D
Miami, you should write my posts for me - it would save a lot of time  ;)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 04:57:31 PM »
I would give odds of evens that they play it.

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 06:11:31 PM »
Bullet should be played anyway, but to me Glastonbury is definitely not in the lame corporate rock cat. Boots, Vertigo or Elevation is (I do enjoy those at times, but they are totally weightless and throwaway).

Glastonbury is above their '00s energy level musically (the lyrics don't matter that much in a one off perf. ) and reminds me of Where Did It All Go Wrong and Even Better. It also reminds me of other bands, like the Who and Led Zep, I think it could work at Glasto, and why I'd like to hear it.

agreed very Zep and i hope they play it...
i understand it was for last year, but they couldn't make it...so why wouldn't they play it?

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2011, 01:29:33 PM »
VOTING CLOSES ON FRIDAY PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2011, 05:28:01 PM »
It better be played there!  :D

New York or Angel of Harlem should be played in New York too  ;)

PartyMarty23

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 06:55:17 PM »
At first I thought it'd definitely be played, but now i"m not so sure. Im kinda doubting it will, unless they've reworked it a little

Offline booyah

• Babyface
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2011, 07:33:33 AM »
I'm hoping that the studio version will be offered as a single download this weekend. Perhaps that's too hopeful, though.