Author Topic: Which would you prefer a huge production or a scaled back tour?  (Read 3994 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Which would you prefer a huge production or a scaled back tour?
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2011, 05:10:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I just want to see them

In the end, thats all I really want too.  I think people who don't see them because they aren't playing in a certain type of venue are crazy, selfish, and need to look at their fandom in the mirror

I may be a crazy and selfish person, but where the **** do you get off questioning the fandom of people like me?

You're really going to let the fact of whether there is a roof on the building or not and the fact that there's more seats in the building determine whether you see your favorite (or one of your favorite) band play some of your favorite songs?  I can't wrap my head around that.  I just find that to be selfish.  Be glad you have an opportunity to see U2, don't refuse to see them because you don't like the damn building or because you like arena tours better.  So silly I can't even fathom it

And yes, that leads me to believe one is a fan of themselves and their preferences of what type of concert they want more than they are a fan of the band

I've seen concerts in theatres, arenas and stadiums and yes I do have my personal preferences.  It's got nothing whatsoever to do with whether I like an artist's music or not.  I suppose in choosing not to see U2 in a stadium it does help that I'm more a fan of their music than their live shows.

As to any 'selfishness' I may exhibit (which I don't understand how it applies to the exercise of free choice in whether I go and see a concert or not and indeed, pony up the 150 a ticket U2 were asking to see them in a stadium!), I would say that U2 are being 'selfish' by choosing to play an all stadium tour for 'money-grabbing' reasons while ignoring the wish of a large number of their fans to see them in an arena.  This leads me to believe that U2 are more interested in maximizing their profits than in satisfying the wants of their fans (and customers).

« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 05:16:38 PM by Tumbling Dice »

Offline Zooropa Baby Pop

• Child of Grace
  • You've Got A Head Full Of Traffic
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2011, 05:24:54 PM »
Arena tour but only if they would play a lot of new material and some of their rarities.

If they were going to play a couple of new songs with all the hits, with the occasional rarity thrown in, I'd rather it be all stadiums. Just makes more sense.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2011, 05:29:22 PM »
It seems the most logical thing in the world to me for U2 to play a mixed tour of stadiums and arenas, with a few theatre shows thrown in.

Just like the Stones did on their 'Licks' tour, with different types of set-list for each type of venue.

Then everybody's happy.

satellitedog01

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2011, 05:34:15 PM »
Except U2, who'd have to learn more songs... Well, I hope this last leg and Glasto give them some fresh appetite for music.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2011, 05:44:06 PM »
a few theatre shows thrown in.
Then everybody's happy.

except the people who didn't get tickets to the theatre shows.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2011, 05:54:32 PM »
Then everybody's happy.

But doesn't virtually everybody want to see U2 in a stadium?

Anyway, I'm not an envious bloke, I'd be happy for those lucky enough to get in, and hopefullly U2 would then release an official DVD like the Stones 'Flicks' DVD including a show in each type of venue with a different kind of set-list for each show.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2011, 06:02:24 PM »
Then everybody's happy.

But doesn't virtually everybody want to see U2 in a stadium?

Anyway, I'm not an envious bloke, I'd be happy for those lucky enough to get in, and hopefullly U2 would then release an official DVD like the Stones 'Flicks' DVD including a show in each type of venue with a different kind of set-list for each show.

I don't know, unlike some people here on the forum I don't intentionally try to speak for "everybody." As long as I can see them live they can play in a card board box.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2011, 08:42:41 PM »
Arenas - I hate stadium parking.

You Americans and your cars.  ::)  Have you ever thought about taking the train?

I would like to take the train.  There is no train station in my town or within a 20 mile radius and my conservative Republican governor has no interest in expanding the rail system.

And I'm only an hour outside of Manhattan...

Has there always been a Republican governor in your state?

No, but our current one killed a major project that could have been the beginning of an expansion.

The sad thing is that when my grandfather was a teenager there was a station in town where you could pick up a train and make your way into Manhattan.  So much for progress.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2011, 09:43:06 PM »
Arenas please. They did a big tour already (360), so it's time to go back to arenas. Especially when they play in the U.S. (all of those darned empty seats!  >:()

More Elevation-style, less spinal tap Claw type monstrosities

Hey, this thread isn't about the Spider Man musical!  ;) ;)

Offline Zooropa Baby Pop

• Child of Grace
  • You've Got A Head Full Of Traffic
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 04:45:58 PM »
Something bigger than The Claw, play in it once and then go to an arena setting.

satellitedog01

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2011, 05:53:49 PM »
I want a big production in a small venue(s). (but NOT Turn off the Dark)

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2011, 06:46:01 PM »
Play in Alaska in front of the northern lights and broadcast it internationally.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2011, 10:03:14 PM »
"I WILL NOT see U2 because I (don't) want...."

anything that follows the word "want" ("to see them in an arena" or "to see them in a stadium") results in a selfish sounding sentence.  You will not experience something as rare and as tremendous as seeing U2 live because YOU WANT it to be in a different venue, that screams selfishness to me.  You have been given an incredible opportunity but will not accept it because you want more.  Just be happy that you have the ability to see one of your favorite bands, if not you're favorite all together. 

But maybe U2 is playing a stadium show because they fell in love with the idea of playing in the round and the idea of The Claw, but no I guess it's just for money grabbing reasons right?  ;)  They switched from arenas to stadiums on Zoo TV, played stadiums on Popmart, the JT Tour, and Vertigo for money grabbing reasons too I guess

satellitedog01

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2011, 02:32:18 AM »
Lol... no not every opportunity is created equally incredible. I'm pretty glad I missed out on the 2009 Zagreb gig as my friends gave reports afterwards that Bono was tired and it was just an ok show (and these are Bono and Adam girls we're talking about).

U2 playing a stadium to be able to play in a round? You  could play in a round in a large enough pub, c'mon.

They play stadiums because they don't want to spend three years on the road continuously to sate audience demand in arenas.
And since stadiums are big enough for a spectacular stage and frankly it needs video screens for the far seats to see the band, they started building such.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2011, 01:13:29 PM »
I want U2 to play only theaters from now on so they can be on the road continuously for the next 6 years.