Author Topic: 360 tour has become a nostalgia Zoo TV tour  (Read 3972 times)

I threw a brick

Re: 360 tour has become a nostalgia Zoo TV tour
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 03:38:55 PM »
Glastonbury just around the corner and u2 decide to load concerts with more Achtung Baby songs ,  a cynic would think that u2 are going to use this opportunity to promote their soon to be newest release ....  Achtung Baby (deluxe)   ;)      now thats showbusiness   :D

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 03:41:43 PM »
"We make a show, we do the business, baby, this is showbusiness."

« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 03:55:30 PM by Tumbling Dice »

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 07:08:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
They aren't touring NLOTH anymore. The album is done. It's over 2 yrs old and never connected with anyone outside the hard core audience. Why beat it over the audience's head when they can play songs that the majority of people would rather hear.

In other words, it's become a nostalgia tour.

If that's what you want to label it, that's fine. They do not have a current album to promote (other than Achtung remaster) so I see it more as a U2 concert with songs from all periods.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 08:40:18 PM »
"We make a show, we do the business, baby, this is showbusiness."

Funny how true it sounds now.  :D

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 09:52:41 PM »
Ever since the inclusion of EBTTRT and Zooropa, the set featured 5 Zoo TV era songs (the Batman song or UV, whichever gets played in the encore).

And now the 6th AB song enters the show....too bad for a band that believes in promoting the new music.

Bloody great show though! (The stadium, as in the stadium itself, was rocking - literally.)

Four from Unforgettable Fire, five from Joshua Tree, six from Achtung Baby, five from ATYCLB. Pick your tour nostalgia :)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 09:56:10 PM »
For someone who has only seen 360 thrice, I am at least lucky to have seen all three incarnations of it. I saw the NLOTH leg when they played all seven new songs (Vancouver 2009); I saw the Greatest Hits leg when they'd dropped most of the NLOTH songs but were playing a couple unreleased numbers (Paris 2010); and I saw the Nostalgia leg when they ditched the unreleased songs for '90s-era deeper cuts (Seattle 2011).

Odd as it may sound, my least favorite version of 360 was the one when it was a true NLOTH tour. I just didn't feel like songs like Breathe and UC really connected live. Now on paper I should have liked the Paris show the least, but when it comes to pure atmosphere and crowd participation, it was unparalleled. Then, if we're talking about strict band performance, Seattle was epic.

And for all the hullabaloo about the setlist last night, I would choose the Seattle setlist over Anaheim 2. I would rather hear Stay than Stuck, and I might even rather hear Magnificent than The Fly. Well, maybe not, but still....

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 10:02:04 PM »
For someone who has only seen 360 thrice, I am at least lucky to have seen all three incarnations of it. I saw the NLOTH leg when they played all seven new songs (Vancouver 2009); I saw the Greatest Hits leg when they'd dropped most of the NLOTH songs but were playing a couple unreleased numbers (Paris 2010); and I saw the Nostalgia leg when they ditched the unreleased songs for '90s-era deeper cuts (Seattle 2011).

Odd as it may sound, my least favorite version of 360 was the one when it was a true NLOTH tour. I just didn't feel like songs like Breathe and UC really connected live. Now on paper I should have liked the Paris show the least, but when it comes to pure atmosphere and crowd participation, it was unparalleled. Then, if we're talking about strict band performance, Seattle was epic.

And for all the hullabaloo about the setlist last night, I would choose the Seattle setlist over Anaheim 2. I would rather hear Stay than Stuck, and I might even rather hear Magnificent than The Fly. Well, maybe not, but still....

I think the same, I remember Breathe sounding good and all as an opener. But the problem it had, was it sounded very flat. It never really got any louder or more powerful than the second it started, and it kinda wasn't as good as I had once thought.

Unknown Caller also sounded good, but confused the hell out of crowds for some reason, especially in America. Even with the chanting lyrics on the screen, it got no response (Americans can't read??). I enjoyed it, but people next to me were rather quiet during it.

The last song dropped, NLOTH, should have stayed. It's a good rocker, and flows nicely, whether in the regular manner or the semi acousitic performance in Helsinki 2.

And now they screwed up Magnificent. -_-

Offline dezmaas

• Stateless
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 12:09:25 AM »
Rehearsing for Glastonbury. Achtung Y'all!

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 12:45:32 AM »
It is pointless to continue playing songs from an album no one really cares about.  Might as well makes the fans happy.

Cheers,

J

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 01:43:41 AM »
Odd as it may sound, my least favorite version of 360 was the one when it was a true NLOTH tour. I just didn't feel like songs like Breathe and UC really connected live. Now on paper I should have liked the Paris show the least, but when it comes to pure atmosphere and crowd participation, it was unparalleled.

Agreed on that. Of my four shows, the first two in Dublin 2009 definitely had the 'best' setlists but the atmosphere, crowd participation and the band's energy didn't even come close to what I saw in Torino in Paris in 2010. Setlist isn't everything!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 02:02:30 AM »
Odd as it may sound, my least favorite version of 360 was the one when it was a true NLOTH tour. I just didn't feel like songs like Breathe and UC really connected live. Now on paper I should have liked the Paris show the least, but when it comes to pure atmosphere and crowd participation, it was unparalleled.

Agreed on that. Of my four shows, the first two in Dublin 2009 definitely had the 'best' setlists but the atmosphere, crowd participation and the band's energy didn't even come close to what I saw in Torino in Paris in 2010. Setlist isn't everything!

Yep. From where I was standing in the Stade du France (I could see the Eiffel Tower), I would estimate that around 78K of the 80K people in attendance were jumping up and down during the intro to Streets. In my experience it was eclipsed only by Sarajevo as far as crown excitement is concerned.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 08:07:38 AM »
They aren't touring NLOTH anymore. The album is done. It's over 2 yrs old and never connected with anyone outside the hard core audience. Why beat it over the audience's head when they can play songs that the majority of people would rather hear.

In other words, it's become a nostalgia tour.

If that's what you want to label it, that's fine. They do not have a current album to promote (other than Achtung remaster) so I see it more as a U2 concert with songs from all periods.

Yes, they do. They could easily have continued to play 7 songs off NLOTH. Bring in WAS in the acoustic spot, bring SUC...try FEZ if they feel like playing a studio piece like Zooropa.

It's ironic that the internet forums got in flames over 4 (rarely 5) songs off a 10 year old album when U2's been regularly having 5 (now 6, a full half) from a 20 year old record.

Now maybe The Fly is in due to Glastonbury but still. Sad to see them dropping a 2 year old album for a 20 year old one. And dropping a tour promoting the actual last album release over a mess of a setlist in 2010, and a Zoo TV nostalgia in 2011.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 08:09:36 AM by xy »

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
It is pointless to continue playing songs from an album no one really cares about.  Might as well makes the fans happy.

Cheers,

J

Yep, we're all obviously delighted.

Offline Lebowski

• Refugee
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 09:29:02 AM »

There's something to be said for that, but why keep playing Get On Your Boots and trying to make people like it? 

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 09:49:57 AM »

There's something to be said for that, but why keep playing Get On Your Boots and trying to make people like it? 

Because it rocks like a monster live and gets a great reception, however bad the studio version?