Author Topic: 360 tour has become a nostalgia Zoo TV tour  (Read 3975 times)

Offline Zooropa Baby Pop

• Child of Grace
  • You've Got A Head Full Of Traffic
Re: 360 tour has become a nostalgia Zoo TV tour
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 11:05:54 AM »
Get On Your Boots is a beast live. If they can make such a poor song that exciting then they should certainly keep playing it. Won't be played at Glasto though :(

Offline wraitii

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2011, 11:21:26 AM »
It's quite "funny" actually. The song hailed by everyone (but a few, including me), Magnificent, failed to deliver, while the song everyone hated is a beast live.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 11:24:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Odd as it may sound, my least favorite version of 360 was the one when it was a true NLOTH tour. I just didn't feel like songs like Breathe and UC really connected live. Now on paper I should have liked the Paris show the least, but when it comes to pure atmosphere and crowd participation, it was unparalleled.

Agreed on that. Of my four shows, the first two in Dublin 2009 definitely had the 'best' setlists but the atmosphere, crowd participation and the band's energy didn't even come close to what I saw in Torino in Paris in 2010. Setlist isn't everything!

Yep. From where I was standing in the Stade du France (I could see the Eiffel Tower), I would estimate that around 78K of the 80K people in attendance were jumping up and down during the intro to Streets. In my experience it was eclipsed only by Sarajevo as far as crown excitement is concerned.

You guys would love a Rolling Stones show.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
Won't be played at Glasto though :(

Of course it will.  It's a roaring rock song

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 11:44:41 AM »
Odd as it may sound, my least favorite version of 360 was the one when it was a true NLOTH tour. I just didn't feel like songs like Breathe and UC really connected live. Now on paper I should have liked the Paris show the least, but when it comes to pure atmosphere and crowd participation, it was unparalleled.

Agreed on that. Of my four shows, the first two in Dublin 2009 definitely had the 'best' setlists but the atmosphere, crowd participation and the band's energy didn't even come close to what I saw in Torino in Paris in 2010. Setlist isn't everything!

Yep. From where I was standing in the Stade du France (I could see the Eiffel Tower), I would estimate that around 78K of the 80K people in attendance were jumping up and down during the intro to Streets. In my experience it was eclipsed only by Sarajevo as far as crown excitement is concerned.

You guys would love a Rolling Stones show.

I don't think I could name more than five RS songs, even if you held a gun to my head.

Offline JohnInAthens

• Refugee
  • atU2 Staff - Venue Archaeologist
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 12:26:20 PM »
That statement is to a music forum as "I brush my teeth once a week" is to a dental forum.

I am shocked and saddened for you.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 01:56:24 PM »
That statement is to a music forum as "I brush my teeth once a week" is to a dental forum.

Actually, your illustration would work if this were a Rolling Stones forum instead of a U2 one. They say you're either a Stones or Beatles person, and I'm definitely the latter!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2011, 02:19:35 PM »

They say you're either a Stones or Beatles person, and I'm definitely the latter!

I think that's true, although I could name 100 Beatles songs, even without a gun pointed at my head.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2011, 02:56:08 PM »

They say you're either a Stones or Beatles person, and I'm definitely the latter!

I think that's true, although I could name 100 Beatles songs, even without a gun pointed at my head.

Well, I was exaggerating a bit about only being able to name 5 Stones songs, but I doubt I could name more than ten.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 03:56:05 PM »
They aren't touring NLOTH anymore. The album is done. It's over 2 yrs old and never connected with anyone outside the hard core audience. Why beat it over the audience's head when they can play songs that the majority of people would rather hear.

There's something to be said for that, but why keep playing Get On Your Boots and trying to make people like it?  

Judging by the response it got in SLC ,Boots was already a winner. I'm beginning to wonder if it was the video that turned me off to the song so much initially and not the song itself? I hate that video.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2011, 04:30:36 PM »
They aren't touring NLOTH anymore. The album is done. It's over 2 yrs old and never connected with anyone outside the hard core audience. Why beat it over the audience's head when they can play songs that the majority of people would rather hear.

There's something to be said for that, but why keep playing Get On Your Boots and trying to make people like it?  

Judging by the response it got in SLC ,Boots was already a winner. I'm beginning to wonder if it was the video that turned me off to the song so much initially and not the song itself? I hate that video.

tell me about it. i hate that damn video.

Offline Zooropa Baby Pop

• Child of Grace
  • You've Got A Head Full Of Traffic
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »

tell me about it. i hate that damn video.

nt as bad as the animated crazy tonight video. that really sucks.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2011, 10:06:10 PM »
The animated Crazy Tonight video is incredible in my opinion, almost made me cry  :D

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2011, 10:08:02 PM »
None of the videos now will beat any of the 90s videos as far as I'm concerned.

And I did like the Crazy Tonight video. :)

Offline Chrisedge

• Wanderer
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2011, 05:05:47 PM »
People b**** for years wanting a ZOO TV (2) show, they get a sample of what it was like 20 years later, and people still b****. I was at both Anaheim shows (and 6 others this tour) and both nights rocked. Sat night was esp great.

Any U2 show is a blessing.