Author Topic: Well, what did you make of the Glastonbury show?  (Read 14056 times)

Offline able

• Babyface
Re: Well, what did you make of the Glastonbury show?
« Reply #150 on: June 27, 2011, 05:33:10 PM »
I thought it was great from start to finish.
Good mix of songs.
Some old Some new.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
Re: U2 Glastonbury... a little sloppy?
« Reply #151 on: June 27, 2011, 06:28:33 PM »
Other than MOS it was good. Better than the Rose Bowl show. Miles better than the other headliners.

Offline Zooropa Baby Pop

• Child of Grace
  • You've Got A Head Full Of Traffic
« Reply #152 on: June 28, 2011, 02:06:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
OH FFS HOW MANY GODDAMN THREADS DO WE NEED

TOO MANY

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #153 on: June 28, 2011, 02:59:11 AM »

who was best?

satellitedog01

« Reply #154 on: June 28, 2011, 05:41:57 AM »
Anyone who hasn't seen all of the performances around Glasto will never know. :-)
The fans are voting rabidly though.

Offline ciaz

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #155 on: June 28, 2011, 06:35:58 AM »
I don't particularly get or agree with the 'MoS killed the crowd' argument. I really don't see how it can be argued to have killed the crowd more than 'Stay' or, hell, more than 'UTEOTW'. During all three songs, every time you see the crowd, they are fairly sedate because... well, what are you meant to do during it when you don't know the lyrics? The only real way to judge is whether they sing along or clap along when asked and they did that every single time during MoS in MASSIVE numbers. And then MoS outsold songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday on iTunes after the gig. (Which isn't just because 'everyone already had' SBS or anything, since WOWY, ISHF and One were top and clearly everyone already has them just as much as SBS!  :D)

I don't buy that MoS killed the crowd.

Fair enough. But from actually being there, right near the front, I can tell you that it certainly did kill it for the people around me.

Stay didn't. I could hear people singing along.

UTETOW didn't - it's a rocker. Though people were't going crazy, some people around me still knew the words, and most people were at least bobbing their heads. People were certainly enjoying the spectacle/song.

The same could not be said, at all, for MOS. My friends who were with me at that point, who were casual fans, thought it was bizarre to play it in the encore, it completely killed it for them. Though one of them did admit he liked the song at least, but still said it was a mood killer.

Offline Falling At Your Feet

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #156 on: June 28, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
I am merging this thread with the earlier thread on Glastonbury reviews.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #157 on: June 28, 2011, 06:02:14 PM »
I don't particularly get or agree with the 'MoS killed the crowd' argument. I really don't see how it can be argued to have killed the crowd more than 'Stay' or, hell, more than 'UTEOTW'. During all three songs, every time you see the crowd, they are fairly sedate because... well, what are you meant to do during it when you don't know the lyrics? The only real way to judge is whether they sing along or clap along when asked and they did that every single time during MoS in MASSIVE numbers. And then MoS outsold songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday on iTunes after the gig. (Which isn't just because 'everyone already had' SBS or anything, since WOWY, ISHF and One were top and clearly everyone already has them just as much as SBS!  :D)

I don't buy that MoS killed the crowd.

Fair enough. But from actually being there, right near the front, I can tell you that it certainly did kill it for the people around me.

Stay didn't. I could hear people singing along.

UTETOW didn't - it's a rocker. Though people were't going crazy, some people around me still knew the words, and most people were at least bobbing their heads. People were certainly enjoying the spectacle/song.

The same could not be said, at all, for MOS. My friends who were with me at that point, who were casual fans, thought it was bizarre to play it in the encore, it completely killed it for them. Though one of them did admit he liked the song at least, but still said it was a mood killer.

should have ended it with 40 after mos that was the big mistake 4 mins more would have made it epic

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #158 on: June 28, 2011, 06:15:05 PM »

THANK YOU

Offline Stanners73

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2011, 09:37:52 AM »
Well i was there and i gotta say i was disappointed with the whole set up. I was central to the stage and fairly near the front and the sound was absolutely dreadful. Bono's voice kept going quiet and I couldn't really hear the crowd singing at all, whether this was due to the sound technicians or the wind which was quite strong i don't know. All i know is it should have been alot better, the sad thing is when i watched the whole show at home, the band and the crowd sounded great and i felt robbed!
Unfortunately there was a bit of an anti U2 atitude within the crowd which is quite sad as i've been to Glasto many times and always found the crowd to be very open minded about all music.
Also, and I hate to say this, Coldplay sounded alot better and the crowd more up for it, but they did have alot better weather for their show. Highlight for me was Pulp on the small Park stage, Jarvis Cocker was fantastic and am looking forward to seeing them at Hyde Park on Sun

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #160 on: June 29, 2011, 03:44:32 PM »

THANK YOU

:D :D :D :D

Now that counts as 2 threads for Glasto in the Ultimate Showdown thread  ;)  ;D