Author Topic: Well, what did you make of the Glastonbury show?  (Read 14060 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Well, what did you make of the Glastonbury show?
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2011, 05:42:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Cannot believe anyone who would criticise Bono tonight- he gave 10,000%, more than I've ever seen him give.

I don't envy your U2 experiences TUC :-) The gig was fine, but Bono was very, very stiff. There were steps leading down to ground level, he didn't go anywhere near the audience.

Bono was stiff, chunky and very, very grounded.  He really looked what he is in glorious High Definition.

I expected him to go down to the crowd at one stage at the end of Bad and then the song just ended.

I thought that maybe it was the security issue or what with the rain it may have been slippery down there and Bono didn't fancy another 6 months out of action with only a few more shows to go.  I just don't know, maybe it was never on the cards.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2011, 05:42:26 PM »
Also, am I the only one who thinks they may have used prerecorded crowd singing to warm up the actual audience? :-)

OMG I hope not. That's taking their recorded embellishments of songs a little too far. What's next a clap track?

I'm not saying the audience didn't sing along, but the crowd singing came on instantly, each and every time Bono suggested it... hm...

It was the ILLUMINATI! They control Robo-Bono remotely and he has the power to hypnotize the crowd and have them jump and scream when he says so..
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:45:03 PM by mattressjedi »

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2011, 05:43:05 PM »
Also, am I the only one who thinks they may have used prerecorded crowd singing to warm up the actual audience? :-)

OMG I hope not. That's taking their recorded embellishments of songs a little too far. What's next a clap track?

I'm not saying the audience didn't sing along, but the crowd singing came on instantly, each and every time Bono suggested it... hm...

That's just the BBC; they always turn the crowd volume up a lot when the artists want to at Glastonbury. But that doesn't mean U2 didn't get a huge reaction- compare some of the lukewarm 'Hoo-hoooo's during Bad when the crowd didn't really get that they were meant to sing to... well, all of WOWY.

Offline Gonk

• Babyface
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2011, 05:45:22 PM »
Wow... I have my criticisms of the 360 tour but this is Glastonbury not a U2 show... therefore I think the set was perfect, granted 4/5 songs off the bat from Achtung Baby was a bit odd but the performance was (excuse me) REAL, Edge fluffed a few notes on the first couple of songs but the band was as close as I've seen them for years and that's what makes U2 great, it's not the stage, screen or spectacle, it's the moment that Bono gives Larry a nod, Adam gives his trademark stance, these things were present.

Any criticism anyone could throw at U2 at Glastonbury could be thrown at them for one their own shows, this time was different though it wasn't a home crowd.
This was the first time in a long time I saw Edge go absolutely Bonkers throwing himself around and Bono even though he didn't go to the crowd was fighting for their attention, God even Larry looked as close to smiling as I've seen him in years ;-P

BTW I've not seen any of U2 say their best work was 20 years ago??

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2011, 05:46:18 PM »
This has just reaffirmed my conviction that U2 are a MUCH better studio band than live band nowadays.  Their sound has been almost identical for the last 3 tours now.

At least I've still go my U2 albums and soon to be remastered AB and Zooropa to look forward to.  They, at least, will give me a lifetime's listening pleasure.

satellitedog01

« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2011, 05:48:36 PM »

That's just the BBC; they always turn the crowd volume up a lot when the artists want to at Glastonbury. But that doesn't mean U2 didn't get a huge reaction- compare some of the lukewarm 'Hoo-hoooo's during Bad when the crowd didn't really get that they were meant to sing to... well, all of WOWY.

Well yeah WOWY was pretty silent, but I'll go for the illuminati theory. That would actually explain Bono's stiffness! :-)

Offline Vervefloyd

• Refugee
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2011, 05:51:24 PM »

My friend was just telling me she was there on the right hand side somewhat close to the stage and the some people were singing along but the crowd was pretty subdued.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2011, 05:51:59 PM »
Cannot believe anyone who would criticise Bono tonight- he gave 10,000%, more than I've ever seen him give.

I don't envy your U2 experiences TUC :-) The gig was fine, but Bono was very, very stiff. There were steps leading down to ground level, he didn't go anywhere near the audience.

Well, I saw them at Torino *just* after Bono's return from surgery, when he was hellbent on proving himself, and that was the only thing I've seen comparable.

satellitedog01

« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2011, 05:54:10 PM »
Well, then I'm glad you liked the show, TUC. What I saw of Torino Bono was a lot more loose, jumpy kinda rockstar. Clad in hideous grey plastic. :-D

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2011, 05:54:26 PM »

My friend was just telling me she was there on the right hand side somewhat close to the stage and the some people were singing along but the crowd was pretty subdued.

Grain.of.salt. No make that truckload of salt. You've been bagging on the performance and the crowd from the get go.

And I saw the video with thousands of peeps singing along and clapping along. The lengths some will go to cast this as something it was not....
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 05:56:12 PM by mattressjedi »

• Holy Joe
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2011, 06:00:30 PM »

Grain.of.salt. No make that truckload of salt. You've been bagging on the performance and the crowd from the get go.

And I saw the video with thousands of peeps singing along and clapping along. The lengths some will go to cast this as something it was not....

Agreed. We will have the anecdotes, as always. And then we'll have the crowd reactions to Vertigo, Elevation, One, Streets, WOWY, ISHF, Stay, Bad, Pride...

Offline Blue2

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2011, 06:03:54 PM »
Watched on TV. Can't complain with the performance at an "away" game like that.  Not a set to please the diehards who would demand something obscure and challenging. The performance was pitched right for the circumstances. Bono was restricted by the slipperiness of the conditions - admitted as much in post-gig interview. Personally would have preferred Streets later in the set and perhaps the inclusion of New Year's Day but you can't have everything!

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2011, 06:04:07 PM »
it went down pretty much as i expected music crisp and clear. bonos voice 100%. done primal scream better than primal scream done coldplay better than coldplay ;D when it comes to live music they cant be beaten . downside they played really safe no risks never even got 40 . out of control was the only song played that they have not used on 360 tour. but i guess we would only have gotten half a dozen surprises if they had about 2 weeks to prepare not when they are right in the middle of a tour u2 have never taken risks like that.. so i for one waited more in hope than expectation

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2011, 06:04:39 PM »
Watched on TV. Can't complain with the performance at an "away" game like that.  Not a set to please the diehards who would demand something obscure and challenging. The performance was pitched right for the circumstances. Bono was restricted by the slipperiness of the conditions - admitted as much in post-gig interview. Personally would have preferred Streets later in the set and perhaps the inclusion of New Year's Day but you can't have everything!

I was just about to point that out.

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2011, 06:05:27 PM »
it went down pretty much as i expected music crisp and clear. bonos voice 100%. done primal scream better than primal scream done coldplay better than coldplay ;D when it comes to live music they cant be beaten . downside they played really safe no risks never even got 40 . out of control was the only song played that they have not used on 360 tour. but i guess we would only have gotten half a dozen surprises if they had about 2 weeks to prepare not when they are right in the middle of a tour u2 have never taken risks like that.. so i for one waited more in hope than expectation

Actually, they have played OOC.