Author Topic: Sound Quality/Mp3/WAV and the remastered albums.  (Read 4484 times)

Offline melbourne85

• Babyface
Sound Quality/Mp3/WAV and the remastered albums.
« on: October 25, 2008, 02:36:23 AM »
Does anyone else hate mp3s? I used to think that mp3s were all the rage, and now i'm really discovering the difference between mp3s and uncompressed music.
I've recently joined the ipod generation, and am loving it. After listen to some music through a friends really good set of headphones I decided that I wanted to get some too!

Anyway, after re-ripping all my U2 onto itunes in WAV format and getting rid of the MP3s, and listening to the music through a pair of Technics RP DJ 1200s i'm hearing parts of the music that i'd never heard before.

Does anyone else feel that same way? Or are most people happy with mp3s and can't tell the difference?

If you really love you U2, have plenty of space on your ipod, and don't mind spending a bit of cabbage on a good pair of headphones then i recommend doing that same, i sure don't regret it.

Offline melbourne85

• Babyface
Re: Sound Quality/Mp3/WAV and the remastered albums.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 02:38:23 AM »
I also meant to say that the joshua tree remastered cd sounds absolutly terrific!

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 02:40:47 AM »
How about WMA files, can they fit on an iPod.

I like mp3s though.  ;)

Offline coolbluereason

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 02:28:39 PM »
this is the reason i like to listen to my vinyl copies of their music rather than the CDs. you hear all the little details.

Offline MateoU2

• Babyface
  • Running To Standstill
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 06:36:22 PM »
I ripped them to WMA with the best quality and even with the iPod headphones you can listen quite a lot of tiny details.

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 11:38:08 PM »
The only time I listen to mp3s is when I'm on an airplane. But for any "critical" listening, no, mp3's suck.
I love all of the remastered CDs of today, and the remastered vinyls are pretty nice as well. Good sound is always relative, and after I invested in some nice higher-end stereo equipment, there's just no going back. Good stereo components (receiver/amp & speakers) will point out the bad in the bad recordings, as well as pointing out the good in the good recordings. And another way I look at that is if I'm not hearing all of the bad stuff in the mp3s, I can be sure that I'm also missing some stuff on the high end of it too.
And that's the stuff that makes it sound so good. But when it's compressed....it's gone.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 12:40:51 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The only time I listen to mp3s is when I'm on an airplane. But for any "critical" listening, no, mp3's suck.
I love all of the remastered CDs of today, and the remastered vinyls are pretty nice as well. Good sound is always relative, and after I invested in some nice higher-end stereo equipment, there's just no going back. Good stereo components (receiver/amp & speakers) will point out the bad in the bad recordings, as well as pointing out the good in the good recordings. And another way I look at that is if I'm not hearing all of the bad stuff in the mp3s, I can be sure that I'm also missing some stuff on the high end of it too.
And that's the stuff that makes it sound so good. But when it's compressed....it's gone.

I'm with Hawk.  I realize that the ability to have music be portable is a nice option, but the quality sucks.  Those here who have never listened to music from a great source played through a great set of speakers or at least great headphones have missed an experience.  Going through life with an iPod only is the eighth deadly sin.   :P

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 04:11:37 PM »
Going through life with an iPod only is the eighth deadly sin.   :P

Unless it's a U2 iPod!

Seriously, I have to agree.  I loaded my remasters into my car stereo (which is pretty good, I must say!) and often have to turn down the volume because I've heard something I hadn't before and worried that something is wrong with the car!

Offline Stanley

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 02:43:47 PM »
Anyway, after re-ripping all my U2 onto itunes in WAV

You should have ripped to Apple Lossless format.

Offline Mr. T

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 03:59:38 PM »
It's all about bit rate.

256kbps sounds fantastic on headphones and large stereos.