Poll

are you happy with the performance/setlist

Yes
67 (93.1%)
No
5 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: Are you happy about Glasto?  (Read 4230 times)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: Are you happy about Glasto?
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2011, 09:38:41 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Forgive me for asking.  But why was the Glasto concert anymore important than a U.S. show?   

Because it's Glastonbury. Because it's playing a a neutral or hostile crowd, because they've not played a festival for over 20 years, because there was the anticipation of them missing last year, because it was a stripped down stage where they had to rely on sound and sound alone, no claws, no spaceships, no lemons, because they....

well hopefully you get the point.

US shows are a dime a dozen. There is only one Glastonbury.

Offline Venkman

• Wanderer
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2011, 04:53:10 AM »
This is my 1st post in AGES but I feel I must put in my 2 cents worth....
Very Valid point about them having a year to prep due to Bono's back. I think that helped them examin what would go down well/not so well etc...

They were nervous, and for us U2ers who know their performances inside and out we can spot the little fluffs that they made etc. But to an audience of non U2 fans all they could hear was the songs, the big picture if you will. I wasnt at Glastonbury but I have seen the Band 4 times live (Leeds/Manchester/London/Sheffield) and countless times on TV, DVD etc. I could sense their nerves and I was nervous for them because if they did not deliver there would have been a savage backlash...

First up the sound. Its a live feed.. So I had to crank the sound to get any sense of the volume, it was a little low, im not suprised it would seem a little low and flat in certain places.... especially in the watching them in a field! Compare the live youtube feed of the rosebowl and then the DVD/bluray Sounds a bit different.... But I think they still played really well.

I spotted mistakes in the Fly, streets and a ton of others.. I also noticed sonically the band sounded different, mainly Edge….

Vertigo wasnt as heavy sounding on the guitars, "streets" delay intro ballsed up a little, Pride sounded a bit tinny.

I feel this is because this is new ground for the band essentially and their normal "underworld" beneath the stage control could not be used, so therefore the Amp selection is restricted, Edge cant wander off and change sounds mid song with out using his stomp boxes….

Dallas was actually crouched down on edges pedal board changing effects while edge went walkies on stage….I think he did the whammy wha pedal on elevation... This just shows that a setup different to what they are used to was quite restricted for them and not what they are used to. Which is part of the charm. I think the intro for streets came on and edge started straight away and then they kind of realised and he just kept going. Larry seemed to take control and just got everyone in together..
It wasn’t as slick but the non U2ers prob didn’t notice. They were too busy enjoying it…...

They also played a lot of stuff with minimum backing tracks and sequencers…….I will Follow, Out of Control, Fly, vertigo etc……Those songs have no backing tracks so its prob better & easier to EQ and perform. 

As a lifelong U2 fan, from a technical stand point they have played many better shows and sounded better too. However, if you look at it at an emotional context, they had been lauded, mocked and written off by many people who are/where not fans of the band.. And they went out and nailed it and basically showed them why they are still around.

To a bunch of people who have never seen em live or realise how many decent songs and hits they have that was the special thing about glastonbury for U2. U2 get a rough ride in the UK. Especially Bono………..
and I don’t think there will be many people saying they where unworthy headliners now….

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2011, 10:53:52 AM »
Forgive me for asking.  But why was the Glasto concert anymore important than a U.S. show?   

Because it's Glastonbury. Because it's playing a a neutral or hostile crowd, because they've not played a festival for over 20 years, because there was the anticipation of them missing last year, because it was a stripped down stage where they had to rely on sound and sound alone, no claws, no spaceships, no lemons, because they....

This. Not to mention a HUGE TV audience and media profile.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2011, 02:34:09 PM »
I watched an interview on you tube.  Where Bono was worried about the slickness of the stage.  Saying it was like ice.  He stood still.  Probably because he was afraid of falling.  Larry said in the same interview.  He didn't like how distant the crowd was from the stage.  He had difficulty playing because of the rain and wanted the crowd closer to the band.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2011, 07:45:17 PM »

Yep, got it.    ;)