Author Topic: Where were the surprises Larry promised at Glastonbury?  (Read 5510 times)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
Re: Where were the surprises Larry promised at Glastonbury?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2011, 04:17:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Is it even possible to be nostalgic about Scarlet or Your Blue Room, songs never played in a concert setting  ???

A nostalgia tour is about nostalgia for an artists back catalogue and not necessarily nostalgia for songs an artist has performed on tour in the past.

So then every single U2 tour since the October Tour has been a nostalgia tour, as the number of songs being played from the supported album is less than the amount of songs being played from albums past

Well, it all depends on how many songs from an artist's latest album that they play throughout the tour.  All U2's tours before Vertigo were not what I would call nostalgia tours.

The Elevation Tour only had 7 songs from ATYCLB that were played regulary

And all 7 were played, for the most part, for the full duration of the tour.

When the Rolling Stones Voodoo Lounge tour kicked off they were playing 7 songs from their new album, too.  And yet many U2 fans on this forum would call it a nostalgia tour.

I feel that "nostalgia" and "greatest hits" are one in the same, thats why I can't call 360 a "nostalgia" tour.  I just can't

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2011, 04:19:09 PM »
Is it even possible to be nostalgic about Scarlet or Your Blue Room, songs never played in a concert setting  ???

A nostalgia tour is about nostalgia for an artists back catalogue and not necessarily nostalgia for songs an artist has performed on tour in the past.

So then every single U2 tour since the October Tour has been a nostalgia tour, as the number of songs being played from the supported album is less than the amount of songs being played from albums past

Well, it all depends on how many songs from an artist's latest album that they play throughout the tour.  All U2's tours before Vertigo were not what I would call nostalgia tours.

The Elevation Tour only had 7 songs from ATYCLB that were played regulary

And all 7 were played, for the most part, for the full duration of the tour.

When the Rolling Stones Voodoo Lounge tour kicked off they were playing 7 songs from their new album, too.  And yet many U2 fans on this forum would call it a nostalgia tour.

I feel that "nostalgia" and "greatest hits" are one in the same, thats why I can't call 360 a "nostalgia" tour.  I just can't
They are a meaningless distinction.

The terms nostalgia, greatest hits, back catalogue can all be used interchangably to describe the same thing.  

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2011, 04:20:51 PM »
Every song they played at Glastonbury were previously played songs from the 360 tour.

A really, really silly argument since some of those songs - certainly the Fly at the very least- were only played on 360 in rehearsal for Glastonbury.

No it wasn't, any more than EBTTRT was.

...Seriously?

It's a COMPLETE coincidence that The Fly first appeared on the 360 Tour after they began Glastonbury rehearsals?

....In the first half of a set looking suspiciously similar to the first half of Glastonbury?

...A week before Glastonbury?

...Wow. Okay. :)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2011, 04:26:53 PM »
Every song they played at Glastonbury were previously played songs from the 360 tour.

A really, really silly argument since some of those songs - certainly the Fly at the very least- were only played on 360 in rehearsal for Glastonbury.

No it wasn't, any more than EBTTRT was.

...Seriously?

It's a COMPLETE coincidence that The Fly first appeared on the 360 Tour after they began Glastonbury rehearsals?

....In the first half of a set looking suspiciously similar to the first half of Glastonbury?

...A week before Glastonbury?

...Wow. Okay. :)

I think you've got things ar*e about face- the first half of Glastonbury looks similar to the first half of their 360 shows.  But then when Glastonbury is just another show on the 360 tour (albeit with a truncated set) and nothing more, what do you expect?

The Michigan show will also have a similar first half to Glastonbury as well, and they will continue to play The Fly for most of the rest of the tour.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2011, 04:31:02 PM »
No, that's not quite accurate. The first half of Glastonbury looks like the first half of the 360 tour suddenly switched to being less than a week before Glastonbury. It actually doesn't really look all that much in order like, say, the entire 360 Tour up until last week.

Now maybe that is indeed what they were always planning, and it's a total coincidence that Glasto was upcoming. Maybe. Because the idea that they were using the last two pre-Glastonbury gigs as rehearsals for it, hence the giant rejigging, is of course just way too out-there.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2011, 04:36:38 PM »
No, that's not quite accurate. The first half of Glastonbury looks like the first half of the 360 tour suddenly switched to being less than a week before Glastonbury. It actually doesn't really look all that much in order like, say, the entire 360 Tour up until last week.

Now maybe that is indeed what they were always planning, and it's a total coincidence that Glasto was upcoming. Maybe. Because the idea that they were using the last two pre-Glastonbury gigs as rehearsals for it, hence the giant rejigging, is of course just way too out-there.

If that is indeed true, and it is only speculation, then it's a insult to their REAL U2 fans at those two pre-Glastonbury shows that they used them as a 'rehearsal' for THAT short sterile set last night at Glastonbury.  If THAT was a highlight performance during the 360 tour then I'm sure glad I didn't spend 150 a ticket to see them on this tour.  

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 12:39:39 AM by singnomore »

• Holy Joe
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2011, 04:38:36 PM »
Aaah, so now you have decided to be offended on the behalf of fans who have not themselves expressed the slightest annoyance on these boards about their gigs being part setlist rehearsals of Glastonbury, even though it's obvious that that's what they've been.

Tell me, are you also offended for the people on Zoomerang who were used as rehearsals for ZooTV Live from Sydney? Oh, wait, no, hang on, I forgot, it's only a 'bl**dy insult' when you personally dislike the set.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 12:40:13 AM by singnomore »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2011, 04:45:52 PM »
Aaah, so now you have decided to be offended on the behalf of fans who have not themselves expressed the slightest annoyance on these boards about their gigs being part setlist rehearsals of Glastonbury, even though it's obvious that that's what they've been.

Well, it's not *obvious* that that's what they've been.  You are merely speculating that that is the case.

Tell me, are you also offended for the people on Zoomerang who were used as rehearsals for ZooTV Live from Sydney? Oh, wait, no, hang on, I forgot, it's only a 'bl**dy insult' when you personally dislike the set.

Again, fanciful speculation on your part.  The set-list on the 'Zoo TV Live from Sydney' recorded show was the same as the other shows on the Zoomerang leg.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 12:40:42 AM by singnomore »

Offline hartroc

• Numb
  • Dreaming Out Loud
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2011, 04:55:07 PM »
Tumbling Dice, I only have one question.

What WOULD you have been happy with?!?

• Holy Joe
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Everything is 'speculating' but when one speculation is 'They did a major revamp of the setlist after extensive rehearsals less than a week before Glastonbury' and the other is 'They rehearsed Glastonbury and got a plan, then they decided to change the 360 tour and by staggering coincidence, realised Glastonbury was later and changed their whole Glastonbury plan to accomodate to the new 360 set' then we can fairly safely say that one is plausible, and one... very, very unlikely.

And that is essentially your argument- that they decided on the Glastonbury setlist in its entirety some time between Saturday evening and Friday morning, despite the fact that Glastonbury rehearsals began months ago. Do you seriously, truly think that before those Glastonbury rehearsals, they were thinking "So, anyway, we're going to put The Fly into the set and reshuffle it to make an Achtung Baby opening, but let's not bother rehearsing it for a month or two, and let's create a completely different setlist in the meantime until we decide to do that one. And let's do that a week before Glastonbury."

Offline Zooropa Baby Pop

• Child of Grace
  • You've Got A Head Full Of Traffic
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2011, 04:57:46 PM »
A psychedelic funk version of So Cruel

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2011, 05:02:23 PM »
Tumbling Dice, I only have one question.

What WOULD you have been happy with?!?

A more energized, passionate, performance. 

Some improvisation from Bono. e.g physical interaction with the audience during Bad or UTEOTW, for example.

The performance of Glastonbury, the song they specifically wrote for this such occasion.

A special guest appearance.

Doing something special with a well-loved U2 song as a one-off for Glastonbury.

A much smaller GULF between the band up on high from the Glastonbury faithful.  And no army of security guards between the band and their audience.

In the final analysis, I can't do it for them, they are the performers and they have to do it, and last night they distinctly underwhelmed me.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2011, 05:04:05 PM »
Everything is 'speculating' but when one speculation is 'They did a major revamp of the setlist after extensive rehearsals less than a week before Glastonbury' and the other is 'They rehearsed Glastonbury and got a plan, then they decided to change the 360 tour and by staggering coincidence, realised Glastonbury was later and changed their whole Glastonbury plan to accomodate to the new 360 set' then we can fairly safely say that one is plausible, and one... very, very unlikely.

And that is essentially your argument- that they decided on the Glastonbury setlist in its entirety some time between Saturday evening and Friday morning, despite the fact that Glastonbury rehearsals began months ago. Do you seriously, truly think that before those Glastonbury rehearsals, they were thinking "So, anyway, we're going to put The Fly into the set and reshuffle it to make an Achtung Baby opening, but let's not bother rehearsing it for a month or two, and let's create a completely different setlist in the meantime until we decide to do that one. And let's do that a week before Glastonbury."

Eh  ???  I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2011, 05:08:20 PM »

Doing something special with a well-loved U2 song as a one-off for Glastonbury.

...Didn't Bono replace an entire verse of Bad with a full verse of 'Jerusalem'? O.o Not to mention 'Jerusalem' serving as the intro to Streets...

Eh  ???  I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.

Glastonbury rehearsals began well over a month before the set reshuffle in Anaheim II, including The Fly. It's quite simply ludicrous to think that the Glastonbury setlist reflects recent 360 rather than the other way around when they had the Glastonbury plan in place and *THEN* included The Fly in the 360 set.

Offline hartroc

• Numb
  • Dreaming Out Loud
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2011, 05:10:43 PM »
Hey, it's not like Bono and crew set up the stage...they didn't exactly have much say about the security guards and the chasm between the audience and band. Didn't you hear Larry complaining about it afterward?