Author Topic: Where were the surprises Larry promised at Glastonbury?  (Read 5456 times)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
Re: Where were the surprises Larry promised at Glastonbury?
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2011, 05:11:24 PM »
Just look at my avi. That's all I'm going to say.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2011, 05:25:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Doing something special with a well-loved U2 song as a one-off for Glastonbury.

...Didn't Bono replace an entire verse of Bad with a full verse of 'Jerusalem'? O.o Not to mention 'Jerusalem' serving as the intro to Streets...

Eh  ???  I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.

Glastonbury rehearsals began well over a month before the set reshuffle in Anaheim II, including The Fly. It's quite simply ludicrous to think that the Glastonbury setlist reflects recent 360 rather than the other way around when they had the Glastonbury plan in place and *THEN* included The Fly in the 360 set.

They also recorded in a theatre in Canada.  Do we know what they recorded?

They introduced The Real Thing and The Fly rather late in the tour to coincide with the upcoming promotion of the Achtung Baby remaster.  360 seems now to be promoting an album released 20 years ago than an album released 2 years ago.  And they will continue with the revamped set-list for the rest of the tour even though Glastonbury is now history.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2011, 05:27:29 PM »
Hey, it's not like Bono and crew set up the stage...they didn't exactly have much say about the security guards and the chasm between the audience and band. Didn't you hear Larry complaining about it afterward?

So, they were not in control of their show?  They had the staging, light show and visuals imposed on them?

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2011, 05:30:41 PM »
They also recorded in a theatre in Canada.  Do we know what they recorded?

Well... yes.

They introduced The Real Thing and The Fly rather late in the tour to coincide with the upcoming promotion of the Achtung Baby remaster.  360 seems now to be promoting an album released 20 years ago than an album released 2 years ago.  And they will continue with the revamped set-list for the rest of the tour even though Glastonbury is now history.

There was a HUGE gulf between EBTTRT and The Fly. EBTTRT debuted before the Glastonbury rehearsals, The Fly only after- and it openly first appeared in concert less than a week before!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2011, 05:41:02 PM »
They also recorded in a theatre in Canada.  Do we know what they recorded?

Well... yes.

They introduced The Real Thing and The Fly rather late in the tour to coincide with the upcoming promotion of the Achtung Baby remaster.  360 seems now to be promoting an album released 20 years ago than an album released 2 years ago.  And they will continue with the revamped set-list for the rest of the tour even though Glastonbury is now history.

There was a HUGE gulf between EBTTRT and The Fly. EBTTRT debuted before the Glastonbury rehearsals, The Fly only after- and it openly first appeared in concert less than a week before!

You seem to think that the world revolves around the so-called Glastonbury rehearsals.  They obviously felt like introducing The Real Thing as a new show opener before introducing The Fly to the set at a later date.  It's called prioritizing.  They did the same for Zooropa- introducing Stay and Numb to the set before Dirty Day, Lemon and Daddy.

If the Glastonbury set was a special one-off and the shows before it were, insultingly, rehearsals for this special one-off, then we can all expect U2 to return to the pre-Anaheim 360 set for the remainder of the tour.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 05:42:58 PM by Tumbling Dice »

• Holy Joe
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2011, 05:43:37 PM »
If the Glastonbury set was a special one-off and the shows before it were, insultingly, rehearsals for this special one-off, then we can all expect U2 to return to the pre-Anaheim 360 set.

An absolutely ridiculous argument of 2+2 = 15. That's not even remotely logical- I may as well say that 'If the Glastonury set is just another run of the mill 360 set, then we can all expect U2 to play this second half at every set from hereonin and not play Zooropa, Miss Sarajevo, COBL, AIWIY...' Although mind you, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the setlist *does* soon return to what it was pre-Anaheim anyway.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2011, 05:53:07 PM »
If the Glastonbury set was a special one-off and the shows before it were, insultingly, rehearsals for this special one-off, then we can all expect U2 to return to the pre-Anaheim 360 set.

An absolutely ridiculous argument of 2+2 = 15. That's not even remotely logical-

In your ridiculous opinion.

I may as well say that 'If the Glastonury set is just another run of the mill 360 set, then we can all expect U2 to play this second half at every set from hereonin and not play Zooropa, Miss Sarajevo, COBL, AIWIY...'

That's a ridiculous comparison. Glastonbury was not a run-of-the-mill 360 set because they only managed to play 19 songs, and so there's plenty of room to also play Zooropa, COBL, Miss Sarajevo, AIWIY for the remainder of the tour.

Although mind you, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the setlist *does* soon return to what it was pre-Anaheim anyway.

We shall see.

Offline truthsfate

• Babyface
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2011, 05:55:12 PM »
TD,

Perhaps you should have jumped inside the U2 time machine, you know , the one that landed during IALW on the first leg of the tour. Maybe it would have taken you back to that special place where you were once truly happy about what U2 was offering. Your matter-of-fact objectivity has only served to stir controversy which is shallow and pretentious at best.

I truly enjoyed the Glasto performance not because it was groundbreaking or cutting-edge, but because it was a glimpse of what U2 were once capable of. Yes it's sad that they are not able to live up to what they have proved in the past. Sure it's easy to hang off of every quote or rumour or soundbite mentioned in forums such as these. We must remember that U2 are the artist and performer here, not our sycophant saturated expectations.

T.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2011, 05:59:23 PM »
TD,

Perhaps you should have jumped inside the U2 time machine, you know , the one that landed during IALW on the first leg of the tour. Maybe it would have taken you back to that special place where you were once truly happy about what U2 was offering. Your matter-of-fact objectivity has only served to stir controversy which is shallow and pretentious at best.

It's called openly expressing my opinion on a democratic fan forum.  If you don't like my opinions, may I suggest that you don't read my posts.

I truly enjoyed the Glasto performance not because it was groundbreaking or cutting-edge, but because it was a glimpse of what U2 were once capable of. Yes it's sad that they are not able to live up to what they have proved in the past. Sure it's easy to hang off of every quote or rumour or soundbite mentioned in forums such as these. We must remember that U2 are the artist and performer here, not our sycophant saturated expectations.

T.

I respect your opinion.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2011, 06:05:19 PM »
TD,

It's called openly expressing my opinion on a democratic fan forum.  If you don't like my opinions, may I suggest that you don't read my posts.

...It's really not a democratic fan forum, or else we would be able to state as binding that this is not a Greatest Hits or Nostalgia Tour and Stingray is a song, as indicated by democratic majorities! :P

(Kidding, by the way, obviously!  :D)

Offline philip861

• Refugee
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2011, 06:25:47 PM »
So, they were not in control of their show?  They had the staging, light show and visuals imposed on them?

TD, the whole point is that it wasn't "their" show. Glastonbury is a festival, not a 360 tour date. U2 are one of about 30 acts performing across the weekend, and like all the rest, have to work within the limitations and constraints of the venue. I have to admit that being used to their close proximity to the audience on the 360 tour, I found it odd to see the band so far away from the audience. But that's the way Glastonbury is set up, and there isn't much U2 (or any act) could do about it.

It seems to me that the performance was well received by the media and those at the show (not all of whom would have been U2 fans), while the reaction amongs die hards (such as ourselves) has been less enthusiastic. I think part of the reason for us being dissappointed is the fact that, unlike pre-Vertigo tours, we have seen (some fairly high quality) footage on YouTube from almost all dates on this tour. To some extent, the wow factor has been taken out of a U2 performance because we have seen most of it before, in many cases, more than once (lets not forget, the 360 tour is now in its third year!). The media and the casual/non-fans- who haven't been watching every step of the tour on YouTube- seem to have been impressed by the show the band put on. So I think us die hards have to re-evaluate our expectations before we come on here and proclaim our feelings of dissappointment and deflation.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 06:29:40 PM by philip861 »

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2011, 06:29:33 PM »
Wow. Here I worried I was starting to be viewed as the negative nancy of the forum. I'm glad TD is around to make me look pleasant. :P

I was bored by the setlist and annoyed at the lack of surprises after U2.com and the band members themselves played up the "what will we play???" angle, but there's no arguing with the success of the gig. The audience responded well and almost every song they played is now on the iTunes sales charts, including startlingly high chart placements for Stay and Moment Of Surrender.

I think ultimately the gig was a success, albeit a somewhat boring one to watch for those of us already more than intimately familiar with the songs on the setlist.

• Holy Joe
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2011, 06:47:11 PM »
Droo, where are you finding those figures- I can only find the top 100s, which don't have Stay or Moment! (Although U2 does have 4 out of the top 10 places in 'Top Rock Songs!' )

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2011, 06:48:41 PM »
The official spoiler thread. Someone went onto the UK iTunes chart and looked up the top Rock Songs and posted their positions. I'm merely repeating what he said.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2011, 06:55:17 PM »
u2 doesn't have the musical chops to do what some people expect them to do.

That's obvious to anyone with an ear for music and/or who has followed the band for any length of time.

As for the "poor people" who had to suffer "Glastonbury rehearsals", why was the first such rehearsal widely praised by U2 fans everywhere.

For example, compare "std" set with the "poor rehearsal" reviews

Std set

"poor fans suffering a rehearsal" set