Author Topic: Why was Glastonbury so hyped by the band?  (Read 3270 times)

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
Why was Glastonbury so hyped by the band?
« on: June 27, 2011, 09:21:33 AM »
I really don't understand why this show was so hyped and deemed so important by U2. It's not like they are a group of 20 yr old kids who need to prove themselves. They did that with Live Aid. I follow Springsteen pretty close as well and when he played Glastonbury a few years ago it seemed like it was just another night of the tour. Maybe it's because i'm in North America and Glastonbury isn't really even on our radar.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
Re: Why was Glastonbury so hyped by the band?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:57:16 AM »
Glastonbury is huge here in the UK - correct if I'm wrong - the biggest music festival in the UK. A lot of the big bands/ musicians come to Glastonbury every year; the likes of The Who, Radiohead, Neil Young, David Bowie, R.E.M., Coldplay, Muse have headlined in recent years so naturally, U2 would hype up their performance - especially when there are more than 170,000+ people in attendance.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 10:02:08 AM »
I understand it's a huge festival, but they've played to just as big or bigger crowds. It seems the band found this show to be more important to them then what other artists do. They rented out a theater just to rehearse for the show, even though they've been on tour and playing live for the last few years.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 10:21:55 AM »
Well to be fair it was their first festival appearance since the 80s and as far as the rehearsals, my guess is that they were toying with a set-list that work with a festival crowd considering U2 can't just bat out songs out on a whim compared to Springsteen.

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 10:25:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I understand it's a huge festival, but they've played to just as big or bigger crowds. It seems the band found this show to be more important to them then what other artists do. They rented out a theater just to rehearse for the show, even though they've been on tour and playing live for the last few years.

The reason why is because they were playing to a crowd who wasn't on their side to start with. A lot of people don't like U2 in the UK, so it was a big deal for them to pull off the show of a lifetime. And they did just that.

Bono and Edge had the crowd in their hands during "One" and "Stay", as well as changing a lot of people's perceptions of them. It was important for U2 to show what they are made of to an "un-friendly" crowd.

I suppose the lack of a stage actually helped U2 win over the majority of the crowd. At the end of the day, their headlining slot was all about the music and the vocals. If there was a larger staging area, then Bono would have got lost in the music as he always does, and he might have lost the special connection that he had gained with the crowd.

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 10:28:43 AM »

The reason why is because they were playing to a crowd who wasn't on their side to start with. A lot of people don't like U2 in the UK, so it was a big deal for them to pull off the show of a lifetime. And they did just that.

Bono and Edge had the crowd in their hands during "One" and "Stay", as well as changing a lot of people's perceptions of them. It was important for U2 to show what they are made of to an "un-friendly" crowd.

I suppose the lack of a stage actually helped U2 win over the majority of the crowd. At the end of the day, their headlining slot was all about the music and the vocals. If there was a larger staging area, then Bono would have got lost in the music as he always does, and he might have lost the special connection that he had gained with the crowd.

Oh yes, forgot to mention that; the tax protesters, the onslaught of Bono insults on Twitter - they had a lot riding on their performance and they managed to win in the end.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 10:47:45 AM »
I'm glad to hear that they had a great performance.  The weather must have been awful.  All the rain and mud.  I'm happy for the Glasto concert goers that they enjoyed U2.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 03:03:12 PM »
1) To prove to the world that they still have it
2) To prove to *themselves* that they can still do without the fancy technology
3) First festival date in decades
4) Giant media expectation that they would fail
5) - And this a crucial one- probably the largest TV audience for a full U2 concert ever. (Only contest might be the Rose Bowl)

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 05:00:09 PM »
U2 just wanted to hype it up like they always do.

They created some media buzz by stating they could not agree on a setlist and were fighting over it, when in fact they already rehearsed that set in Anaheim 2.

They make bold declarations about how different the dynamic is when they are not playing in a 360 stage.  Truth is, they can hardly hear the crowd, they just follow their inner-ear monitors (anyone who has downloaded a bootleg can understand that), and they were are programmed to the same settings, same guitars, same tempos, same arrangements, as their 360 Tour versions.

It was basically a 360 Tour setlist with The Fly and Bad added, and the surprise Out Of Control.

It was nothing special, nothing different, and whose actual performance did not justify or merit all the hype the band gave to it.

Edge seemed to enjoy himself more playing Streets with Muse last year than this year.

Why the band hypes it is just to build on their legacy, create buzz, and keep them always in the news.  Any publicity is good publicity.

Cheers,

J

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 05:46:12 PM »
Finally; a jick post that EVERYONE can disagree with!  ;D

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 05:50:13 PM »
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOT ANOTHER GLASTONBURY THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:11:38 PM by StrongGirl »

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 06:14:54 PM »
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOT ANOTHER  GLASTONBURY THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 03:11:51 PM by StrongGirl »

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 06:24:26 PM »
Well to be fair it was their first festival appearance since the 80s and as far as the rehearsals, my guess is that they were toying with a set-list that work with a festival crowd considering U2 can't just bat out songs out on a whim compared to Springsteen.

Live 8
Jubilee 2000
??

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 07:03:10 PM »

Live 8
Jubilee 2000
??

AT which they played a couple of songs.

Call it first festival 'set'

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 07:17:01 PM »

Live 8
Jubilee 2000
??

AT which they played a couple of songs.

Call it first festival 'set'

Okay then