Author Topic: Why was Glastonbury so hyped by the band?  (Read 3271 times)

Offline Job

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: Why was Glastonbury so hyped by the band?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 08:43:59 PM »
show of a lifetime? Nah.

Solid set, solid performance. But people are not going to be talking about this gig years from now.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 10:37:18 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
show of a lifetime? Nah.

Solid set, solid performance. But people are not going to be talking about this gig years from now.

I would have to agree with this. I really don't think the performance was any better or worse then the current 360 shows. This was no career defining performance like Live Aid.

Offline MB24

• Babyface
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 02:28:40 PM »
show of a lifetime? Nah.

I would have to agree with this. I really don't think the performance was any better or worse then the current 360 shows. This was no career defining performance like Live Aid.

Which is a real shame. I was there - was a bit shocked at how poor their showing was. They used to own moments like this. Trumped by Coldplay and Beyonce! Who would have thought! And now, they didn't create the 'years from now' talking point, as Blur, Radiohead, Paul McCartney and others have done. Missed opportunity from U2. Shame.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 02:44:07 PM »
show of a lifetime? Nah.

Yeah, it was just another 360 show (albeit 4 songs short) as far as I'm concerned, and according to some on this forum, one of the very best 360 shows.

Some people on this forum hyped the 'career defining' angle, but it was never going to be so.

Live Aid and Red Rocks were 'career defining' performances.

satellitedog01

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 02:52:36 PM »
Another problem is, since a lot of the U2 hate was none music based, the haters will keep on hating like before. Convenient.

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 02:53:03 PM »
Was never going to be career defining...

How the hell could it be for ta band of their legacy?

Great show, great set, no one can say it was honestly poor, gave the audience what they wanted and reminded everyone that u2 are still a great band

Not career defining....Haha who ever said that, dont know what they are talking about...

Even red rocks isnt.....Live aid and ANY Zoo tv gig are the career defining performances

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 02:59:38 PM »

Edge seemed to enjoy himself more playing Streets with Muse last year than this year.

I sensed that, too.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 03:03:09 PM »

Even red rocks isnt.....Live aid and ANY Zoo tv gig are the career defining performances

Well it is.

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 03:09:20 PM »

Well it is.

Cant see it myself....Playing to a half capacity in the pouring rain.....Great gig, just dont see it as one that defined their career

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 03:10:40 PM »

Well it is.

Cant see it myself....Playing to a half capacity in the pouring rain.....Great gig, just dont see it as one that defined their career

Well, I guess it all depends on how you define defined.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOT ANOTHER GLASTONBURY THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No masking  ;)  See Mod Joe's thread in Site Announcements  :D

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 03:15:30 PM »

Well it is.

Live Aid: Bono seriously screwing up Bad and them not been able to play Pride but Bono's emotion shining through all of that and his actions been one of the highlights of the biggest concert in history...When they were still not a stadium filling band

Zoo tv: A band lost after rattle and hum...To not only come back with one of the best albums ever, but to come back with a tour that would change the way every band toured and gigged from then on....That is career defining and It shows because even U2 cant topple what they created in that era

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »

Well it is.

Live Aid: Bono seriously screwing up Bad and them not been able to play Pride but Bono's emotion shining through all of that and his actions been one of the highlights of the biggest concert in history...When they were still not a stadium filling band

Zoo tv: A band lost after rattle and hum...To not only come back with one of the best albums ever, but to come back with a tour that would change the way every band toured and gigged from then on....That is career defining and It shows because even U2 cant topple what they created in that era

ZOO TV wasn't just a one off show.

The Red Rocks performance defines the early period U2 as a live act.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 03:20:42 PM »
I just think this was a big deal to them. It was important. This festival may not be so big in the US but it is in Europe. For filmmakers, it could be Cannes or Sundance Film Festival. It has a certain amount of prestige to it.

satellitedog01

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 03:22:06 PM »
If for nothing else Red Rocks was defining for being their first widely and constantly broadcast live performance, songs from it were on heavy rotation in the early days of MTV. That is a very important aspect I'd say. Even in '94 Sunday Bloody Sunday from Red Rocks was a regular in TopTen at 10 for example, and that was more than ten years after the performance. That is career defining to me.