Author Topic: Why was Glastonbury so hyped by the band?  (Read 3273 times)

Offline Kit

• Wanderer
Re: Why was Glastonbury so hyped by the band?
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 03:33:41 PM »
Unfortunately U2 are ridiculously (for various reasons) hated by a lot of people here in the UK and although I am pleased with their performance at Glastonbury, I kinda wish they hadn't done it................the Glastonbury crowd didn't deserve it, and U2 should never feel that they have anything to prove to that lot.

Glastonbury is supposed to be a festival of the arts, where you get a varied array of differing talents of all levels and genre, but it is now nothing more than a popularity contest where musical snobs, like a lot of the press, can find creative ways to take pot-shots and have cheap jibes at bands like U2....and I quote, (sorry cant remeber which joke news item I was reading at the time) 'Bono's decision to go with double leather was a disaster'.........what has that got to do with anything? ???

As U2 fans we appreciate what they do and love watching and listening to them, they have NOTHING to prove to us, they won us over a long, long time a ago. Some of the bull-sh** and stupid comments, anti-U2, coming from some people here in the UK is pathetic.

In Britain we always seem to love the underdog..........unfortunately U2 are the biggest and the best band in the world, and the British audience (U2 fans excluded) dont like it.

Shamed to say.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Unfortunately U2 are ridiculously (for various reasons) hated by a lot of people here in the UK and although I am pleased with their performance at Glastonbury, I kinda wish they hadn't done it................the Glastonbury crowd didn't deserve it, and U2 should never feel that they have anything to prove to that lot.

Glastonbury is supposed to be a festival of the arts, where you get a varied array of differing talents of all levels and genre, but it is now nothing more than a popularity contest where musical snobs, like a lot of the press, can find creative ways to take pot-shots and have cheap jibes at bands like U2....and I quote, (sorry cant remeber which joke news item I was reading at the time) 'Bono's decision to go with double leather was a disaster'.........what has that got to do with anything? ???

As U2 fans we appreciate what they do and love watching and listening to them, they have NOTHING to prove to us, they won us over a long, long time a ago. Some of the bull-sh** and stupid comments, anti-U2, coming from some people here in the UK is pathetic.

In Britain we always seem to love the underdog..........unfortunately U2 are the biggest and the best band in the world, and the British audience (U2 fans excluded) dont like it.

Shamed to say.
i have started to notice the same thing in the british media in the last few years too.. for instance sky news will allways send a camera down to wembley if the stones or take that are touring there the same at glastonbury by contrast when u2 started off their multiple concerts in wembley there was no mention of it and the only thing they could talk about in glastonbury this year was the tax protest

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 06:32:25 PM »
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NOT ANOTHER GLASTONBURY THREAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No masking  ;)  See Mod Joe's thread in Site Announcements  :D

Sorry. I'm alone in this world and a masked up world it is too.

If we're talking forum rules...

Do not cross-post your message to multiple Topics. Find what you think is the most appropriate place to post, and post your message once. If we feel a message has been posted in the wrong place, we may move it.

;)

Apologies for saying flower.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 06:41:02 PM »
Do not cross-post your message to multiple Topics. Find what you think is the most appropriate place to post, and post your message once. If we feel a message has been posted in the wrong place, we may move it.

Take a hint, setlist whiners!!

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2011, 06:41:41 PM »
The more I think about Glastonbury the more I think it's a shame that they didn't perform there ten years ago. Hard to believe now but U2 were really liked alot for a short while back in the early 00's, as in the media seemed to give them a break, you also had lots of new bands like Coldplay, the Killers, Keane and even Muse coming out and proclaiming U2 as a big influence. Even Ian Brown admitted he had a grudging respect for them! Then would have been the perfect time to do Glastonbury. But things have changed alot since then...

I think that Glastonbury was actually a really big deal to the band. You could even see it in their interview afterwards that they were kind of deflated that it didn't go quite to plan. The build up didn't help, they would have been facing a hostile crowd to begin with. The weather was crap and Bono's voice was flatter than the crowd. There was no U2 'moment' that lifted the gig from the ordinary to the spectacular, as we were used to at one point. In fact this is the very thing that has defined U2 over the last few years, the lack of spark or 'edge' (pardon the pun) to their performances. I remember having a conversation with a friend of mine about a Red Hot Chili Peppers concert in Dublin a few years ago, I remarked that I thought they put on a good show and he replied in a kind of bored way, 'yeah...they always do'. Unfortunately that is what U2 have become. They have dropped down a division in terms of live performance. They are still a very good band, great musicians who put on a good show...but that's it. The spark has gone.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:43:38 PM by david »

Offline Drummer Boy

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Not walking away... gonna find a better line.
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2011, 07:03:47 PM »

David, I think it's like that for fans who follow them permanently (like some of us in here do).
I mean people who follow setlists, download lots of shows, compares, and things like that.

All that stuff sort of takes the "magic" out, I believe...
Maybe for a new fan, or a casual listener, there was a LOT of magic
in U2's performance at Glastonbury.

Regarding earlier posts, I agree that there's no possible "career defining" show
at this point, except maybe in a few years play a free show, bigger than the Stones' at Copacabana,
and thus break yet another record....

But the defining thing for me, is that they played at the WORST POSSIBLE GLASTONBURY,
(I mean: worst press, worst weather, worst disposition from the entire UK, tax protesters at the show),
and also in the WORST POSSIBLE SITUATION (being in the middle of a huge, two year long tour, struggling
to finish Spider-Man, Bono not being able to move around, Edge having to "top" last year's appearance with Muse,
all of them having jet-lag, their own fans whining half the time about new albums, setlists, collaborators, etc)

...and despite all that, THEY WON BY MILES!

That's my band!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 09:07:52 PM by Drummer Boy »

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2011, 01:53:19 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011, 05:22:50 AM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You stole my desktop background.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2011, 05:57:36 AM »

You stole my desktop background.

Wrong. Your desktop background stole the mural on my bedroom ceiling.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2011, 01:25:30 PM »
The more I think about Glastonbury the more I think it's a shame that they didn't perform there ten years ago. Hard to believe now but U2 were really liked alot for a short while back in the early 00's, as in the media seemed to give them a break, you also had lots of new bands like Coldplay, the Killers, Keane and even Muse coming out and proclaiming U2 as a big influence. Even Ian Brown admitted he had a grudging respect for them! Then would have been the perfect time to do Glastonbury. But things have changed alot since then...

These things tend to go in cycles. I know at this stage, it's very hand to be relevant and change perceptions but I'm hoping U2 / UK relations turn a corner in the next few years. What I am finding is that younger bands generally don't see U2 as an enemy. A lot of people in music look up to them, even if they don't say it. It's the media and various commentators that are tough on them which in turn feeds the wider mob. And about Ian Brown... seriously? Did he ever say anything good about them? You've got to find a quote if that's true.

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2011, 08:25:38 PM »

These things tend to go in cycles. I know at this stage, it's very hand to be relevant and change perceptions but I'm hoping U2 / UK relations turn a corner in the next few years. What I am finding is that younger bands generally don't see U2 as an enemy. A lot of people in music look up to them, even if they don't say it. It's the media and various commentators that are tough on them which in turn feeds the wider mob. And about Ian Brown... seriously? Did he ever say anything good about them? You've got to find a quote if that's true.

[/quote]

Yeah amazingly enough he did, suprised me too because I'm a big Stone Roses fan and know how much they hated U2. It was in a Q Magazine interview from around 2004. The interview asked Brown if he still wanted to 'finish' U2 and Brown just said that he admired their ability to stick together for so long, showing a commitment to each other and their music that the Stone Roses never had.

Offline Gavin Tuesday

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2011, 09:49:22 AM »
I really don't understand why this show was so hyped and deemed so important by U2

Because this band hypes everything. If Bono can call Atomic Bomb their best album ever in about a thousand interviews, you know they'll pretty much shill for anything they've got their name associated with.  This is not a criticism.  Bono's just a preacher stealing hearts at a traveling show, for love of...well, you know.

They'd hype The Hype if they were still called The Hype.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 12:14:08 PM by Gavin Tuesday »

Offline Mayflag

• Babyface
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2011, 08:37:17 PM »
On Twitter, John Taylor stated he empathized w/ U2. Since I have not seen the Glastonbury show, I was kind of confuseds as to what he meant by that but after reading all the posts, I can make a pretty good guess. It saddens me to read that U2 are not well liked in the UK; my question is, is U2 not well liked because of moving their tax base or is the Irish v. British conflict still going on? Why all the hate from the press? (Oops, more than one question).

satellitedog01

« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2011, 05:28:42 AM »
They were disliked well before the tax issues. I guess it's just that those who hate something are more passionate about it, and shout louder and more readily.

Also some high profile UK bands (who didn't get as succesful, like Echo and the Bunnymen for example) stated how they though U2 was this and that and that helped spread the negativity.

Offline morph

• Refugee
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2011, 06:08:20 AM »
Re: U2 have played bigger shows.

Possibly true, but Glastonbury was watched by over 18.6 million people on TV, according to figures from the BBC. It emerged as the most watched festival in history this year... so to call it small cookies might be mis-stepping the mark :)