Author Topic: Why was Glastonbury so hyped by the band?  (Read 3272 times)

Offline ciaz

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Why was Glastonbury so hyped by the band?
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2011, 06:57:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
On Twitter, John Taylor stated he empathized w/ U2. Since I have not seen the Glastonbury show, I was kind of confuseds as to what he meant by that but after reading all the posts, I can make a pretty good guess. It saddens me to read that U2 are not well liked in the UK; my question is, is U2 not well liked because of moving their tax base or is the Irish v. British conflict still going on? Why all the hate from the press? (Oops, more than one question).

It's nothing to do with the Irish thing, in my experience. Though I suppose my sample is a bit biased, as the city I am from has a ridiculously huge Irish population (including myself). Even so, the Irish thing is never an issue. The tax thing definitely is though, especially with people I know. They would probably hate U2/Bono anyway, just because he seems to annoy people, and the only difference is that now people have the tax issue as ammunition to back up their point, whereas before when quizzed on why they hate Bono or U2 they couldn't really find a reason.

It's the hypocrisy of Bono/U2 appearing charitable but then avoiding taxes that grinds people the most at the moment.