Author Topic: Will u2 release another DVD?  (Read 2860 times)

Offline joshtree14

• Wanderer
Will u2 release another DVD?
« on: June 27, 2011, 10:11:21 AM »
Do you think another DVD will come along. The last 2 tours have seen multiple DVD releases. I sure hope so and I hope the Glastonbury performance will also be on DVD

Offline Gavin Tuesday

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Will u2 release another DVD?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 10:13:02 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Do you think another DVD will come along. The last 2 tours have seen multiple DVD releases. I sure hope so and I hope the Glastonbury performance will also be on DVD

It will be on the DVD w/the deluxe remasters of AB/Zooropa.  At least the first five songs from the set plus "Stay". Count on it.

Offline Starguitar

• Desert Rose
  • Thanks U2 & the 360 tour for the best night ever.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 10:18:23 AM »
I would like one for the 2nd North American leg, past the later half of the tour. They had quite radically changed some aspects of the show from what I've seen in early 360 pictures and Rose Bowl to the concert I saw recently in Seattle.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 05:36:47 PM »
I would like one for the 2nd North American leg, past the later half of the tour. They had quite radically changed some aspects of the show from what I've seen in early 360 pictures and Rose Bowl to the concert I saw recently in Seattle.

So would I.  Any tour city USA. 

At the M&T venue there where signs outside stating the concert was being video taped by U2.  By going in you gave your permission for U2 to use it in anyway they want.  Is this done for every show?  I asked on a another thread but no answer as of yet.  This was my first U2 concert, so I don't know if this is standard procedure.  Thanks in advance!

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 05:43:59 PM »

At the M&T venue there where signs outside stating the concert was being video taped by U2.  By going in you gave your permission for U2 to use it in anyway they want.  Is this done for every show?  I asked on a another thread but no answer as of yet.  This was my first U2 concert, so I don't know if this is standard procedure.  Thanks in advance!

Every show is videoed by the little cameras that show the band on the screen. Plus there's the FanCam thing.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 05:52:56 PM »

Really, why bother?

Glastonbury is downloadable in glorious High Def already, barely a day after the gig. 9.85GB. It's incredible.

Perhaps remaster the audio and maybe fix up some screwups (that's really what the DVDs are for) and charge $25 for it? No need.

It's a time when new media is the big idea. If you're sitting around waiting for a DVD in a shiny case, well, you're sitting around waiting.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 06:08:42 PM »
I think one DVD a tour is enough. U2 products are now taking up lots of space. And I still haven't caught up with all the album reissues. And we've got new ones on the horizon... I'm just glad I'm not a Kiss fan.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 06:14:02 PM »

Every show is videoed by the little cameras that show the band on the screen. Plus there's the FanCam thing.

Thanks Starman!  I think it is fantastic that U2 tapes their shows. 

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 06:15:35 PM »

Thanks Starman!  I think it is fantastic that U2 tapes their shows. 

Oh it would be even more fantastic if they decided to use the footage...

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 08:15:34 PM »

It will be on the DVD w/the deluxe remasters of AB/Zooropa.  At least the first five songs from the set plus "Stay". Count on it.

Maybe you know something that I don't know, but I really wouldn't see the point in this.  Do the performances of those songs add something to what we already have on the ZooTV DVD?  If there's one thing I could do without on these deluxe remaster sets, it's the current band involving themselves and adding content, unless it's a retrospective documentary or something.  I don't want to hear Bono's aged voice singing over tracks they created 20 years ago, and how they currently perform those songs doesn't enlighten me on the songs or the album they're from.  Everything they do now is so well documented--I'd be far more interested in having them unveil songs and performances from the time of the album.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 09:04:01 PM »
The show and the set has completely changed since the Rose Bowl.  U2 really should have released another DVD, either from Europe or South Africa

Offline Gavin Tuesday

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 12:17:51 PM »

It will be on the DVD w/the deluxe remasters of AB/Zooropa.  At least the first five songs from the set plus "Stay". Count on it.

Maybe you know something that I don't know, but I really wouldn't see the point in this.  Do the performances of those songs add something to what we already have on the ZooTV DVD?  If there's one thing I could do without on these deluxe remaster sets, it's the current band involving themselves and adding content, unless it's a retrospective documentary or something.  I don't want to hear Bono's aged voice singing over tracks they created 20 years ago, and how they currently perform those songs doesn't enlighten me on the songs or the album they're from.  Everything they do now is so well documented--I'd be far more interested in having them unveil songs and performances from the time of the album.

Well I don't have any insider info...I just know the band knocked out 5 Achtung songs in a row when the show started (plus one later from Zooropa, which is also getting a remaster), and Bono actually hyped AB during the show (specifically talked about the album being 20 years old).  As much as I love this band, I recognize that most everything they do has a calculated, commercial component to it ("The Unforgettable Fire" was part of the 360 set list, just before the remaster of that album came out...notice how it's since been dropped).  I don't believe it's in U2's nature to just play five songs in a row from a 20 year old album for sentimentality (this isn't Rush we're talking about), and then hype up the fact that the songs are 20 years old during the performance.  Add to the music the reappearance of the random bits of pseudo philosophy on the screens ("Watch More TV", etc), and it feels like a very intentional move on their part.  This band, and McGuinness, are too mindful of the commercial tie in value to something like this...and I just don't see this performance being a stand alone DVD.  

Don't get me wrong...I agree with you that it would be a waste to include something go easily getable on the release when there are so much more rare, valuable things out there.  But I don't believe the band considers being able to torrent an HD version of the show to be a "release" of that material.  And remember, this is the organization that gave us "Duals", and the lame video "rarities" on TUF remaster ..I'm pretty sure the Live Aid material was available, um, everywhere...not to mention  the total absence of video material for Boy/Oct/War, when we all know there's lots of good stuff out there.  Glastonbury (as kick ass as that performance is) is just the type of lame, throwaway thing (that costs them nothing to produce) that they can slap on there, call it a "rarity" and save the good stuff for later release in a different format.

Just my gut feeling.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:25:36 PM by Gavin Tuesday »

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 02:51:10 PM »
Don't mean to go off topic, but Gavin Tuesday,  I LOVE your username  ;)    :D A Mr. Friday fan?  A Prunes fan?   ;D  Just wondering.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 03:09:50 PM »

It will be on the DVD w/the deluxe remasters of AB/Zooropa.  At least the first five songs from the set plus "Stay". Count on it.

Maybe you know something that I don't know, but I really wouldn't see the point in this.  Do the performances of those songs add something to what we already have on the ZooTV DVD?  If there's one thing I could do without on these deluxe remaster sets, it's the current band involving themselves and adding content, unless it's a retrospective documentary or something.  I don't want to hear Bono's aged voice singing over tracks they created 20 years ago, and how they currently perform those songs doesn't enlighten me on the songs or the album they're from.  Everything they do now is so well documented--I'd be far more interested in having them unveil songs and performances from the time of the album.

Well I don't have any insider info...I just know the band knocked out 5 Achtung songs in a row when the show started (plus one later from Zooropa, which is also getting a remaster), and Bono actually hyped AB during the show (specifically talked about the album being 20 years old).  As much as I love this band, I recognize that most everything they do has a calculated, commercial component to it ("The Unforgettable Fire" was part of the 360 set list, just before the remaster of that album came out...notice how it's since been dropped).  I don't believe it's in U2's nature to just play five songs in a row from a 20 year old album for sentimentality (this isn't Rush we're talking about), and then hype up the fact that the songs are 20 years old during the performance.  Add to the music the reappearance of the random bits of pseudo philosophy on the screens ("Watch More TV", etc), and it feels like a very intentional move on their part.  This band, and McGuinness, are too mindful of the commercial tie in value to something like this...and I just don't see this performance being a stand alone DVD.  

Don't get me wrong...I agree with you that it would be a waste to include something go easily getable on the release when there are so much more rare, valuable things out there.  But I don't believe the band considers being able to torrent an HD version of the show to be a "release" of that material.  And remember, this is the organization that gave us "Duals", and the lame video "rarities" on TUF remaster ..I'm pretty sure the Live Aid material was available, um, everywhere...not to mention  the total absence of video material for Boy/Oct/War, when we all know there's lots of good stuff out there.  Glastonbury (as kick ass as that performance is) is just the type of lame, throwaway thing (that costs them nothing to produce) that they can slap on there, call it a "rarity" and save the good stuff for later release in a different format.

Just my gut feeling.

But I don't see what commercial value there would be in hyping Achtung Baby at Glastonbury. Casual listeners who liked U2's set aren't going to be interested in the repackaged album. They might seek out the currently available CD for a few quid or download a few tracks. It could be more the artistic value Bono is going for as he wants people to discover the other side to U2 that casual listeners don't see.  

I can't see any of the Glastonbury set seeing the light of day. I've never seen anything recorded by the BBC used by the band for official releases. And U2 can get a better sound mix in the studio or at one of their own gigs.

satellitedog01

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 03:25:36 PM »
Wasn't it mentioned that they played live versions of AB songs in that theater they used for rehearsals?