Author Topic: A Bad Glastonbury Review For U2........  (Read 24240 times)

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
A Bad Glastonbury Review For U2........
« on: June 28, 2011, 08:26:44 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

In this brief review the writer talks about how Bono's voice sounded "strained" and "off-key". Apparantley Bono has lost the magic with his singing ability and Coldplay were far better headliners on saturday.

Overall, this review of Glastonbury's headliners makes it seem that this year's festival was not as good as previously thought.

Personally, I believe that this reviewer hasn't got a clue about what he's talking about, and he is just trying to bring bad publicity to a band that absolutely rocked the Pyramid stage on friday.

Thoughts?

Smee

Re: A Bad Glastonbury Review For U2........
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 11:55:25 AM »

"Apparantley Bono has lost the magic with his singing ability" As a diehard fan of 30 yrs, id have to agree.

"Coldplay were far better headliners on saturday." That would seem to be the general consenus, everywhere, apart from u2 rose tinted spectacle land

Offline Zooropa Baby Pop

• Child of Grace
  • You've Got A Head Full Of Traffic
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 11:57:32 AM »
Coldplay put on a better light show. That is all.

And it's The Independent. Therefore I won't even read the review, even if it was positive.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 12:04:20 PM »

"Apparantley Bono has lost the magic with his singing ability" As a diehard fan of 30 yrs, id have to agree.

"Coldplay were far better headliners on saturday." That would seem to be the general consenus, everywhere, apart from u2 rose tinted spectacle land

I was thinking how to word my reply to this thread. Smee has done it for me.

satellitedog01

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 12:10:28 PM »
I didn't know you could put on a light-show like Coldplay's... It was excellent and U2 had 2 more than a year to create one.

And I think Beyonce's performance was the most fun of all the headliners, judging by videos.

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 12:13:01 PM »

Coldplay had a more receptive crowd, so of course their slot was going to go down well. Coldplay are more liked in the UK than U2, and I don't think the weather helped U2's chances of winning over everybody either.

Bono hasn't lost anything. He has still got that spark in his voice from the 80's. Sure, he is unable to hit the high and sustained notes, but his performance of With Or Without You was the best it's been since the 90's.

U2 were far superior musically to Coldplay at Glastonbury. Coldplay wowed the crowd with flashing lights and confetti, U2 wowed the crowd with fantastic musical talent. Coldplay were very good, but U2 were very great.

Offline Mercurial

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 12:25:37 PM »
I like both bands, but U2 are getting older and I still think they did awesome.

Consider the fact that Coldplay are in their early 30's, well liked in the UK and U2 are 50 have many detractors. Have you heard Paul McCartney or the Mick Jagger sing lately? It's not pretty.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 01:21:31 PM »
I like both bands, but U2 are getting older and I still think they did awesome.

Consider the fact that Coldplay are in their early 30's, well liked in the UK and U2 are 50 have many detractors. Have you heard Paul McCartney or the Mick Jagger sing lately? It's not pretty.

Jagger has lost a bit of his voice (which singer in their 60's hasn't?), but he's still a great performer. By far the best performance at the Grammys this year. 

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 01:34:21 PM »
I'm not a Coldplay fan, but being objective - they are in their prime now and put on a hell of a show. And as I said on another thread, Coldplay are proud and confident of their new material. Whereas U2 clearly are not. And the lukewarm reception to Boots and MOS suggests the crowd weren't that impressed either. And with longer and longer gaps between album releases, the question is are U2 still relevant in 2011?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 01:45:32 PM »
And I think Beyonce's performance was the most fun of all the headliners, judging by videos.

I agree.

She also had the most to prove of the headliners, and she did, good style.

She also personalized her show which made it all the more emotional.

Offline bw

• Refugee
  • Dreamed that I saw Dali with a supermarket trolley
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
Bono sounding a bit off makes some sense since the band have been pounding away doing live shows for quite some time. They finished up a late show in Baltimore and had to jet over the pond pretty quickly. Coldplay, on the other hand, and particularly Martin, would have the better chance to seem fresher.

Coldplay was in their backyard; thus, I am not surprised that they may have gotten a better reception and spirit from the crowd. Personally, and I do like them, I thought Coldplay's new material was unmoving. But hard to judge since it typically takes me many listens before I "get" a band's new work...

I thought U2 did fine. I didn't particularly love the set, I think "40" would have been triumphant, but I was glad they played "Bad", even though Bono annoyingly changed the lyric for whatever inexplicable reason. That song is too great to truncate or change the lyrics...

satellitedog01

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 02:35:15 PM »
I wonder if this is the appropriate thread to post this in, but I've heard some stupid comments regarding B's voice so I want to get it out of my head:

There is nothing wrong with Bono's voice people, he sings better than on Vertigo, better than on Elevation. The problem with his singing some of us including me perceive is performance based. He can sing high notes just fine, he can hold notes and his intonation has improved as well.

What is lacking is the raw drive and growls, but he has to be careful not to strain his voice. What was so great about his singing was also causing him to lose his voice from the end of the '80s through to Popmart, so he adapted his technique, learnt how to properly maintain his ability to carry a show and this resulted in this more tip-toeing, somewhat restrained style we've been witnessing on 360, mostly with some older tunes, like TUF, Vertigo, WOWY and the high note in Miss Sarajevo (he now sings the big one with his normal voice instead of the deeply resonant operatic one used on Vertigo) that makes a whole lot of difference to their shows. Glasto was a rare occasion where he let go a bit and that's why some think it's the best show they've ever played.

Vocal-wise I think it was better to an extent too.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 03:27:53 PM »
I'm not a Coldplay fan, but being objective - they are in their prime now and put on a hell of a show. And as I said on another thread, Coldplay are proud and confident of their new material. Whereas U2 clearly are not. And the lukewarm reception to Boots and MOS suggests the crowd weren't that impressed either. And with longer and longer gaps between album releases, the question is are U2 still relevant in 2011?

But Coldplay in their prime is still not as good as U2 in their depends IMHO.

And no, art is subjective. You can't be objective about it. You can try to be fair but biases still creep in.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 03:30:03 PM »
I wonder if this is the appropriate thread to post this in, but I've heard some stupid comments regarding B's voice so I want to get it out of my head:

There is nothing wrong with Bono's voice people, he sings better than on Vertigo, better than on Elevation. The problem with his singing some of us including me perceive is performance based. He can sing high notes just fine, he can hold notes and his intonation has improved as well.

What is lacking is the raw drive and growls, but he has to be careful not to strain his voice. What was so great about his singing was also causing him to lose his voice from the end of the '80s through to Popmart, so he adapted his technique, learnt how to properly maintain his ability to carry a show and this resulted in this more tip-toeing, somewhat restrained style we've been witnessing on 360, mostly with some older tunes, like TUF, Vertigo, WOWY and the high note in Miss Sarajevo (he now sings the big one with his normal voice instead of the deeply resonant operatic one used on Vertigo) that makes a whole lot of difference to their shows. Glasto was a rare occasion where he let go a bit and that's why some think it's the best show they've ever played.

Vocal-wise I think it was better to an extent too.

Are you talking HTDAAB and ATYCLB albums against NLOTH? If so, I agree with that with a few exceptions(Kite).

satellitedog01

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 03:34:11 PM »
I'm talking about the last leg of 360 being better vocally than many of the Elevation and Vertigo shows I've heard. Not the performances to be sure, but the clarity and quality of Bono's voice itself. Not the live sound of the show either, but the actual voice.