Author Topic: A Bad Glastonbury Review For U2........  (Read 24227 times)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: A Bad Glastonbury Review For U2........
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2011, 08:44:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Please, I hope nobody from the UK takes any offense to me asking, Why are people from the UK so hard on each other? Ever read a tabloid over there, they're brutal, worse than the ones here. They're very blunt and will just say you're sh*te. I've seen it with celebs, musicians, etc.

I was thinking the same thing.  Some review, recent and past have been brutal towards Bono.  Making fun of his height, weight, wrinkles, etc.  I live in the states and I guess because we are so multi-cultural.  Seeing men who are shorter than 5'7" is no big deal.  We all gain a little weight as we age and our skin dosen't look like it did at age twenty.  

Let's face it, he provides plenty of reasons to dislike him.

Anyone who is hugely loved will also be hugely disliked. Polarising. Better than being grey I suppose.

UK tabloids are brutal, but it's not all one way traffic. To be able to cut you down, they first have to build you up.

Hi Brisco.

I was just wondering.  What reasons does Bono give the British press to dislike him?  I'm not being sarcastic.   I honestly want to know.

Yeah pretty much what So Cruel said above.

Remember here, perception is reality.

He's a tax dodger, he's a megalomaniac, he hobnobs with the big wigs of the world, he wants you to send all your money to Africa yet he doesn't send any, he makes music for middle aged white people, he's short, he's Irish, he pontificates on too many issues, he has a large nose, he wears stupid shoes, he tries to always say something profound yet often misses the mark, he is old and uncool, he's a hypocrite, he never takes off his sunglasses, he promises albums being a few months away which never happen...

Perception is reality.

So people hate him.

Don't go debating all those points above, a lot of them are false, but that is the perception that some choose to have.

But he is short. That's not perception. that's undeniable fact.

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2011, 08:52:01 PM »
That's a good article in the Telegraph, a nice antidote to alot of the anti-U2 talk. I'm amazed at some of the comments left below though, stuff like 'leprechaun' and 'lager louts', really seems to be an anti-Irish thing as much as anti-U2. I think it must really grate with alot of British people that the biggest and best band of the last 30 years came from that little island they would rather didn't exist and not from the supposed 'home' of rock music.

He makes a point about U2's fashion sense though. What is the deal with the Edge and that stupid microphone?! Adam does dress more like a pensioner every time I see him too!

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2011, 08:59:51 PM »
Bono's terminator suit has to go, surely...

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2011, 04:05:22 AM »
Adam obviously keeps up with fashion and can look pretty good. Don't know what he was going for at Glastonbury, one critic said it looked like he'd been interrupted mowing the lawn. He's at the point where if he goes for high fashion, it can come off a little odd. Edge wears his clothes well, he has a good image I think but could change his hat once in a while. Don't mind the microphone if it gives him more freedom on the stage. Bono doesn't really care. He gets away with double leather at his gigs but must have known he wouldn't at Glastonbury. I thought he'd wear a suit jacket so a little surprised to see Robo Bono come out as usual. The current glasses are much less annoying than some of those tinted ones but the fact he never takes them off will always annoy people. Larry is Larry and looks good whatever. He keeps it simple, laid back but crucially young looking for someone his age. Sorry about the fashion rant  ::)

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2011, 05:44:28 AM »
Bono's terminator suit has to go, surely...

yip, the terminator look is hopelessly bad. i honestly thought he was gonna wip out an uzi and start shouting 'seuuwa conna'. who is the stylist behind the band? whoever it is they deserve to be shot. u2 are starting to look camper than YMCA.

satellitedog01

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2011, 06:22:07 AM »
Strange thing is Adam's all white girlie look with the glitter and sneakers going on. I'd love to see him in some more traditional, something with shoulders like a slim fit suit jacket paired with a leisurely pair of pants like on Elevation, but made from a more expensive material.

Bono's terminator look is such a waste of possibilities. His current glasses look more cheap than cool. Leather pants don't look good on anyone really, not even on skinny folks, and certainly not if you are stocky and middle age. Actually I can't think of any other occasion than a bike ride where leather would be considered GO. The hideous gray colour also makes it look like plastic (in a PVC garbage bag sorta way). I seriously find his stage look atrocious.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 06:24:47 AM by satellitedog01 »

Offline MB24

• Babyface
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2011, 11:26:41 AM »

Bono would have done himself a world of wonders if he'd lost the glasses for a few songs at Glastonbury. I know vanity has completely taken over now, but still, of all the gigs. That was one of the problems, it all came off as more of a performance than it should have. Like there was a big glass wall between stage and crowd and we were all watching the U2 Show on the other side of the glass. If you watch the UK bands (and frontmen) that really know how to 'play' Glastonbury (Coldplay, Elbow, Pulp, Radiohead etc) they are all very good at creating a strong connection with the crowd. Bono obviously got the memo on dropping the Bono-rants, but he didn't get the memo on dropping the Bono-show. Would have been a good gig for bringing back the more relaxed, warmer, humble Elevation-style Bono. Dress down, drop the glasses for a bit, stop trying to show off for the crowd, instead work with them.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2011, 11:47:15 AM »
I agree with a lot of that... except the idea that Radiohead know how to 'play' Glastonbury, or connect with any crowd. :P

Offline MB24

• Babyface
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2011, 12:05:28 PM »

Well, Radiohead's 2003 set there is legendary. And I caught them at Glastonbury this year (right before U2) - a divisive set because they only played material from their last two (divisive) albums, but he was an open, engaging frontman with that crowd. Yes, they certainly know how to 'play' and connect with Glastonbury. 

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2011, 03:00:59 PM »
Please, I hope nobody from the UK takes any offense to me asking, Why are people from the UK so hard on each other? Ever read a tabloid over there, they're brutal, worse than the ones here. They're very blunt and will just say you're sh*te. I've seen it with celebs, musicians, etc.

I was thinking the same thing.  Some review, recent and past have been brutal towards Bono.  Making fun of his height, weight, wrinkles, etc.  I live in the states and I guess because we are so multi-cultural.  Seeing men who are shorter than 5'7" is no big deal.  We all gain a little weight as we age and our skin dosen't look like it did at age twenty.  

Anyone who is hugely loved will also be hugely disliked. Polarising. Better than being grey I suppose.

UK tabloids are brutal, but it's not all one way traffic. To be able to cut you down, they first have to build you up.

Hi Brisco.

I was just wondering.  What reasons does Bono give the British press to dislike him?  I'm not being sarcastic.   I honestly want to know.

He's a tax dodger, he's a megalomaniac, he hobnobs with the big wigs of the world, he wants you to send all your money to Africa yet he doesn't send any, he makes music for middle aged white people, he's short, he's Irish, he pontificates on too many issues, he has a large nose, he wears stupid shoes, he tries to always say something profound yet often misses the mark, he is old and uncool, he's a hypocrite, he never takes off his sunglasses, he promises albums being a few months away which never happen...

Perception is reality.

So people hate him.

Don't go debating all those points above, a lot of them are false, but that is the perception that some choose to have.

And he spent 1000 for a first class seat on an airplane to have his hat flown out to him!!!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2011, 03:03:54 PM »

Hi Brisco.

Perception is reality.

So people hate him.

And he spent 1000 for a first class seat on an airplane to have his hat flown out to him!!!

Please tell me you are joking.

satellitedog01

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2011, 03:39:04 PM »
He isn't joking. Also he actually payed those 1000 to the flight attendants to take the poor old lady who the seat actually belonged to, and tie her on the wing for the duration of the flight. He's that mega-evil!!!

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2011, 05:19:34 PM »
That hat story will never go away. Seems desperate of the haters to keep wheeling that out. Nearly as tiresome as the Bono/God joke which they're all repeating like nobody's ever heard it before.

Bono would have done himself a world of wonders if he'd lost the glasses for a few songs at Glastonbury. I know vanity has completely taken over now, but still, of all the gigs. That was one of the problems, it all came off as more of a performance than it should have. Like there was a big glass wall between stage and crowd and we were all watching the U2 Show on the other side of the glass. If you watch the UK bands (and frontmen) that really know how to 'play' Glastonbury (Coldplay, Elbow, Pulp, Radiohead etc) they are all very good at creating a strong connection with the crowd. Bono obviously got the memo on dropping the Bono-rants, but he didn't get the memo on dropping the Bono-show. Would have been a good gig for bringing back the more relaxed, warmer, humble Elevation-style Bono. Dress down, drop the glasses for a bit, stop trying to show off for the crowd, instead work with them.

Bono said how nervous he was, how sick he felt and also the more nervous he is, the more in your face he is when performing. I agree it would have been nice to see warmth from him but I guess the conditions, hype and other goings on meant he was always going to come out fighting. The UK crowd is probably the most difficult for him to connect with while the Americans and most Europeans just love him for what he is allowing him to get away with nearly anything.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2011, 05:22:21 PM »
Nearly as tiresome as the Bono/God joke which they're all repeating like nobody's ever heard it before.

I don't think I've heard it.

satellitedog01

« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2011, 05:35:23 PM »
Ah you surely have.