Author Topic: Did Anyone Notice....  (Read 4525 times)

Offline AudaciousU2

• Wanderer
Did Anyone Notice....
« on: February 09, 2009, 08:01:19 AM »
Did anyone notice how cool it looked to see Bono In BACK OF LMJ to begin "Boots" at the Grammy performance?

As I mentioned in an earlier thread, Larry Mullen Jr. needs to be front and center on the upcoming tour!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

What are your thoughts after seeing the Grammy performance?

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
Re: Did Anyone Notice....
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 08:05:30 AM »
I noticed that right away! I love that idea Audacious!

Offline AudaciousU2

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 08:24:29 AM »
"Less is More" for Bono as it would allow for U2 to be more about being a band and less "what is Bono" doing/not doing on stage...

"Get On Your Boots" works on stage with LMJ front and center- it accentuates the lines sung by Bono... "Let Me In The Sound"...

How refreshing to see a concert of U2 at this point in their existence where Bono does not make it out in front of the drum kit until the first encore...

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 09:03:04 AM »

I think it was more because it just looked damn good, a bit reminiscent of the intro to Zoo TV.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 10:26:32 AM »
"Less is More" for Bono as it would allow for U2 to be more about being a band and less "what is Bono" doing/not doing on stage...

"Get On Your Boots" works on stage with LMJ front and center- it accentuates the lines sung by Bono... "Let Me In The Sound"...

How refreshing to see a concert of U2 at this point in their existence where Bono does not make it out in front of the drum kit until the first encore...

Be careful what you wish for; Tool's Maynard James Keenan does their entire show from a riser to the right of drummer Danny Carey. Tool fans have complained...a lot.

#@!

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 03:30:12 PM »
Terrible.  Worst performance from the band I've ever witnessed.  Just read the articles today........critics were shocked at how bad they were. 

Offline CiscoJP

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
Terrible.  Worst performance from the band I've ever witnessed.  Just read the articles today........critics were shocked at how bad they were. 

I hope you're being tongue-in-cheek here, Nagrom. Every review I've read thought they were great, just perhaps shouldn't have kicked off the show since they're not nominated. The sound may have been a little thin and poorly mixed, but that's not the band's fault...

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 04:05:32 PM »
I have been an advocate at being positive in these forums.  I get sick of all the negativity.  I stick up for u2 almost 100% of the time.  I just went back and watched it again.  I still think it's bad.  The sound sucks.  They can't do anything about that.  I love boots, can't get enough of it.....but, to me, it wasn't a good performance.  I have read a lot of positive reviews, but I've read others calling it bad.  "Critics" was probably generalizing too much...but the bad reviews are out there.  And not the usual let's hate u2 because everyone else does.

If you watch the performance on SNL or when the got inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame, I don't know how you could put them in the same category.  Those were great performances.  This is the first time I was.....embarrassed, almost so much so I couldn't watch.  My expectations were hhhhuuuuuuuuggggeee.  Maybe that's my problem, I expected too much.  I was disappointed.....but, that does not change the fact that I think they've produced their best album since AB.  Those clips are overwhelmingly positive.   I really think they've done something special.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 04:07:22 PM by Nagrom99 »

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 04:13:23 PM »
My first thought was, I hope that wasn't Joe O'Herlihy doing their sound last night!
Couldn't've been.

Offline AudaciousU2

• Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 04:47:05 PM »
Wait, the performance was not great but the sound set up at Staples Arena was not the fault of U2.

The problem the band faces is the evolution of "Bono" being U2 and I do not like that.  This band to grow and be strong and relevant needs to have the three other band members bring a strong presence and musicianship to live performances.  It seems that when Bono walks away from the band there is something lost...  Maybe, it was a great risk that worked at Live Aid, but Bono straying far from the band gets tiresome and I believe effects the musicianship of his mates.

I find it ironic that when Bono sings "Let Me In The Sound"- he could very well be singing about getting back into being part of a tight band not one where he is roaming figuratively and literally around the world and stage.

I know what I am wishing for and anyone who wants to make a comparison to Tool- well is a ... ;) ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 04:51:41 PM by AudaciousU2 »

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 04:54:27 PM »

I think it was more because it just looked damn good, a bit reminiscent of the intro to Zoo TV.

Bingo. As the prepare for a tour that will be stadium based, they hearkened back to their Zoo TV days with that performance. I think that should be a huge clue towards what we'll be seeing live later this year.

Offline TraKianLite/Zooropa

• Numb
  • The land was flat, the highway straight and wide.
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 05:11:49 PM »
Bono straying far from the band gets tiresome and I believe effects the musicianship of his mates.

In past gigs Bono's waded into the audience, climbed speaker stacks and rigging, and leapt off a balcony. You think Larry, after a quarter of a century of this, would get distracted from Bono walking around?

joegtheog

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 08:13:47 PM »
I noticed that right away! I love that idea Audacious!

I got goosebumps all over when I saw him standing against that big screen backdrop;  total flashback to the first time I saw ZOO TV Live in Sydney.  How could you NOT think of that when you saw the Grammy performance??? Good stuff.

Offline justinluey

• Stateless
  • "Dream Out Loud, at high volume" - Bono
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 08:42:27 PM »
The problem the band faces is the evolution of "Bono" being U2 and I do not like that.  This band to grow and be strong and relevant needs to have the three other band members bring a strong presence and musicianship to live performances.  It seems that when Bono walks away from the band there is something lost...  Maybe, it was a great risk that worked at Live Aid, but Bono straying far from the band gets tiresome and I believe effects the musicianship of his mates.

I hate to break it to you, but to the mainstream audiences Bono is U2. Edge gets some recognition from music fans and it is only the non-casual U2 fan that appreciates the entire band. This isn't a recent phenomena either, it's been this way from the beginning.

I agree with you that U2 would be lost without any single member, and that their strength as a band is what keeps them relevant. But Bono being physically separated from them on stage is a non issue. He has always done this and its part of his charm as a live performer.

Offline B

• Stateless
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 08:44:46 PM »
I swear they had half of the audio piped in. Let Me hear the Sound part, Bono wasn't even singing ..... so .... was the Edge really playing? I bet they faked it. It was bad.