Author Topic: Did Anyone Notice....  (Read 4523 times)

hurricane hugo

Re: Did Anyone Notice....
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 09:40:31 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I know what I am wishing for and anyone who wants to make a comparison to Tool- well is a ... ;) ;)

English isn't your first language, is it?

#@!

Offline AudaciousU2

• Wanderer
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009, 10:05:30 PM »
Hey Baby Hugo, Is that the best you have to contribute to this thread?  Your "Tool" reference was kind of Beavisesque ;)

Keep in mind that it is not what Bono is accustomed to doing on stage, but how the band as a whole can appear fresh and relevant after thirty years. 

To suggest that Bono focus more on singing instead of roaming the stage is not a novel idea but probably appropriate due to several factors including the fact that the man is approaching fifty and it just is not cool anymore. 

It was kind of sickening to see Bono walking around and then sitting on his ass at the Lincoln Memorial concert at the end of the song- a good twenty yards away from the rest of the band.

This idea is no different in content if I suggested that U2 would be a better band if Bono truly learned to play guitar.  Ideally, I think the older this band gets, the tighter the formation should be in their performance.  Old guys aimlessly roaming around a stage is just not cool-

Think about when Bono was (in recent tours) singing a song truly in his best voice and deep from within his heart- was he roaming around the stage? 

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009, 10:13:39 PM »
Think about when Bono was (in recent tours) singing a song truly in his best voice and deep from within his heart- was he roaming around the stage? 

He sang no song with more emotion last tour than "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own". He sang about as far from the band as possible just to Adam's side of the end of the ellipse.

Bono moved on stage for Boots to bring movement to their presentation and not look boring on television.

As someone very near the age of the band, I can tell that a good number of members here don't have a clue what being in your mid to upper 40's is about. Life didn't end at 40 folks, I promise!

joegtheog

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2009, 10:21:17 PM »
I swear they had half of the audio piped in. Let Me hear the Sound part, Bono wasn't even singing ..... so .... was the Edge really playing? I bet they faked it. It was bad.

The Edge was singing that part and playing guitar. 

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 10:37:39 PM »

He sang no song with more emotion last tour than "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own". He sang about as far from the band as possible just to Adam's side of the end of the ellipse.

Bono moved on stage for Boots to bring movement to their presentation and not look boring on television.

As someone very near the age of the band, I can tell that a good number of members here don't have a clue what being in your mid to upper 40's is about. Life didn't end at 40 folks, I promise!

As the OLDEST person on this forum ( I think) , I can second Joe's post! ;)

Offline CiscoJP

• Stateless
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009, 11:36:04 PM »
I have been an advocate at being positive in these forums.  I get sick of all the negativity.  I stick up for u2 almost 100% of the time.  I just went back and watched it again.  I still think it's bad.  The sound sucks.  They can't do anything about that.  I love boots, can't get enough of it.....but, to me, it wasn't a good performance.  I have read a lot of positive reviews, but I've read others calling it bad.  "Critics" was probably generalizing too much...but the bad reviews are out there.  And not the usual let's hate u2 because everyone else does.

If you watch the performance on SNL or when the got inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame, I don't know how you could put them in the same category.  Those were great performances.  This is the first time I was.....embarrassed, almost so much so I couldn't watch.  My expectations were hhhhuuuuuuuuggggeee.  Maybe that's my problem, I expected too much.  I was disappointed.....but, that does not change the fact that I think they've produced their best album since AB.  Those clips are overwhelmingly positive.   I really think they've done something special.

I know you have, and that's why I was surprised to read your post. I mean, true, it wasn't their best performance ever. But keeping in mind that if was the first time they've ever played the song live, and that they'd been having sound issues all day (which kept right on trucking for the broadcast, apparently), I think they did pretty well. Did you see them perform "Do You Feel Loved" a few years back? That was bad, probably their worst performance of a song on TV. It could have been a lot worse though. The performance of GOYB seemed pretty good to me. A little reserved, but I just chalk that up to it being a new song and them perhaps a bit worried about the sound. The main thought I had to myself while watching was "This is gonna kick a** once they're playing it on tour."

As for the online reviews, most of the snarky ones seemed to come from AOL Music, or Yahoo Music, or E! Online, all of which are crap when it comes to music reviews anyway. Many reviews also glossed over the fact that Whitney Houston apparently dosed up on some black tar herioin about 30 seconds before coming out on stage, so you gotta take it all with a grain of salt anyway. And I did see some bloggers who took some shots at U2. But they mainly came across as being negative and critical for the sake of sounding intelligent.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009, 11:37:50 PM »

How do you know you're the oldest ? I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours !

Offline j2736 (i'm not a boy ! )

• Desert Rose
  • watch more television
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2009, 11:43:20 PM »
thank God i'm not the oldest. ;D

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 10:11:29 AM »

How do you know you're the oldest ? I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours !

Well Junior Emblem, I have made no secret on the forum that I am Edge's and Larry's age. Check profile and birthday calendar (April ;)) I don't think I have come across anyone born before 1961 here. Perhaps there is and they have chosen not to give their birthday and age which is perfectly fine. I have never looked or felt better in my life. No one ever takes me for a day over 35 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D lol!  OK I told , now you tell  ;)!!!

jimyjazz

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 10:24:57 AM »
I watched it with my U2 hating girlfriend (though she's coming around to Unforgettable Fire) and was just as appalled as she was.  It was terrible.  I thought Bono's Zoo TV kicks and lurches was a forced, and his rocking out seemed insincere and... I just thought it was embarrassing.  Seems like they're trying too hard to rock like "the kids" do.  I was really hoping they'd age gracefully.  I always thought they'd turn into a classy experimental band, but I guess they're too full of beans for that!  I'm sure the record is going to be fantastic though.

Offline bonogrl from Boston

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I had the feeling it was out of control
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 10:34:23 AM »
To me it just looked like they are not yet comfortable with playing this song live yet.  I was watching it with my husband and he said it wasn't that great of a performance.  I agree with him but I told him to keep in mind this is the first time they have ever played it live.  I just don't think they have all the kinks worked out.  Also, they are at their best when they connect with the crowd and I'm not sure if you watched all of the Grammy's but nobody really connected with the crowd.  I was disappointed with Larry's drumming during the "Let me in the sound" part.  I expected to see him really banging it out but if you noticed he was standing up and banging on some other drums (not sure what they are called but they were separate from his regular drum set) and part of the drumming was obviously a backing track.  I'm not doing a good job of explaining it but if you can see it again you will know what I am talking about.  Anyway, I don't think this means they are past their prime and their tour will be crap.  I just think it means they haven't gotten back into their groove as a live act yet.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 10:48:38 AM »
Hey Baby Hugo, Is that the best you have to contribute to this thread?  Your "Tool" reference was kind of Beavisesque ;)

I was simply pointing out that I wasn't comparing U2 to Tool; I figured even the dimmest of readers could see that I was giving an example of a band where the singer does the whole show from the rear of the stage, and that it didn't always go over well.

Obviously, I was wrong.  ::)

#@!

Offline jjcruiser

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 01:40:47 PM »
I agree with you that U2 would be lost without any single member, and that their strength as a band is what keeps them relevant.

Really?  You think the band would be "lost" without Adam?  Or Larry?  I know they have important pieces to play, literally and figuratively.  And I know all of them share in the important creative process, too.  But I've seen and heard way too many stories about Bono or Edge simply "writing" one of their best songs and bringing it to the group only to be refined.  I'm trying to think of a better example than Two Shots of Happy, which was supposedly only Bono and Edge.  I think either one of them would be impossible to replace.  Adam or Larry -- not so much.

Agree with the rest of the post.  Bono is the face of U2.  It makes sense.  He's the lead singer.  He has 10 times the charisma of the rest of them combined.   He's probably the best "rock star" in history, or at least the best lead singer of the best rock band in history.  I think he should be out away from the rest of the band sometimes doing his thing alone.  The most enduring images (for me at least) from their concerts is when he's doing just that.  And part of what I think is exciting about the band is Bono's fairly amazing energy for the people in the world, so I like to see him not just literally "away from the band" during the performances but also "away from the band" figuratively in that he's at the Davos World Economic Summit preaching on third world debt relief.

Personally, that keeps U2 more "relevant" to me than how he's doing his ZooTV kicks onstage.

Offline hernandezhennessey

• Stateless
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2009, 01:46:10 PM »
I swear they had half of the audio piped in. Let Me hear the Sound part, Bono wasn't even singing ..... so .... was the Edge really playing? I bet they faked it. It was bad.

The Edge was singing that part and playing guitar. 

Yes. This is true. If you look at it very closely you can see Edge singing that part. Also Bono´s voice though dimmed by the poor sound, was audible in the fact that he was singing "his" part.

I loved Adam´s playing. He was very groovy. And Larry´s drumming was great.

Did Bono seem a bit funny sometimes jumping around? Yes.  However this does not mean it was a poor performance. Did Edge look tense playing the song for the first time? Of course, but come on. This is good. This means that they are commited to what they do and they still want everything to work perfectly.

Now, I dont think it was the best performance ever But it was quite good.....

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2009, 02:45:22 PM »
I watched the performance and didn’t think it was bad but didn’t think it was their best either.  I attributed a lot of the bad to CBS and their sound… I watched the end of 60 minutes before the Grammy’s and the sound on that was horrible too (all the commercials were fine though).

Anyway, I am of the idea that it was their first live performance of the song to an audience that aren’t necessarily fans of the band, (or aren’t like we would be at a U2 concert) in a setting that was fixed and a bit rigid, and a song that isn’t really catching on with the mainstream (i.e. outside the U2 fan world).  With those considerations, I thought they did just fine.

As for the critique about the band and their members.  I am one that believes that Larry and Adam are important to what we know as U2.  While I don’t doubt that Bono and Edge are the primary creative forces in the band, I don’t think we’d have the same music without them. Larry is especially important as the drummer and more so as the founder of the group.  As time goes on I see Adam gaining importance too as his bass only keep improving through time.  They both provide a means of checks and balances that would possibly give us quite a different group if they weren’t there… Just my opinion, and who knows, one could speculate that the different band could be better or not, but the unity this band has given has got to be admired considering its lead singer’s strayings from the music world.