Author Topic: Did Anyone Notice....  (Read 4524 times)

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
Re: Did Anyone Notice....
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2009, 04:43:36 PM »
ha ha ha..Good one Cisco....you're right, she looked like a complete gong show.  I'm going to watch the performance again.  Maybe I am being too harsh.  I just wanted them to have people saying..."wow"....and I don't think too many people had that reaction.....but maybe some did, who the hell am I to judge.  Bottom line - I love the band so much it's like seeing one of your children on stage at a Christmas concert, I don't know how else to describe it.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2009, 04:47:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Think about when Bono was (in recent tours) singing a song truly in his best voice and deep from within his heart- was he roaming around the stage? 

He sang no song with more emotion last tour than "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own". He sang about as far from the band as possible just to Adam's side of the end of the ellipse.

Bono moved on stage for Boots to bring movement to their presentation and not look boring on television.

As someone very near the age of the band, I can tell that a good number of members here don't have a clue what being in your mid to upper 40's is about. Life didn't end at 40 folks, I promise!

As the OLDEST person on this forum ( I think) , I can second Joe's post! ;)

How do you know you're the oldest ? I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours !

Well Junior Emblem, I have made no secret on the forum that I am Edge's and Larry's age. Check profile and birthday calendar (April ;)) I don't think I have come across anyone born before 1961 here. Perhaps there is and they have chosen not to give their birthday and age which is perfectly fine. I have never looked or felt better in my life. No one ever takes me for a day over 35 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D lol!  OK I told , now you tell  ;)!!!

Born 62, don't look a day over 62

Offline CiscoJP

• Stateless
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2009, 05:48:49 PM »
ha ha ha..Good one Cisco....you're right, she looked like a complete gong show.  I'm going to watch the performance again.  Maybe I am being too harsh.  I just wanted them to have people saying..."wow"....and I don't think too many people had that reaction.....but maybe some did, who the hell am I to judge.  Bottom line - I love the band so much it's like seeing one of your children on stage at a Christmas concert, I don't know how else to describe it.

Believe me, I don't think it was their greatest performance ever. But I also don't think it was as bad as some people are saying. And some people are so focused on the fact that Bono had eyeliner on, or big boots, that it makes me wonder about them. If that's really what's important to them, then I don't know why they are fans. Eyeliner...who cares? And I don't buy for a second that any of these people loved Mr. Macphisto the very first time he appeared. But now everyone says it's genius.

Were Coldplay and Radiohead better live at the Grammy's? Yeah. But then again, how many times have they both played their songs live before? I like that U2 still gets nervous before playing a song for the first time. It shows their humanity, and it just goes to show that even when you've been doing this for 30+ years, you can still get the jitters. Most people on these forums, as well as critics on their blogs, have probably never performed on stage for anyone, so how could they know what it's like? Especially when you're the biggest band in the world and nobody will cut you any slack for goofing up. Most "artists" today don't actually perform, they just do what the rest of us do, lip synch to an album playing in the background. So to me, a live perfomrance, real and raw, mistakes and all, will always beat out a perfect performance that's not really a performance. And honestly, Coldplay looked like they were trying way too hard. There's rocking it, and then there's going overboard to overcompensate. To me, that was more embarrassing than U2 seeming a bit reserved and uncertain.

Offline Got U2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • High People ! !
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2009, 05:53:14 PM »
.......I don't think I have come across anyone born before 1961 here.

I just tell people I was Born in the 60's

Actually 1961 is my year too !  2009 is gonna be a great, my Grandson turns 10 in April

Never do I use or even think of age ( my age ) as a hindrance, in fact, it's an asset !
Went to 11 Rock concerts in 2008 ( over 1000 show's lifetime, going for 2K )
Rarely get to bed before 3am ( up @ 7:30 everyday but sunday )
Successful career & now CEO of small corporation in southwest
Done Drugs & Alcohol in moderation since i was 25
My 29 yr old son is a Sheriff's Officer
Make life FUN !

B T W : I liked the U2 performance, Probably cause It was what I expected.

critics are full of it !! Both ways.

Just hard to fathom that Dwezel Zappa won over everyone else in his category including RUSH.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 09:18:02 PM »
Question--going off of someone referring to the eyeliner issues......................those of us that saw  AB,ZooPop live before-- do we want to see it again or have the band stretch?  I saw these and own the Zoo dvd.  I would hope that the upcomming tour would not repeat it.  I may be in the minority on this but I truly did prefer the stripped down tours of ATYCLB and HTDAAB. I would more than likely enjoy it no matter what.. but I do have to say that the feelings coming out of the last couple of tour concerts meant a lot more.

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2009, 02:11:49 AM »
Question--going off of someone referring to the eyeliner issues......................those of us that saw  AB,ZooPop live before-- do we want to see it again or have the band stretch?  I saw these and own the Zoo dvd.  I would hope that the upcomming tour would not repeat it.  I may be in the minority on this but I truly did prefer the stripped down tours of ATYCLB and HTDAAB. I would more than likely enjoy it no matter what.. but I do have to say that the feelings coming out of the last couple of tour concerts meant a lot more.
i would be very surprised if the band went back and did everything exactly the zoo tv way,i know judging by the performance that this could be a clue to the live show, but to do the exactly same thing all over again woulkd show a lack of immagination,which i don't think there is.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2009, 07:54:54 AM »
Think about when Bono was (in recent tours) singing a song truly in his best voice and deep from within his heart- was he roaming around the stage? 

He sang no song with more emotion last tour than "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own". He sang about as far from the band as possible just to Adam's side of the end of the ellipse.

Bono moved on stage for Boots to bring movement to their presentation and not look boring on television.

As someone very near the age of the band, I can tell that a good number of members here don't have a clue what being in your mid to upper 40's is about. Life didn't end at 40 folks, I promise!

As the OLDEST person on this forum ( I think) , I can second Joe's post! ;)

How do you know you're the oldest ? I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours !

Well Junior Emblem, I have made no secret on the forum that I am Edge's and Larry's age. Check profile and birthday calendar (April ;)) I don't think I have come across anyone born before 1961 here. Perhaps there is and they have chosen not to give their birthday and age which is perfectly fine. I have never looked or felt better in my life. No one ever takes me for a day over 35 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D lol!  OK I told , now you tell  ;)!!!

Born 62, don't look a day over 62

Cute one! ;D  Nice to see someone from my "era"  (and U2's!!) here.