Poll

Which concert featured the biggest "surprise"

Barcelona 1-June 30th, 2009.  Tour Debuts of Ultraviolet and The Unforgettable Fire
4 (5.6%)
Barcelona 2-July 2nd, 2009.  Live Debut of Electrical Storm, Tour Debut of Desire
1 (1.4%)
Amsterdam 2-July 21st, 2009.  Tour Debuts of Bad, Until The End of the World, and Elevation
1 (1.4%)
hicago 2-September 13th, 2009.  Live Debut of Your Blue Room and Pride is dropped
3 (4.2%)
Turin-August 6th, 2010. Live Debuts of North Star, Stingray Guitar, and Glastonbury.  Tour Debut of Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me and Miss Sarajevo
13 (18.1%)
Helsinki 2-August 21st, 2010.  Live Debut of Every Breaking Wave. Tour Debut of I Will Follow.  Pride returns. Sunday Bloody Sunday is dropped.  No Line on the Horizon is played
10 (13.9%)
Zurich 2-September 12th, 2010.  Live Debut of Mercy
5 (6.9%)
Auckland 1-November 25th, 2010.  Live Debut of Scarlet.  Tour Debut of One Tree Hill
3 (4.2%)
Sydney 2-December 14th, 2010.  Tour Debuts of All I Want Is You and Love Rescue Me
0 (0%)
Santiago-March 25th, 2011.  Beautiful Day opens and One Tree Hill is played
0 (0%)
La Plata 1-March 30th, 2011.  Tour Debut of Even Better Than The Real Thing (which opens the show)
1 (1.4%)
Sao Paulo 2-April 10th, 2011.  Tour Debuts of Zooropa and Out of Control
18 (25%)
Mexico City 1-May 11th, 2011.  The Discotheque/Please mashup in Crazy Tonight debuts
1 (1.4%)
Denver-May 21st, 2011.  All I Want Is You and Stay become "regulars"
0 (0%)
Anaheim 2-June 18th, 2011.  Tour Debut of The Fly.  Opening quintet of Achtung Baby songs.  One and Streets played 5th and 6th
6 (8.3%)
Other (specify)
2 (2.8%)
Chicago-July 5th, 2011.  One Tree Hill closes the concert
4 (5.6%)
Coimbra 2-October 3rd, 2010. Live Debut of Boy Falls From The Sky
0 (0%)
Nashville-July 2nd, 2011.  Live Concert Debut of The Wanderer.  All I Want Is You closes the show, with a blind fan on guitar
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: Biggest Setlist Surprise Of The 360 Tour-Spoiler?  (Read 3950 times)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
Biggest Setlist Surprise Of The 360 Tour-Spoiler?
« on: July 02, 2011, 01:07:03 AM »
Just an interesting poll, wonder what the rest of you think  :)

I did not include the tour debut of Spanish Eyes, the live debut of Boy Falls From The Sky, or a few others because those shows featured only one change while the rest of the set remained quite similar

I voted for the Sao Paulo 2 show, where Zooropa and Out of Control debut, with the Turin show in a VERY close second.  Hell, I might even change my vote

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
Re: Biggest Setlist Surprise Of The 360 Tour-Spoiler?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 03:21:13 AM »
Zooropa!

Whoever thought that would ever get played again... ever!

Cheers,

J

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 04:41:09 AM »
Firstly, just want to note that the Theque/Crazy mash-up made its original first appearance in Turin as well, and then vanished partway through the European leg before returning in Mexico!

This was a tough one for me, because I've been following avidly enough that I've seen the 'rumors' turn into 'soundchecks' turn into 'rehearsals' and then not been as surprised at the final show! So I've really picked the one which most shocked me on the night;

1) Helsinki 2. This time, there was warning from rehearsals, but it was warning of loads at once- rehearsals of 'Pride' (Then gone for months), 'I Will Follow' (Conspicuously absent from the whole tour), 'No Line' (Also gone for months) and 'Bad' (Gone essentially for a leg and a half). But even despite that warning, the gig was still ridiculously exciting as, contrary to what usually happens, all of them except Bad *happened*... and then we got word that North Star had been played. Which suddenly turned into, 'Hang on, it wasn't North Star.... Every Breaking Wave?' Which, obviously was the single most talked about unreleased U2 song and had never even been slightly, remotely suggested or rumored in any context. Easily the most surprising night by a mile!

2) Amsterdam 2. It may be hard for some people to remember this, but the forum *exploded* at Amsterdam 2. 'One' appeared fifth or sixth in the setlist and everyone knew radical change was in the offing- and then we got Bad, Until The End Of The World and Elevation, three AWESOME songs, all appearing with zero rumor or soundcheck!

3) Sao Paolo. *Not* actually for Zooropa, because we knew about it well in advance from soundchecks. I remember sitting with my girlfriend, having managed to get a stream up and expecting no real surprises until later. I had crossed the room to get something... and then suddenly those drumbeats sounded and I thought "Wait... this isn't I Will Follow..." before she shouted, "IT'S OUT OF CONTROL!" Once again, the total lack of any warning made that an awesome moment.

Offline Zooropa Baby Pop

• Child of Grace
  • You've Got A Head Full Of Traffic
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 07:09:18 AM »
Helsinki 2. Simple. Nobody had a clue regarding EBW.

Zooropa obviuosly would've been possibly the biggest surprise ever. But we knew in advance so no shock or surprise when it happened.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 09:52:35 AM by Zooropa Baby Pop »

Offline yellowhat

• Numb
  • Between the horses..........literally.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 08:55:51 AM »
Helsinki 2 for me too.I actually knew all day that there's gonna be a brand new song(Dallas told) 8)
On the second place for me is zooropa.

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 09:07:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Firstly, just want to note that the Theque/Crazy mash-up made its original first appearance in Turin as well, and then vanished partway through the European leg before returning in Mexico!

I know, but the Crazy/Disco/Please mashup was more elaborate in Mexico wasn't it?  As Bono snippeted more of Discotheque's lyrics, Edge played the riff, and Bono snippeted some lyrics from Please.

And when I say "surprise", don't count one song or show out because they soundchecked the song ahead of time.  Just go on the fact that the song(s) appeared in the setlist

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 09:44:57 AM »

I know, but the Crazy/Disco/Please mashup was more elaborate in Mexico wasn't it?  As Bono snippeted more of Discotheque's lyrics, Edge played the riff, and Bono snippeted some lyrics from Please.

Sort of. Bono snippeted the same amount of Discotheque's lyrics both times (Technically slightly more in Turin because he snippeted them at the start of the song as well  :D) and Edge played the riff both times, it was just played on its own in Mexico but mixed into the song in Turin. Although the 'solo riff' was gone within two gigs in Mexico. Please was done for the first time though!

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 09:47:19 AM »
Zooropa ALMOST gets my vote, but Scarlet being played is probably the MOST unlikely thing to have developed.

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 10:10:44 AM »
I figured it would get overlooked, but only one vote for the tour opener with Ultraviolet and Unforgettable Fire?

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 10:13:37 AM »

Sort of. Bono snippeted the same amount of Discotheque's lyrics both times (Technically slightly more in Turin because he snippeted them at the start of the song as well  :D) and Edge played the riff both times, it was just played on its own in Mexico but mixed into the song in Turin. Although the 'solo riff' was gone within two gigs in Mexico. Please was done for the first time though!

Well I didn't know Bono snippeted Disco's lyrics at the start of the song as well.  And I know Edge played the riff both times, but the fact that he played the riff on its own in Mexico just stands out to me a bit more than when he inserts it into Crazy

Offline Rayford27

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Your wheels are turning, but you're upside down
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 11:57:07 AM »
I voted for Ultraviolet and Unforgettable Fire just because up until I saw the tour in person, I shielded myself from any setlist discussions.  And after I saw the show live, I started following all the rehearsal and soundcheck rumors, so I was less surprised by anything since then.

Actually, Ultraviolet wasn't a big surprise, because they played it on Saturday Night Live, but the Unforgettable Fire was a big surprise.  :)

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 09:23:09 PM »
Zooropa!

Whoever thought that would ever get played again... ever!

Cheers,

J

Same for me.  I loved it live.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 10:39:17 PM »
Debut of Scarlet - hands down! I never thought they would do an October song let alone that one  :o :o   :D

I'm so happy they did it though  ;D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 10:41:01 PM by StrongGirl »

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 10:40:20 PM »
Debut of Scarlet - hands down! I never thought they would do an October song let alone that one  :o :o   :D

A few months before they debuted it, I was commenting to my friend about what a pretty song I thought it was, but that it would never ever be played live this long after the band abandoned the record.

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 10:41:54 PM »
Debut of Scarlet - hands down! I never thought they would do an October song let alone that one  :o :o   :D

A few months before they debuted it, I was commenting to my friend about what a pretty song I thought it was, but that it would never ever be played live this long after the band abandoned the record.

I think every single U2 fan was shocked beyond words when Scarlet was rehearsed/played