Author Topic: What happened to the NLOTH tunes?  (Read 1049 times)

Offline chefconti

• Babyface
What happened to the NLOTH tunes?
« on: July 09, 2011, 07:21:26 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I love U2 as much as anyone on these forums, but I am so disappointed to see that they have abandoned most of their new music on this tour.  It makes me so sad to see them drop Breathe, Magnificent, No Line on the Horizon, Unknown Caller, etc.  I love these songs.  U2 fans should want to hear the new music live.  That is what it's all about.  The boys say the new music is finished in the live shows.  But, then drop the new songs from the setlist.  It's sad and disappointing.

Don't get me wrong; I love U2.  They are my favorite band by far.  Nothing is even close.  I go to as many shows as humanly possible.  Go on all the fan sites.  Follow all the twitter feeds of set lists as they happen.  Etc. etc. etc.  But, at the end of the day, I am really sad to see all but three (Boots, Crazy & Moment) get dropped.  Personally, I don't even think those songs even register in the top 3 of that album.  Magnificent should be the Beautiful Day, Elevation, City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo of this album and they don't even play it anymore.

-Sad U2 fan

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
Re: What happened to the NLOTH tunes?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 08:34:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Don't get me wrong, I love U2 as much as anyone on these forums, but I am so disappointed to see that they have abandoned most of their new music on this tour.  It makes me so sad to see them drop Breathe, Magnificent, No Line on the Horizon, Unknown Caller, etc.  I love these songs.  U2 fans should want to hear the new music live.  That is what it's all about.  The boys say the new music is finished in the live shows.  But, then drop the new songs from the setlist.  It's sad and disappointing.

Don't get me wrong; I love U2.  They are my favorite band by far.  Nothing is even close.  I go to as many shows as humanly possible.  Go on all the fan sites.  Follow all the twitter feeds of set lists as they happen.  Etc. etc. etc.  But, at the end of the day, I am really sad to see all but three (Boots, Crazy & Moment) get dropped.  Personally, I don't even think those songs even register in the top 3 of that album.  Magnificent should be the Beautiful Day, Elevation, City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo of this album and they don't even play it anymore.

-Sad U2 fan

Magnificant was one of their worst performing singles in their history. Some die hard fans like it but not to many others.

Offline chefconti

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 09:03:33 PM »
Die hard or not, that song is amazing.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 10:13:01 PM »
To me it's a good song, but not a great one, and it never really took off live.

Offline POP2011

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 12:32:55 AM »
U2 is a band that focuses on the future. So they forgot about NLOTH and moved on to Acthung Baby and ATCLYB.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 05:20:16 AM »
Well, it looks like we only really lost Magnificent because of a last minute decision by the band to stick with the Glastonbury format after Glasto, which is annoying.

It's interesting to speculate on whether we would have lost three NLOTH songs all at once the way we did without such a long break in the tour in 2010 though- especially since we know they have at least considered revivals of both Unknown Caller and No Line.

Offline JamietheEdgefan

• Child of Grace
  • Infinity's a great place to start!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 08:29:24 AM »
I'd guess they were eventually dropped because they received a relatively lukewarm response. It was probably easier for the band to do at first because they began playing all new (or unreleased) songs instead, so they still had that "kiss the future" mindset. But then, album plans were scrapped, and i suppose they just wanted to end the tour on a high of old crowd pleasers (which is fair enough).
I agree its a shame they stopped playing them, but if they really didn't believe they were working live (in terms of crowd response), it kind of makes sense.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 12:55:35 PM »
What happened to them?

Well in 2010 they were replaced with UNRELEASED SONGS

and in 2011 they were replaced with Achtung Baby songs and ZOOROPA

Offline Mercurial

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 06:30:19 PM »
Yeah, I was just thinking that it looks like we lost Magnificent. They tried to rework it and it sounded bad, IMHO. I love it on the album, though.

To be honest, it looks likes they are alternating IWF and OOC in Magnificent's slot. I'd rather hear one of those, not because I prefer those songs, but because those two songs are better live.

Anyway, I love NLOTH, I wish U2 did.