Author Topic: Bono's Pacifism  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
Bono's Pacifism
« on: July 10, 2011, 05:47:08 PM »
Listening to the show last night I was reminded of Bono's pacifism.  It was one thing to be a pacifist during the Cold War, the world that Bono grew up in.  But the world we live in now is incredibly more complex and Bono's stubborn one-size-fits all ideology increasingly appears naive.     

I seriously doubt that peaceful protest can have any impact on those places most on fire in today's world: Syria, Libya, Yemen, Iran, Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan, Somalia.  And these are countries that Bono typically avoids mentioning. 

While it is all well and good to be against the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan what should the world be doing about nuclear proliferation in places like Iran and Pakistan? Where's the Bono plan to keep a suitcase nuke from going off in DC or New York?

Bono reminds me a lot Greenpeace, Amnesty International and the EU; they are mostly critical of the West while ignoring the places were they have little to no influence.  Even in Burma the release of Aung san Suu Kyi has been a PR coup for the military and has helped prop up their regime.

Bono needs to put down his white flag and realize that things like the American Revolution were worth fighting for, not protesting against.     

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
Re: Bono's Pacifism
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 10:31:42 PM »
Do you really expect Bono to come up with a solution to all of the world's problems?

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 11:15:37 PM »
I don't expect solutions from a rock star.  That was part of my point.  It is easy to tear down, harder to build.  And chanting peace from the stage as if this is the Cold War is either naive or part of the brand he's selling.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 12:04:13 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't expect solutions from a rock star.  That was part of my point.  It is easy to tear down, harder to build.  And chanting peace from the stage as if this is the Cold War is either naive or part of the brand he's selling.

Ah, ok. It would have been easier to know that was part of your point if you had stated that because there was no hint of that in your original post.

Just saying.  ;)

People thought MLK and Ghandi were naive as well. I'm not equating Bono to these people by any means, but the concept has been proven to work before. Whether that strategy can work now is a complicated question that should be addressed for each specific issue/location.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 12:35:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Rock N Roll Girl

• Numb
  • Too much is not enough...
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 11:40:58 PM »
I think you have some good points, Manos. MLK and Ghandi's pacifism worked well in the specific areas of their involvement, but the "one size fits all" pacifism, as you say, is too simple for the some of the problems in the world today. It's definitely not going to impress folks in the Middle East. I'm not saying we should be involved militarily in the various conflicts going on, only that peaceful protests over there would be laughed at and then handled as in Briscoe's video.

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 12:56:06 PM »
Bono is not a pacifist.