Author Topic: Best Stadium for the Claw  (Read 4783 times)

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
Re: Best Stadium for the Claw
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 09:04:48 PM »
I've only seen it in E. Lansing and Chicago so far, but I'd vote for Soldier Field. Seeing the spire as we were driving in the first night was really special. SF crew know how to handle a huge crowd. Concessions and restrooms are convenient and reasonably clean (though NOT the Leprecans!). Parking is available under the building!
And they are chill enough to let the band come out if they will. Got to meet The Edge this year.
Sound is amazing, everywhere in the stadium.
To me, Chicago is U2-town!

Might have another opinion after St. Louis and Minneapolis, though. ;)

Offline K2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • light my way
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 10:30:33 PM »
Nobody has mentioned Norman, Oklahoma (was anyone there?  ;D ) The Claw was sitting sideways and the field was very narrow, which yielded an amazing view from lower section seats. Kind of a "best of" the field and seating, because you could get up off the ground a little ways for great sight lines and yet still be within a short distance of the catwalk. My favorite venue of the 360 tour, and maybe my favorite concert so far.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

However, for the most beautiful stadium that I've seen, I'd vote for Soldier Field - the modern asymmetrical architecture and the Chicago Skyline as a backdrop for the Claw made for a stunning combination.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline UToo

• Wanderer
  • squeeze the handle, blow out the candle
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2011, 03:24:32 PM »
I kind of like the stage being sideways, makes for some great seats. (and some bad ones i'd imagine)

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2011, 04:43:47 PM »
I agree with K2, Norman and the sideways stage was awesome!  I was on the catwalk rail on Edge's side, and I bet there weren't more than maybe 20 rows of people behind me.  Very cool. GA on the sides may not have been so good, though. 

Offline Mister Sarajevo

• Babyface
  • I can see those fighter planes
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2011, 06:27:53 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Anahiem was awesome for the claw, it seemed like it fit in that stadium nicely.  I could be wrong but I think that was the first baseball stadium they played at?  I know Oakland is a football/baseball venue.

I really like the idea of the claw in baseball stadiums.  It allows more seats to be closer to the stage because baseballs stadiums are more circular in nature than football/soccer stadiums.

Agree completely.  St. Louis will be interesting with the stage backing up to the outfield seats where I'll be sitting.  There hasn't been a lot of concerts at the new Busch Stadium since it only opened in 2006.  Dave Matthews Band played there a couple years ago , and the Eagles were there last summer but that's about it. 

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2011, 11:12:07 AM »
Raymond James Stadium - Tampa. You had the Claw in one end zone, and a 100' pirate ship in the other! Bono even pointed it out: "You've got a pirate ship...we've got a space ship!"

Offline HEY!youtwo!

• Child of Grace
  • They'll want their money back if youre alive at 33
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2011, 01:10:06 PM »
Raymond James Stadium - Tampa. You had the Claw in one end zone, and a 100' pirate ship in the other! Bono even pointed it out: "You've got a pirate ship...we've got a space ship!"

well that is pretty cool... Did Bono fly over to the pirate ship, shoot off a canon as if the bucs just scored a touchdown and then walk the plank into a mass of fans?

Offline Mister Sarajevo

• Babyface
  • I can see those fighter planes
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2011, 07:50:23 PM »
Anahiem was awesome for the claw, it seemed like it fit in that stadium nicely.  I could be wrong but I think that was the first baseball stadium they played at?  I know Oakland is a football/baseball venue.

I really like the idea of the claw in baseball stadiums.  It allows more seats to be closer to the stage because baseballs stadiums are more circular in nature than football/soccer stadiums.

Agree completely.  St. Louis will be interesting with the stage backing up to the outfield seats where I'll be sitting.  There hasn't been a lot of concerts at the new Busch Stadium since it only opened in 2006.  Dave Matthews Band played there a couple years ago , and the Eagles were there last summer but that's about it. 

Offline globaljosh

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2011, 10:38:48 AM »

well that is pretty cool... Did Bono fly over to the pirate ship, shoot off a canon as if the bucs just scored a touchdown and then walk the plank into a mass of fans?

Haha! That would have been awesome! Although, I saw him "walk the plank into a mass of fans" (backwards, off the ramp) on the Elevation Tour opener in 2001...I hope he won't try that move ever again!

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2011, 11:06:17 AM »
I don't have a photo from '09 but the Claw looked so beautiful in the night sky at the Meadowlands. That was the old stadium. I think it will look even more beautiful in the new one. I'll let you know after July 20th  ;)

I just hope there is no bomb threat this time so the fighter planes don't have to circle up above us ! I could see those fighter planes, I could see those fighter planes. They should have played Bullet the Blue Sky!  :D

The Claw probably looks beautiful at night in any of the stadiums though I do agree, some are more stunning than others.

Agreed about the Meadowlands, maybe it's cause we were there  :D

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2011, 05:55:03 PM »

I'd pay some serious cash to see this!   :D

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2011, 01:32:25 AM »
I took this photo in Perth... How good is it to have the Claw in your back garden?

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #42 on: July 18, 2011, 05:25:11 AM »
I took this photo in Perth... How good is it to have the Claw in your back garden?

Just buy one of the Claws, and you can have it in your back graden all the time.  It'd make a nice playhouse for the kiddos.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #43 on: July 18, 2011, 06:19:06 AM »

Just buy one of the Claws, and you can have it in your back graden all the time.  It'd make a nice playhouse for the kiddos.

I can't fit it in. My back garden is taken up by a stupidly sized video screen and a mirrorball lemon...

Offline HEY!youtwo!

• Child of Grace
  • They'll want their money back if youre alive at 33
« Reply #44 on: July 18, 2011, 10:17:49 AM »

I can't fit it in. My back garden is taken up by a stupidly sized video screen and a mirrorball lemon...

you totally need to transform the lemon into a neighborhood lemonade stand that you could franchise to the neighbor kids