Author Topic: Philly concert/tribute to the amazing meetup  (Read 12398 times)

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
Re: Philly concert/tribute to the amazing meetup
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2011, 05:07:37 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
LOL

you know they totally are.

who knows, maybe edge will make a song about it.

instead of return of the stingray guitar...mystery girl and the felt guitar  ;D

I am still mentally kicking myself for not realizing that E's security guy was looking for the felt guitar....

...damn damn damn damn damn...        

You must get the guitar delivered to him before the tour ends or that will haunt me the rest of my life!!!!

RTSS!  The Return of the Felt Guitar!  FTW!!!!
Wifey, you must stop beating yourself up.

I swear, I am going to write seriously here about how amazing that entire day was...if I ever catch up on my sleep enough to be coherent!

LOL OH YEAH!! :D

Offline Georgia

• Elevated
  • Contradiction is Balance
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2011, 06:51:56 PM »
LOL

you know they totally are.

who knows, maybe edge will make a song about it.

instead of return of the stingray guitar...mystery girl and the felt guitar  ;D

I am still mentally kicking myself for not realizing that E's security guy was looking for the felt guitar....

...damn damn damn damn damn...        

You must get the guitar delivered to him before the tour ends or that will haunt me the rest of my life!!!!

RTSS!  The Return of the Felt Guitar!  FTW!!!!
Wifey, you must stop beating yourself up.

I swear, I am going to write seriously here about how amazing that entire day was...if I ever catch up on my sleep enough to be coherent!

For real.  I'm still walking around in a sleep-deprived U2-induced daze.   :D

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2011, 07:07:25 PM »

WE WERE THERE

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2011, 07:16:36 PM »
I wish I lived closer and could have done the Philly show with you all! Thanks for sharing!

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2011, 07:19:10 PM »
I wish I lived closer and could have done the Philly show with you all! Thanks for sharing!

GT you would have been a welcome addition. But I think you were Stampeding.

Offline Mandles

• Elevated
  • It's that time of year again!
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2011, 06:58:03 PM »
I said I would write here properly, sorry it's taken me more than a week to do so!

First let me say that from Tuesday on last week was one of the best weeks of my life! 

Maymay - It's not possible for me to put into words how much it meant to me to have you here, to go to a show and to get to hang out in NYC together.  As amazing as you always are here, it was so much better getting to laugh with you in person.  Sorry for pinching you so much!  ;)   You mean the world to me and I love you dearly.  Also, I can't wait for you to get back from vacation because I'm going through withdrawal.  I will see you again next year come hell or high water.

4D - You and your family throw a fabulous party!  I told your mom that what had originally started as a joke (you being my long lost little sister) feels absolutely true now.   I can't tell you enough how amazing a person you are.  You have an enormous heart and capacity to love.  Never forget that.  The last six weeks have been completely and totally unbelievable and there's no one else I would have rather have gone through all the madness with.  (I look forward to the next time we boss Edge around together.  It will happen after all.  He's totally stalking us.)  Oh, and thanks for making me cry after Interpol.

dudette - Your Explorer truly is Even Better Than the Real Thing!   :D :D :D  I loved getting to hang out with you for an entire day.  It was way too much fun!   And OME!  The reaction you got from Dallas was way too fantastic for words.  And the Edge guitar nod?  GAH!   You are my hero.  Seriously.  I have faith you'll get it to its rightful owner in Pittsburgh.  Tell mom I said hi!  I will be coming down to visit Beli this fall...which means I'll be seeing you too!  (See what I did there?!)

RTSS - We did spend a fair amount of time laughing, didn't we?  :D  You have an amazing sense of humor.   It was a joy to see someone get so lost in the show.  Also, your signs are epic.   Please, have another grape...their in the cooler with the DRY ICE!  I am thrilled I got to meet you!

To everyone else I met (or got to see again): MG, georgia, starman, Edge O'Reason, U2_Dan, OAP (from afar), mlines6, Beli - You've all proven what I've always suspected.  U2 fans are the best!  (Very sorry if I missed someone....knew I should have done this sooner!)

As for the show.  I'm not going to recap the entire thing.  But I will say this:  During One, 4D and Maymay both hugged me and stayed there, pulling dudette and RTSS into the fold.  We stayed like that for the whole song, singing our hearts out.  It was an unbelievably moving moment for me to be so embraced by some of the most incredible people I have ever met.  Sorry for crying all over you guys when B went into Hallelujah, though! 

Thank you all for making such an amazing week possible.   :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Mandles

• Elevated
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2011, 07:00:50 PM »
OME!  I almost forgot!  Beli!  I really thought we were going to wake up the house laughing at 2 am back at Susie's!  You do tell the BEST stories.  And make the best s'mores.  4D - you laughing is one of my favorite things ever.  dudette and RTSS - there are probably apologies owed...but it was to much fun to bother!  :D

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2011, 07:13:41 PM »
Why did my brother have to come to the show?  I wish I could have spent it with you guys  :'(

Offline Georgia

• Elevated
  • Contradiction is Balance
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2011, 07:49:59 PM »
I can't wait for the next tour just so I can share it with y'all!!

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2011, 05:30:00 AM »
Willie Williams loved the full moon at Philly, too.  From U2.com:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

What an amazing time you all had! 

Offline dudette

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2011, 10:55:24 AM »
Mandles! ;D Awww that was so sweet! ;D
Can't wait to see you again. :)

Maymay- yeah seriously, it will all work out. :D We got so close for it not to! Just wish me luck for Pitts ;D

RTSS- the Return of the Felt Guitar debuts in Pitts for sure. ;D

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2011, 01:22:27 PM »
Willie Williams loved the full moon at Philly, too.  From U2.com:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

What an amazing time you all had! 

yay!! finally a full moon pic :D :D

RTSS- the Return of the Felt Guitar debuts in Pitts for sure. ;D

you betta ;D ;D

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2011, 02:56:54 PM »
So I am finally writing about my Philly experience. Finally.

A few things to start it off.  Since Philly was announced I was really looking forward to the gig. But of course that was forever ago. Add an extra year, a few health set backs and an underwhelming Baltimore show and I was seriously rethinking my U2 plans. It was bad enough I had to scrap several other concerts and maybe because it was just not shaping up to the U2 Summer I had been anticipating but my heart just wasn’t in it. A huge shout out to my fellow forum members who had patience and persistence with me and encouraged me to go. A special shout out to uplate who guilted/goaded/encouraged me to come and 4D who graciously offered me shelter at the unofficial hotel of the atu2 Forum, Philly location, better known as her parents’ house.  A possible concert companion and a place to stay made it impossible to say No. Thus I out my reservations aside and went to what has been one of the most prefect concert experiences I have ever had.
The day of the show was indeed a beautiful day. You just don’t get that kind of weather in Philly in July. After an uneventful and easy drive up, I found parking at Lincoln Financial Field with no problem and cruised into my space as the car next to me blared Hawkemoon. What a good sign. After checking in for my seating at the ticket window I went to the GA line to catch some forum folks and to wait for uplate. Once at the line I caught up with the gang and received what I can honestly say was the warmest welcome I have ever received in my life. Mandles, maymay, 4D, RTSS, dudette and of course dudette’s mom—you guys are the absolute best. It was worth the drive just to see you guys. It was also great to connect with MG and Georgia and finally meet them as well. My only regret was not being about to find OAP and missing EOR. 
Finally at uplate and I connected and went into the stadium.
I know a few people were bummed about Interpol being the opening act. I thought they were good. Florence was a tough act to follow and let’s face it, being the opening act for U2 is a mixed blessing—yeah you get seen and it is an honor but really, few people are coming there to see you. And you play to a mostly empty venue. Even though I didn’t really know Interpol’s music I thought they really gave it their all.
One of my favorite moments of the 360 tour has been watching the guys walk in. They are like matadors coming into the bull ring and this time did not disappoint.  I know everyone has seen the set list and moved on by now but some highlights for me were. . .

I Will Follow: I was OK with dropping The Fly, having had it in Balt. I Will Follow was a highlight mainly because uplate and I had talked up U2 to our stadium ushers and Vi the supervisor actually came back to us to dance along to Follow. Seeing someone enjoy U2 for the first time live is always magical to watch.
Stay: this was my favorite moment of the show for so many reasons. First the moment Bono mentioned Sinatra, uplate and I squealed like school girls and clasped hands, knowing that Stay was going to be sung. We were then treated to one of the best live versions of it I have ever heard with Bono is full voice and Edge by his side. The haunting lyric enhanced by the cool crisp night and the full moon by the Claw. It is forever etched in my mind.
Miss Sarajevo: Always a favorite moment of mine I was heartbroken in Balt when Bono hit The Note but didn’t sustain it. In Philly he was spot on. Another Beli/uplate moment of rejoicing, too bad no one else in our section really got why this was so amazing. We knew. ;)
Beautiful Day: Knowing that the shuttle program was coming to a close soon made this especially poignant. Also having Bono give a shout out to the Commander and his recovering wife has also been touching. It is not often that a devoted married couple get a shout out in the world of rock.
Elevation: Not that I really needed to hear it but as the show started uplate and I met the most adorable special needs teenager who was gushing about seeing U2 live for the first time. All he wanted to hear was Elevation His mother told me that he plays the song at least 20 times a day. I wish I could have seen how happy this boy was when those first notes were played and tat u2 knew how happy they made him.  Another reminder of how special U2 is to so many people in so many different ways.
Walk On/Aung San Suu Kyi Speech: While watching her speak it hit me that when the 360 Tour started, she was still under house arrest and now she is free. I find this to be so inspirational and to show that almost anything is possible if good men and women do something instead of nothing. Had the tour gone as scheduled we would not have been able to hear this woman speak. I know the two things are not necessarily connected but I still find it amazing.
WOWY: I lament that Bono does not sing this anymore but speaks it, however this was one of the better performances I have seen on the tour.
At this point I have to fully commend the staff of the venue for being proficient and professional. At Baltimore, the venue sold the ADA seating, leaving several people who needed it without a place to sit. Philadelphia was on top of the situation and we got to our seats with no problem.   A special thanks to the ushers in our area, Stu, Vi and Sean who kicked out the people trying to sneak cigarettes and cleared out those blocking the way for people in wheelchairs and for still rocking out to U2. You guys were awesome.
But of course the post show meeting at 4Ds almost made the actual gig pale by comparison. Again 4D, thanks for the shelter. Apologies to your parents.  Had I not attended the show I not only would have missed out on seeing a fantastic U2 gig but I would have missed out on bonding with fellow forum members. Really the highlight for me was the post concert Smoresfest where I got to know 4D even better – if you ever need to smuggle contraband, she’s your operative; giggle with Mandles- I don’t repeat stories often but for you it was worth it; bond a little with maymay before she crashed- the cow mug stares at me every day and I cannot bring myself to use it; finally meet one of my idols, RTSS- you are just as adorable as I knew you would be and you have the best body shaking laugh around; and of course dudette, even though I have met you IRL more than anyone else on the forum, I learn more about you each time and you continue to astound me- there is no one else I would rather hide things in the bushes with.  All of this was capped off with the epic 3:33 Forum Hug Fest. Best tradition ever.
Uplate, you are the superlative concert companion and I thank you for being the driving force to get me to come. Look at all I would have missed out upon by not going, least of which would have been enjoying the show with you.
I have a friend who writes a travel blog and she says that the only trip she has ever regretted was the one she didn’t take. Had I not gone on this trip I would have missed out on so much. Thank you everyone who made it so special.

Offline uplate6674

• Up With the Sun
  • every poet is a thief
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2011, 04:38:25 PM »
So I am finally writing about my Philly experience. Finally.

A few things to start it off.  Since Philly was announced I was really looking forward to the gig. But of course that was forever ago. Add an extra year, a few health set backs and an underwhelming Baltimore show and I was seriously rethinking my U2 plans. It was bad enough I had to scrap several other concerts and maybe because it was just not shaping up to the U2 Summer I had been anticipating but my heart just wasn’t in it. A huge shout out to my fellow forum members who had patience and persistence with me and encouraged me to go. A special shout out to uplate who guilted/goaded/encouraged me to come and 4D who graciously offered me shelter at the unofficial hotel of the atu2 Forum, Philly location, better known as her parents’ house.  A possible concert companion and a place to stay made it impossible to say No. Thus I out my reservations aside and went to what has been one of the most prefect concert experiences I have ever had.
The day of the show was indeed a beautiful day. You just don’t get that kind of weather in Philly in July. After an uneventful and easy drive up, I found parking at Lincoln Financial Field with no problem and cruised into my space as the car next to me blared Hawkemoon. What a good sign. After checking in for my seating at the ticket window I went to the GA line to catch some forum folks and to wait for uplate. Once at the line I caught up with the gang and received what I can honestly say was the warmest welcome I have ever received in my life. Mandles, maymay, 4D, RTSS, dudette and of course dudette’s mom—you guys are the absolute best. It was worth the drive just to see you guys. It was also great to connect with MG and Georgia and finally meet them as well. My only regret was not being about to find OAP and missing EOR. 
Finally at uplate and I connected and went into the stadium.
I know a few people were bummed about Interpol being the opening act. I thought they were good. Florence was a tough act to follow and let’s face it, being the opening act for U2 is a mixed blessing—yeah you get seen and it is an honor but really, few people are coming there to see you. And you play to a mostly empty venue. Even though I didn’t really know Interpol’s music I thought they really gave it their all.
One of my favorite moments of the 360 tour has been watching the guys walk in. They are like matadors coming into the bull ring and this time did not disappoint.  I know everyone has seen the set list and moved on by now but some highlights for me were. . .

I Will Follow: I was OK with dropping The Fly, having had it in Balt. I Will Follow was a highlight mainly because uplate and I had talked up U2 to our stadium ushers and Vi the supervisor actually came back to us to dance along to Follow. Seeing someone enjoy U2 for the first time live is always magical to watch.
Stay: this was my favorite moment of the show for so many reasons. First the moment Bono mentioned Sinatra, uplate and I squealed like school girls and clasped hands, knowing that Stay was going to be sung. We were then treated to one of the best live versions of it I have ever heard with Bono is full voice and Edge by his side. The haunting lyric enhanced by the cool crisp night and the full moon by the Claw. It is forever etched in my mind.
Miss Sarajevo: Always a favorite moment of mine I was heartbroken in Balt when Bono hit The Note but didn’t sustain it. In Philly he was spot on. Another Beli/uplate moment of rejoicing, too bad no one else in our section really got why this was so amazing. We knew. ;)
Beautiful Day: Knowing that the shuttle program was coming to a close soon made this especially poignant. Also having Bono give a shout out to the Commander and his recovering wife has also been touching. It is not often that a devoted married couple get a shout out in the world of rock.
Elevation: Not that I really needed to hear it but as the show started uplate and I met the most adorable special needs teenager who was gushing about seeing U2 live for the first time. All he wanted to hear was Elevation His mother told me that he plays the song at least 20 times a day. I wish I could have seen how happy this boy was when those first notes were played and tat u2 knew how happy they made him.  Another reminder of how special U2 is to so many people in so many different ways.
Walk On/Aung San Suu Kyi Speech: While watching her speak it hit me that when the 360 Tour started, she was still under house arrest and now she is free. I find this to be so inspirational and to show that almost anything is possible if good men and women do something instead of nothing. Had the tour gone as scheduled we would not have been able to hear this woman speak. I know the two things are not necessarily connected but I still find it amazing.
WOWY: I lament that Bono does not sing this anymore but speaks it, however this was one of the better performances I have seen on the tour.
At this point I have to fully commend the staff of the venue for being proficient and professional. At Baltimore, the venue sold the ADA seating, leaving several people who needed it without a place to sit. Philadelphia was on top of the situation and we got to our seats with no problem.   A special thanks to the ushers in our area, Stu, Vi and Sean who kicked out the people trying to sneak cigarettes and cleared out those blocking the way for people in wheelchairs and for still rocking out to U2. You guys were awesome.
But of course the post show meeting at 4Ds almost made the actual gig pale by comparison. Again 4D, thanks for the shelter. Apologies to your parents.  Had I not attended the show I not only would have missed out on seeing a fantastic U2 gig but I would have missed out on bonding with fellow forum members. Really the highlight for me was the post concert Smoresfest where I got to know 4D even better – if you ever need to smuggle contraband, she’s your operative; giggle with Mandles- I don’t repeat stories often but for you it was worth it; bond a little with maymay before she crashed- the cow mug stares at me every day and I cannot bring myself to use it; finally meet one of my idols, RTSS- you are just as adorable as I knew you would be and you have the best body shaking laugh around; and of course dudette, even though I have met you IRL more than anyone else on the forum, I learn more about you each time and you continue to astound me- there is no one else I would rather hide things in the bushes with.  All of this was capped off with the epic 3:33 Forum Hug Fest. Best tradition ever.
Uplate, you are the superlative concert companion and I thank you for being the driving force to get me to come. Look at all I would have missed out upon by not going, least of which would have been enjoying the show with you.
I have a friend who writes a travel blog and she says that the only trip she has ever regretted was the one she didn’t take. Had I not gone on this trip I would have missed out on so much. Thank you everyone who made it so special.

Aww, shucks, Beli, you're so awesome! When I was trying to convince you to come, I told you it wouldn't be the same without you, and that was definitely the case. All U2 shows are fun, but your presence made it transcendent! No one else would have had the exact same reaction to Stay and Miss Sarajevo. I'm so glad we both got to go together.  I had definitely not been feeling well at all that morning, and I'm glad we both made it to the show, because it was beyond worth it.

Offline Mandles

• Elevated
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2011, 04:41:12 PM »
Damn!  I knew I missed someone! 

So glad to have met you, Uplate!  And thanks for the help after the show!  :D