Author Topic: SPOILER:Official Magnetic Hill Music Festival, Moncton, Set-List: 30th July 2011  (Read 50937 times)

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Unknown Caller, this show fell short of nothing (no other last show). If you were there, you'd feel the same. The energy there was fantastic!!! In fact, of all the shows I've ever seen, this is my new favorite. Springhill Mining Disaster, for godsakes!! Where the hell did THAT come from? They haven't played it for over 20 years!!! OMG, I went ballistic when he started singing that. And OOC... 40... Good god.

Like all set list complaints, you had to be there.

Oh no, I'm sure it was brilliant when you were there! I just meant in pure setlist terms and in 'surprises' it definitely didn't measure up to Miami, where we got 'My Sweet Lord', Larry joining the support band and 'In God's Country', or Honolulu when we got Pearl Jam and members of Greenday joining the band onstage, plus Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses with a fan. And it seemed so obvious that they would do something withCarney *and* Arcade Fire, so to not get either was pretty underwhelming... I get that it would be different to be there, though

BUT...

U2 played TWO songs after their normal closer, including one that has only been played a handful of times all tour as well as a song making its TOUR DEBUT as the last song of the entire tour!  So there were surprises

Offline ABloodRedSky

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • We're sorry, we're closed for lunch.
Unknown Caller, this show fell short of nothing (no other last show). If you were there, you'd feel the same. The energy there was fantastic!!! In fact, of all the shows I've ever seen, this is my new favorite. Springhill Mining Disaster, for godsakes!! Where the hell did THAT come from? They haven't played it for over 20 years!!! OMG, I went ballistic when he started singing that. And OOC... 40... Good god.

Oh no, I'm sure it was brilliant when you were there! I just meant in pure setlist terms and in 'surprises' it definitely didn't measure up to Miami, where we got 'My Sweet Lord', Larry joining the support band and 'In God's Country', or Honolulu when we got Pearl Jam and members of Greenday joining the band onstage, plus Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses with a fan. And it seemed so obvious that they would do something withCarney *and* Arcade Fire, so to not get either was pretty underwhelming... I get that it would be different to be there, though

BUT...

U2 played TWO songs after their normal closer, including one that has only been played a handful of times all tour as well as a song making its TOUR DEBUT as the last song of the entire tour!  So there were surprises

I guess not everyone considers the same thing to be a surprise! :D

Again, different opinions, different perspectives...no right answer. And certainly no misguidance. :)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

BUT...

'40', sure, but it would have been more of a surprise if they hadn't played Out of Control or Bad after Moment of Surrender on those last few shows. The point of the last show being special is that it's... well, special. Unique. And it's not unique if they just did it- particularly given that they had just played 'Bad' in that slot a gig or two before and Bad is unquestionably more of a fan favourite than Out of Control or 40!

• Drowning Man/Woman

BUT...

'40', sure, but it would have been more of a surprise if they hadn't played Out of Control or Bad after Moment of Surrender on those last few shows. The point of the last show being special is that it's... well, special. Unique. And it's not unique if they just did it- particularly given that they had just played 'Bad' in that slot a gig or two before and Bad is unquestionably more of a fan favourite than Out of Control or 40!

Bad was played once and OOC was played twice in the last seven shows, its not like they were played every night.  So yea that kinda makes them a surprise

Offline ABloodRedSky

• Drowning Man/Woman

BUT...

Bad was played once and OOC was played twice in the last seven shows, its not like they were played every night.  So yea that kinda makes them a surprise

Soapyyyyyy. :D Did you read my post? :P

• Holy Joe

BUT...

When two of the three shows before Moncton have a song after Moment of Surrender, Moncton having a song after Moment of Surrender- especially one which has already appeared in that exact slot- is... well, you can maybe, MAYBE call it a surprise if you stretch. What it absolutely, 100% isn't though, is unique. The only thing 'unique' about Moncton was 40, and that is a big difference with past tour closers- hence why I feel it was so anticlimatic.

• Drowning Man/Woman
I saw no need for U2 to change up their set for the last show.  This leg, especially the last half of it, had been so wildly successful.  The shows have been filled with such energy and the setlists flowed like a river, no need to interrupt that with a stupid appearance by the support acts (which takes away a song from U2's set) or for U2 to dramatically change what's made the last few shows so successful.  I, for one, would much rather see U2 snippet Love Will Tear Us Apart instead of Arcade Fire play it with them.  I paid to see U2 close their tour, not to see Arcade Fire.  And I feel that I would say "I already saw Arcade Fire play tonight, I don't want to see them play again".

U2 played a set that they and us have all fallen in love with.  And like Edge said, the last few dates would be so comfortable and cohesive so why interrupt that.  We got two surprises at the end of the set, which is much better than in the middle of the set, I feel.  U2's final concert went perfectly, it seems

• Holy Joe
I, for one, would much rather see U2 snippet Love Will Tear Us Apart instead of Arcade Fire play it with them.

You know I agree with you a lot, Soapy, especially on some of 360 and NLOTH, but the mere idea of this utterly blows my mind.   :D

The Grave

I was hoping they'd play Acrobat. REALLY surprise us

really. what could of they done besides played w/ AC and Carney

• Drowning Man/Woman
I, for one, would much rather see U2 snippet Love Will Tear Us Apart instead of Arcade Fire play it with them.

You know I agree with you a lot, Soapy, especially on some of 360 and NLOTH, but the mere idea of this utterly blows my mind.   :D

I personally don't like Arcade Fire that much.  They're good for sure, but I'm not really into them.  And to see them, or any support act really, take a song away from U2's set to play a cover version of a song would be like robbery to me.  It would be a little different if AF came on stage to perform Out of Control with U2, but if there would be any collaboration, I would much rather see U2 come on during the support set.  If I were at Moncton and I saw Love Will Tear Us Apart played instead of Out of Control for example, I'd be pi**ed

• Holy Joe
I doubt they would have taken away a normal setlist slot though- they didn't on Vertigo, they played it *in addition to*. They could have just added it in- and really, I don't think the 360 Tour- while really tight- is so much so that it couldn't have allowed one or two extra songs.

Offline ABloodRedSky

• Drowning Man/Woman

Quite agree. I'd rather see something unique like that then something that's already been done at another show.

• Drowning Man/Woman
I doubt they would have taken away a normal setlist slot though- they didn't on Vertigo, they played it *in addition to*. They could have just added it in- and really, I don't think the 360 Tour- while really tight- is so much so that it couldn't have allowed one or two extra songs.

I'm someone who is INCREDIBLY opposed to U2 playing covers at a concert, as well as U2 bringing up guests to play a cover song with them.  So thats opposition #1 for me.  If U2 wants to extend the set, then play OOC and 40.  Done.  Perfect.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
Miami and Honolulu were arena tours. Moncton had over 100,000 ppl in attendance. I think it's the difference in type of tour...

• Drowning Man/Woman
Miami and Honolulu were arena tours. Moncton had over 100,000 ppl in attendance. I think it's the difference in type of tour...

Honolulu was in Aloha Stadium actually