Author Topic: What is up with Edge's Amps??  (Read 2035 times)

Offline bobbyh7

• Babyface
  • Windmill Lane, Dublin
What is up with Edge's Amps??
« on: July 21, 2011, 02:57:22 PM »
My friend is convinced that the classic U2 guitar sounds are not produced through Edges amps....he says they are too old and ripped,  (which they do look...I think the Vox is from 1983, and it is actually ripped)  I told im that yes in fact Edge has been using these Amps for years and they do produce those sounds......someone please back me up on this!!!!!!

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
Re: What is up with Edge's Amps??
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 04:00:48 PM »
Have him watch It Could Get Loud. Dave uses his old amps. They're not decorative furniture.

Offline mrsamrocks2

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 06:45:17 PM »
He uses his Vox amps since the very beggining. His amps are from the 60's I think. An old vintage amp is what sounds the best.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 06:48:43 PM »
I think I read that everything inside the old amps has been replaced, so there are new guts in the original cases.

Offline Starguitar

• Desert Rose
  • Thanks U2 & the 360 tour for the best night ever.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 07:03:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think I read that everything inside the old amps has been replaced, so there are new guts in the original cases.

This probably is the case. I use an 1985 amp, and though it was well taken care of, I had to go through and replace alot of parts. With the stress of touring performances, I can't imagine this not the truth.

Offline Achtung_Habs

• Party Girl/Boy
  • In the name of Love
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 07:41:21 PM »
The ripped part is only the casing, as said before, all the guts have been replaced.  I played an old amp at a local shop here, it looked like s*** but played like a dream!

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
this is so funny - because i was just mentioning to my friend at the chicago show that those amps looked really old, and wondered if they were from the very beginning.  (not being a guitarist,   - i'd never really paid attention to them before...)

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 08:05:15 PM »
Now that I think about it, I think Dallas maybe talked about the amps in It Might Get Loud, and said the only part that hadn't been replaced was the outside, but Edge insisted on keeping the original Vox case.

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 08:10:02 PM »
well now i'm gonna have to watch that again - shame, isn't it?   ;) ;D

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 08:11:30 PM »
Yeah, Edge and Dallas, not much eye candy there.

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 09:27:54 PM »
I remember hearing that Edge went hunting for Vox AC30's at every chance he could get.

Offline celticfc09

• Refugee
  • Zhdanost - eto khorosho
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 09:20:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I remember hearing that Edge went hunting for Vox AC30's at every chance he could get.

yea ive read he has like 50 of em.

and it is the magic to edge's sound, you can match all his FX and guitars but you can never get the sound with out the 60s AC30. they make a little device which simulates the classic sound and its pretty spot on, but the chimmey melodies of streets and bad can only be reproduced with an AC30

Offline Mercurial

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 09:00:45 AM »
If you look at the gigapixel shots from u2.com of the venues you can see his old vox's mic'ed up.

Offline bulltproof

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 11:32:13 AM »
Those are no doubt tube amps.
A tube amp produces a much warmer sound. Audiophiles prefer tube amps.

The older amps are built like a tank. The only things that fail usually are the tubes.
In this case, the speaker surrounds fail too. However, both the tubes and speakers can be replaced.

The only downfall to this is he is amplifying a tube amp with a digital amp (hence the microphones).

Offline TheEdge90

• Wanderer
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 12:31:49 PM »
It is Vox AC30s. And I think that the shell, the things we can see on the amp, is the same as from the start. But the electronics, the tubes and the ampifiers I guess gets changed out many times just in a year. This is the way it is with tube amplifiers. I´ve got a Vox myself, and I have changed around on it alot.

The Edge´s sound definitely comes from the Vox amps. You can get a really decent Edge-sound just by using a Vox Ac15/30 pressed to its breaking point, and a delay pedal with modulation.