Author Topic: To all those who think Zoo TV is U2's best era/tour  (Read 30090 times)

Offline Gavin Tuesday

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: To all those who think Zoo TV is U2's best era/tour
« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2011, 03:09:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The cars were definitely not ducks, or newts at that, or if they were, they got better by the start of tour.

What about very small rocks?

If they float your boat...

Witch!

The Professor

« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2011, 03:22:44 PM »
The Trabant cars were just the outer shells, obviously, once they were used as part of the stage.  One of them went up for auction on ebay a few years back.  Don't remember how much it sold for, but that would have been a cool bit of U2 memorabilia to own.

satellitedog01

« Reply #137 on: July 31, 2011, 03:30:37 PM »
Well, Gavin, I'll just move to the furthest end of the Banana then to avoid prosecution.

You can still find Trabants in former East-block countries. Some even running. Could likely get it for 200 USD and it would be a nice project to paint/cover it with the preferred artwork. We used to have one for my mother to practice driving without endangering our proper car... :-)

One of my fave venues has a big garden and they turned a Trabbi painted with the Brazilian flag into a table-box, by turning the front seats around.
It would be the coolest ever, were it not for the overenthusiastic party-faces who most likely vomited inside it... Oh the golden years...

Offline Gavin Tuesday

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2011, 03:36:59 PM »

I'm not sure how you were able to re-post a deleted comment. Kind of creepy.

Might want to do your "research" before you say stuff like that, Prof.

Soapit "posted" your comment when he asked you what kind of a professor you were.  Take a look for yourself (reply #116), I replied from that.  So apparently someone saw and responded to your comment before you deleted.  And, as you point out, the whole of my comment was to say I wouldn't respond.  Oh, and to join soapit in asking about the mystery of exactly what you're a professor of.  That should have been your clue where I saw your comment. I didn't respond substantively your post precisely because you had deleted it...and I said as much.  So much for trying to be gracious.

Apology accepted.  Assuming, of course, you're big enough to apologize.  I have my suspicions....let's see if I'm right about that as well.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 04:25:10 PM by Gavin Tuesday »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #139 on: July 31, 2011, 03:38:10 PM »
I still don't know what The Professor is a professor of.  ???

satellitedog01

« Reply #140 on: July 31, 2011, 03:43:51 PM »
Only the Professor himself knows and he posts in mysterious waves...

For a moment I was thinking maybe The Professor is in fact Gavin, and he just tries to pull of some full forum-member persona reinvention a la Achtung Baby era U2, and turn into the other side of the coin, personality wise...  Hmm.

I will pull this off just for fun at some point.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 03:47:35 PM by satellitedog01 »

The Professor

« Reply #141 on: July 31, 2011, 04:31:19 PM »
Oh, SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-*

I deleted my mistaken post, so why don't you delete your response to it and we'll start over.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 04:33:27 PM by The Professor »

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #142 on: July 31, 2011, 04:37:12 PM »
Oh, SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-*

I deleted my mistaken post, so why don't you delete your response to it and we'll start over.

No, don't start over. End it. Now.

Offline aarong

• Desert Rose
  • What's a Double Bass? Oh a Big Voilin
« Reply #143 on: July 31, 2011, 04:46:10 PM »
no comparison. U2 waliking on stage, soing a best of tour ending in MoS (360), compared to a huge entrance, a persona change half way though. No comparison. Zoo TV was the pinace U2 have ever got in terms of performance. Based purely on performance, paying good money in not just to hear a few of your songs just played, that is

The Professor

« Reply #144 on: July 31, 2011, 04:46:56 PM »
Don't you have some moldy old Rush records to dust off, JT?

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #145 on: July 31, 2011, 04:53:06 PM »
Don't you have some moldy old Rush records to dust off, JT?

And cue 30000 word response from GT, ad nauseum

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #146 on: July 31, 2011, 08:44:23 PM »
I'm a professor of Geriatric Medicine.  How else would I feel so comfortable arguing with a bunch of grumpy old U2 & Rush fans?

so where are these field trips to you go on?

Offline gnmmet

• Numb
  • Your love is like a secret it gets passed around
« Reply #147 on: July 31, 2011, 09:54:26 PM »
Zoo Tv was better, but 360 wasn't bad. Personally I prefer the 360 performances to those from any of the tours in the 80s. The mullet, high heeled boots, their mannerisms on stage and Bono's old voice kinda put me off.

U2 may have done better, but not by a ridiculous amount. Ultimately what counts is, do people feel satisfied leaving the gigs? I think most if not all did.

Offline Gavin Tuesday

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #148 on: August 01, 2011, 11:16:39 AM »
I'm a professor of Geriatric Medicine.  How else would I feel so comfortable arguing with a bunch of grumpy old U2 & Rush fans?

so where are these field trips to you go on?

I'm not sure we're going to get an answer on that one either...his original "Professor of Geriatric Medicine" comment has mysteriously been deleted as well.

That's quite a disappearing act...the Professor does indeed move in mysterious ways.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:29:44 AM by Gavin Tuesday (Mt. Temple Comp. School show was AWESOME!) »

The Professor

« Reply #149 on: August 01, 2011, 04:49:17 PM »
Unless we're all gonna meet for pints to discuss U2 in person, personal information seems irrelevant, and besides, I'm not The Professor anymore, I'm...The MacFessor, in the spirit of this ZOO TV forum.  

Why don't you ask Exile where he's been exiled from or what breed SatelliteDog is?

On another note, I don't know about the rest of you, but now that the tour has ended I feel strangely detached and almost indifferent about anything U2-related, or perhaps just kind of empty after the frenzy of topics and U2 news the past few months (and LACK of NEW news).  It's kind of a good thing the tour has ended; now U2 can get back to work.  

I don't think the band (or any band these days) can afford to go away for as long as they have in the past.  In the old days, a band could go away for four years and be able to return to a music industry relatively unchanged from how they left it.  If U2 are smart, they'll recognize that they have to return to working like they used to up until Rattle And Hum...faster.  I mean, think of it, from 1980-1988, they produced Boy (1980), October (1981), War (1983), Under A Blood Red Sky, The Unforgettable Fire (1984), Wide Awake In America, The Joshua Tree (1987), Rattle and Hum (1988), along with tours and b-sides for each.  I think they need to put themselves back on this work schedule, though possibly without a tour for EVERY project.

Three years went by after Rattle And Hum and we got Achtung Baby (1991), followed by Zooropa (1993), Original Soundtracks (1995), and Pop (1997).  This would be my ideal schedule for them to get themselves on, but not two years from the release of No Line On The Horizon.  A surprise late 2011 album is needed, or early 2012 (Songs Of Ascent & Original Soundtracks II or something like would be cool, an interesting record that might not require a tour, but perhaps some one-off shows here and there).

After Pop, it was three years until All That You Can't Leave Behind (2000), then four years until How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (2004), and five years until No Line on the Horizon (2009).  I don't think they can afford to operate on this type of release scheme anymore.

To somehow tie this tangent in with the thread topic, U2 needs to embrace for themselves as a band one of the ideas they were projecting to the audience via ZOO TV, the awareness of a 24 hour world of fast changes and more than a multitude of channels to surf...because the channels change even faster these days and there are more to choose from too.  I hope the band is smart enough to realize that ZOO TV has been outpaced by the new digital reality and that they're going to have to "out-ZOO" themselves to keep pace.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 05:01:47 PM by The MacFessor »