Author Topic: To all those who think Zoo TV is U2's best era/tour  (Read 30352 times)

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
Re: To all those who think Zoo TV is U2's best era/tour
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 05:55:58 AM »
they dropped arms for zooropa and satelite of love was cool. duet with video lou reed. spin the audience out.

hey U2. a tour can be really great without new songs but its the premiering of masses of new songs live and the crowd loving it that really marks a tour as a peak.

and gavin, they all went down the road, they just didnt crash along the way.

Offline Ridiculous Voices

• Wanderer
  • Uncertainty can be a Guiding Light.
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 06:01:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
well the songs should be being played better, most of them have been played for 10-20 years by now.

nothing like a big tour to go with 2 globally acclaimed albums, whole crowd cheering when every new song starts up as they've all heard them and like them but they've never heard them live before. only relying on oldies to break things up. thats what a real tour is all about.

so still zoo tv for me.

Fantastic critique on the differences between the two tours.......I couldn't agree more.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 07:48:07 AM »
Yeah, the differences are pretty stark in my mind.  Zoo TV and PopMart both were ABOUT something, they were commenting on the constant presence of television, and consumerism, respectively.  Add to that the fact that Zoo TV was truly an artistic about face for the band, that the new material was rapturously received, that it revitalized the band for at least another decade, that it completely changed how future concerts would be staged....I mean, heck, the band themselves have resorted to referencing their own 90's heyday in the Vertigo tour encores, and in the recent Zoo-TV themed Glastonbury and recent 360 shows.

The only thing I might concede is from a strictly musical standpoint--certainly the Elevation-era version of the Fly is possibly better than the Zoo TV version.  And of course, the technology today allows for much more elaborate effects--that can be said of any concert today.  Hell, Zoo TV was done with synchronized LASERDISC players.  Today you could probably run the exact same show off of a laptop.  But historically, and most importantly, ARTISTICLY....Zoo TV, hands down.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 08:19:03 AM »
To all those who think Zoo TV is U2's best era/tour...

We're right.

The Professor

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 11:37:49 AM »
When I mentioned that U2 were out of their minds I did mention both rock star decadence AND creative wildness.  I perhaps should have emphasized the latter over the former and spelled out the decadence angle a little better.  I don't have much knowledge of U2's partying ways beyond their obvious enjoyment of Guiness and beer and Adam's marijuana habit.  I don't picture anyone in the band getting really ugly and belligerent, though, only doing damage to themselves and never hotel rooms or others, as far as we know.  They're nice lads.  I swear, though, I remember reading an interview with the band about their time in Los Angeles recording Rattle And Hum in which Bono talked about the band driving high speed down the freeways one night tripping on LSD or mushrooms... 

Decadence doesn't only take the form of inebriation, though, it can also be the manifestations of various aspects of their creative wildness, i.e. the roles they played in interviews, playing with U2's identity, hamming up and embracing the rock star image for the first time in their career, hobnobbing with the jetset crowd and supermodels and even President Clinton.  They pretty much had carte blanche to do whatever they wanted to do and I'm pretty sure that they took advantage of this on a nightly basis.  It's also probably important to note that this was before Bono was made out to be the caricature of himself that he is often depicted as by those who don't think much of him.  During ZOO TV, he and the rest of the band were playing the role of devil's advocates and instigators and having fun with doing so.

This phase of U2's career is rich with probably the most interesting interviews with the band and articles about the band and ZOO TV.  I revisit these or try to find new ones online as well as YouTube clips, the sum total of which is a lot of evidence of "the grand madness" Bono refers to when he spoke of the ZOO TV era.  It really felt at the time like they were re-inventing rock and roll and their own roles as rock stars in the process.  It was the show that everybody HAD to go to, U2's metaphorical road version of Apocalypse Now.  If you can track down the 1992(?) Details Magazine interview with the band done by William Gibson, it's a great read, as is Uncut Magazine's special U2 edition's section on the Achtung Baby years. 

Here's some good clips:

U2 Drinking During Live Satellite Feed Of Billboard Awards

French Television Interview w/ Adam Looking Pretty Sharp

"ZOO Beer"

U2 Receives Award In Dressing Room

AND JUST FOR GREAT COVERAGE OF THE ZOO TV TOUR/ERA/& ACHTUNG BABY:

Doc. Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

ZOO TV Disc Bonus Material Doc Interview w/Edge & Eno

A 90 Minute Documentary & Analysis Of Achtung Baby (Little U2, But Interesting Commentary)

Offline Gavin Tuesday

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 11:53:23 AM »
Prof, I know what you meant. :) I was more just making a joke at Adam C's expense, not really counting how many pints the boys downed those years.  I wasn't there and privy to that information (unfortunately) :)  I know they've all had their share of, um, Guinness over the years.  Adam just seems the one who came closest to exhibiting typical Rock Stars behaving badly characteristics.  Luckily, I think the incident in Sydney pulled him back from the brink.

If I'm not mistaken, Flanagan describes some pretty heaving partying in his book (I think Larry injects himself w/bull's blood at some point), but it's so long since I read it I don't remember exactly.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:01:03 PM by Gavin Tuesday »

The Professor

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 12:13:43 PM »
"Gav, for a guy who's new to the forum you're coming on a bit strong."  (Exile)   ;)

Offline Gavin Tuesday

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 12:16:47 PM »
"Gav, for a guy who's new to the forum you're coming on a bit strong."  (Exile)   ;)

Live out loud.  At high volume. :)

Speaking of coming on a bit strong...the first link, the one w/the Phil Collins clip...not the band's finest hour in my opinion.  They kind of act like a**holes, and actually made me feel bad for poor Phil trying to play it straight.  Larry should be grateful he missed out on that one.

EDIT: I just watched the first four videos you posted Prof, and they come across like jerks in all of them.  Hardly the same guys.  Wow.  I'm glad they don't act like that anymore.  I was a fan back then, but either I didn't see that stuff or just viewed it through different eyes.  I know, I know, before anyone says anything, I know it was supped to be all "rock star" schtick, and I'm sure they thought they were being ironic at the time, but still, I think they'd be embarrassed to see some of that stuff now.

That interview w/Kurt Loder is a little interesting, however, and should be required viewing for those who thought 90's U2 didn't care about being commercial.  And it must be the first recorded time Bono said "If you don't know what it is, then it must be art".
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:29:21 PM by Gavin Tuesday »

Offline Northern Star

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 12:34:12 PM »
Professor - your first post was a brilliant write up of the difference between Zoo TV and 360, each has to be experienced in its own era to fully understand the relevance of the tours.  Zoo TV was mind blowing in its time, exciting, new technology, off the wall, the band were really taking big risks, shedding their "righteous" image, as they did with Achtung Baby and Zooropa.  For me it was their most creative period artistically.  I loved 360, but Zoo definitely topped it for me.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 01:24:13 PM »
At the time of ZooTV U2 were still young(ish) men in their early 30's, where as during 360 they are middle aged men, ergo, 360 can never be U2's best era/tour.

Offline HEY!youtwo!

• Child of Grace
  • They'll want their money back if youre alive at 33
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
At the time of ZooTV U2 were still young(ish) men in their early 30's, where as during 360 they are middle aged men, ergo, 360 can never be U2's best era/tour.

I have no clue how old you are, but you sound like every other american high schooler who discounts U2 automatically due to... their age

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were being a little sarcastic though  ;)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 06:45:23 PM »

I have no clue how old you are, but you sound like every other american high schooler who discounts U2 automatically due to... their age

Do I really sound like an American high schooler?

I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you were being a little sarcastic though  ;)

If there's one thing I abhor, it's sarcasm.

Offline HEY!youtwo!

• Child of Grace
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 06:49:09 PM »

yes you do sound like one there... I'm so sorry  :D

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 06:50:53 PM »

That's kinda cool.

Offline HEY!youtwo!

• Child of Grace
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2011, 06:54:48 PM »

That's kinda cool.

well I am one and myself and others are probably not as cool as you think, unless you are one, then you would know... How can you really tell on the internet how old someone is?  :D