Author Topic: To all those who think Zoo TV is U2's best era/tour  (Read 30070 times)

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
Re: To all those who think Zoo TV is U2's best era/tour
« Reply #150 on: August 01, 2011, 05:11:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Unless we're all gonna meet for pints to discuss U2 in person, personal information seems irrelevant, and besides, I'm not The Professor anymore, I'm...The MacFessor, in the spirit of this ZOO TV forum.  

Why don't you ask Exile where he's been exiled from or what breed SatelliteDog is?

except that you specifically said you were going on field trips with your class somewhere earlier in this thread. until that point i assumed your title was nothing but an invented name like everyone else's but then it seemed you actually could be a professor which made me curious. i thought i'd ask 'professor of what' but you're geriatric medicine answer seemed like it could be you being sarcastic so i thought i'd ask a follow up question to confirm and avoid assuming it (and if you werent i was genuinely interested what a geriatric medicine field trip would involve).

you're right it is irrelevant to the topic but it didnt seem like a big deal to ask. i feel like you have taken it as more probing (and negative) than i intended it to be so if you feel its all too personal then feel free to ignore the questions (although i am now curious about the reasons behind the change to macfessor if you feel like sharing).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 06:24:06 PM by soapit »

The Professor

« Reply #151 on: August 01, 2011, 07:47:56 PM »
No, no big deal, not probing or negative at all, just prefer to remain anonymous on the forums, though I hear there's some kind of @U2 gathering in Vegas in the not too distant future.  It would be kind of cool to party with SatelliteDog and Exile and even GavinTuesday, though he might have to meet us on the strip a little later than the rest of us cuz he'll be stuck in his room for a while working on his War Tour essay.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 07:52:00 PM by The MacFessor »

Offline soapit

• Precious Stone
« Reply #152 on: August 01, 2011, 07:51:37 PM »
No, no big deal, not probing or negative at all, just prefer to remain anonymous on the forums,

no problem... tho you know this just makes people even more curious.

The Professor

« Reply #153 on: August 01, 2011, 07:52:08 PM »
MacFessor = MacPhisto, yo!

Offline U2BROTHR

• Wanderer
« Reply #154 on: August 02, 2011, 07:25:49 PM »
I originally posted this in the "360 tour love-fest" thread.........and of course got lambasted for it!!

I could not be bothered creating a thread for it, but this is what I wrote:

I have to say that I am disappointed. Disappointed because that 360 gets so much love. U2 Have done SO much better than this in the past, and as this new, younger generation of fans 'spread the word' I fear that the U2 of epic greatness will be forgotten forever.

The raw energy of the first few tours - a REAL band making REAL music, performing out of their skins every night to gain notoriety.

War Tour - watch the Red Rocks concert.

The Unforgettable Fire Tour - taking experimental music on the road, making the jump from theaters to arenas - oh my, the passion in those shows (see the Dortmund boot)

The Joshua Tree Tour - the Paris show springs to mind - anyone who says that With Or Without You is sung better or with more passion by Bono on the 360 tour than it was on its original tour is in my mind completely insane!

LoveTown - about 7 different setlists, completely different, rotated night after night.

Zoo Tv - the BEST concert tour in in history (imho), the MOTHER of all re-inventions, and the MOST exciting time to be a U2 fan. Period. And, anyone who says that Ultravolet is sung better or with more passion by Bono on the 360 tour than it was on its original tour is in my mind completely insane!

PopMart - the USA just didn't get it, but the rest of the world most certainly did. Most definitely NOT the disaster Pop haters, and U2 themselves, make it out to be. Epic.

Elevation - an arena tour done perfectly - ok the material form the most recent album was not the best (imho) - but the intimacy and energy at the shows was amazing, and after 9/11, spiritually uplifting.

Vertigo - not quite as good as Elevation, but ok.

So, I would rank EVERY tour, except Vertigo, above 360. Zoo TV, being the absolute best!

Im sorry, I probably should not have posted this in this thread, but I just had to. 360 is not, and should not be remembered as U2 at their best live.

I really like this post.  Having seen Zoo TV and onwards, my only change would be that I thought Vertigo was very "rock and roll".  By the time Love and Peace hit, it seemed quite raw.  Sure they had those LED balls on a string, but to me, it was rather stripped down with them pulling songs like The Ocean, An Cat Dubh, Gloria, and other out their back pocked.  Watch Bono hit the drums, watch Larry play keys, watch Bono fumble around with a bandana on his eyes.  So Vertigo, not as epic as Zoo or 360, still gets some props in my eyes.

But the task at hand.  Zoo TV for me was the best for shock value and reinvention.  360 was the ultimate stadium tour.....with less "gimicks" and a lot of playing.

I hope I made some sense.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #155 on: August 02, 2011, 08:23:33 PM »
No, no big deal, not probing or negative at all, just prefer to remain anonymous on the forums, though I hear there's some kind of @U2 gathering in Vegas in the not too distant future.  It would be kind of cool to party with SatelliteDog and Exile and even GavinTuesday, though he might have to meet us on the strip a little later than the rest of us cuz he'll be stuck in his room for a while working on his War Tour essay.

Hey man, I probably live 1/2 an hour from you, so you name the place and I'll buy the first round. I'll buy for SatDog as well since he's Hungarian. And as far as where I've been exiled from, my stories will take too long to tell....

satellitedog01

« Reply #156 on: August 03, 2011, 06:42:02 AM »
:-) That would be fun, but I'll drink here in lovely old Budapest to all of your health! It would at least take two flights and over 13 hours plus airports to get to Cali.

Offline Gavin Tuesday

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #157 on: August 03, 2011, 06:46:37 AM »
:-) That would be fun, but I'll drink here in lovely old Budapest to all of your health! It would at least take two flights and over 13 hours plus airports to get to Cali.

Your'e in Budapest?  Very cool, I've been there many times for work (& play).  It's my favorite Eastern European city, and I actually prefer it to Prague.  Just magnificent.  What's the name of that rock/jazz bar, lots of bands play there, where both expats and hang out?  I've got a black t-shirt from there, but right now I can't remember what the place is called...pretty famous.  It's in the 5th dist. Maybe "Fat" is in the name.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 06:52:33 AM by Gavin Tuesday »

satellitedog01

« Reply #158 on: August 03, 2011, 07:54:51 AM »
Yeah well it could be Fat-Mo's Music Club/Pub?

I personally don't dig that vibe, I like the open air less tourist-trap feeling places like Szimpla, Kőleves, West Balkan, ChaChaCha etc...

Also there are
ZP Zöld Pardon (open air concert venue with loads of teenagers)
Gödör (more grown up, in the centre, good concerts, exhibitions)

Sadly it is now the time of animals more equal than others, and the right wing municipal management (and government) are closing down some of the modern left wing (what should young people be?) art based venues and collective spaces, evicting the artists from their studios and rehearsal places, both for the real estate, but mainly just to show they can do whatever they want, with arrogant glee... :-(

At the same time they are supporting the right and far right oriented "academy" of artists who are partially unknown, mostly old and retired and mainly unmarketable. They get 200 000 000 Forints (that's roughly 1,2 million dollars a year, plus a central representative palace as headquarters for free, when 1000$ is an average monthly wage for Hungarians)  and their abysmally tacky and kitsch work gets sent to interntional showcases. What they are doing is disgustingly obvious and shameful in most fields of life, and they just changed the constitution to serve their party in the coming years...

I'd really like to move abroad for a decade or five :-)

Offline OptimaX

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • ZOOPOP
« Reply #159 on: August 25, 2011, 04:47:01 PM »
I'm not sure this has been mentioned in this thread, but it is important to realise the following when you try to compare the ZOO TV with any other tour (with the exception of POPMART).

ZOO TV was the world's first traveling live-show by a famous band that used TV's for something else than enhancing what happens on stage. There was a concept.
360º TOUR is simply and old-fashioned rock-show with advanced technical features like a 350º degrees stage- and screen set-up. It was a visual spectacle not a conceptual.

But most importantly, Bono's characters on stage were the thing that changed everything. The Fly, Mirrorball man, Macphisto, his characters gave the show even more variety and they were all linked under the same ZOO TV theme; the overload of the media.

Therefore it is not just only U2's best era, but the ZOO TV tour has been one of the (maybe the most) revolutionary (Stadium) Tour by any artist!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 04:50:55 PM by OptimaX »

Offline Cam501

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #160 on: June 19, 2014, 09:54:43 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I completely agree with the conceptual tour reasoning for Zoo being better than 360.  Granted I never got to see Zoo TV live as I was just a very casual fan in 8th grade when inside broadcast came through my hometown (they didn't come back for outside broadcast unfortunately). I also missed popmart thanks to finals week as a freshman in college. I have seen 2 elevation shows, 2 vertigo shows and 1 360 show (before the back injury) though.  Having experienced the last 3 tours in person and having listened to some decent bootlegs from every tour since UF, (unfortunately I drove off with a CD case that had almost 200 CD's including about 25 U2 bootlegs on the roof of my car several years ago) I still put Zoo as one of the greatest tours from any rock band ever.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #161 on: June 19, 2014, 10:38:53 PM »
I saw both 360 and Zoo TV multiple times. Not even close. Zoo TV was the band in their prime. 360 was a good show but Zoo TV was an all time great show.

satellitedog01

« Reply #162 on: June 20, 2014, 02:37:33 AM »
Weird that this thread got 11 pages in comments instead of a clipped grunt of something not printable. :-D

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #163 on: June 20, 2014, 07:38:49 AM »
laughable, 360 cannot even hold a candle to Zoo Tv on every level. Delivery of songs, lacking intimacy, etc etc etc

Offline Runtmg

• Refugee
« Reply #164 on: June 20, 2014, 07:41:23 PM »
Okay, first things first.  A persons opinion this subject is generally a matter of opinion.  So, this is a great question that I will dig on.

How does one calculate which show is better?  Some would say that it is by attendance and receipts but I find that hard to be true because even at the time of Zoo tv the Rolling Stones were still massive draws on the road.  Many bands from the 70's could outdraw U2 in those days, for instance a Fleetwood Mac reunion was a huge draw a few years later.  If not in attendance, then certainly in average price per ticket.

Also, if you didn't see U2 live, there was no recourse except bootlegs.  No youtube nothing etc. So, we must own up to the fact that the way we evaluate and watch bands has changed, I am not sure if it is for the better. 

So, if we can not compare zootv and 360 in just pure numbers or experience, what then can we compare these two?

To that i look at the impact that it had on U2's career.  Namely, was U2 generally respected more, was there more enthusiasm for U2's brand after the tour.

To this Zoo tv wins hands down.  At the end of that tour, U2 were thought of as the Kings of Rock'n'Roll.  Yes, grunge was there but only because the boys were mid tour.  Artistically, they had pushed rock forward in an amazing way. They had reinvented themselves and had put out an album that we still talk about 20 years later.

NLOTH was not a bad album, in fact much of it is as creatively strong as AB.  The problem was two fold for NLOTH.  U2 was far too safe and corporate. Blackberry sponsorships, being criticized from the left for carbon admissions during the tour.  Bono's capitalism is the way.  Simply put, whatever craft or cred the band had was flushed.  Now they were the act you brought your kids to and bore them with stories of the Joshua Tree and Zoo tv. 

The graduation to a nostalgic act was punctuated by some surprises.  They played new songs, tried out material.  But as the tour came to a close, it was clear U2's best days were behind them.

Simply put, one tour left them ready to conquer the world, the next left them scrambling.