Author Topic: To all those who think Zoo TV is U2's best era/tour  (Read 30214 times)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: To all those who think Zoo TV is U2's best era/tour
« Reply #165 on: June 20, 2014, 10:26:39 PM »
Or how about we assess them on which we enjoyed more?

That's what I'll go with.

Tarahumara

« Reply #166 on: June 21, 2014, 12:46:08 PM »
From an artistic standpoint, ZOO TV was better! Here's why...
ZOO TV (indoor leg) featured 10 out of 12 songs from the new album.
It originally had NO songs pre-UF, so they only played songs from three previous albums.
From UF, you had Pride and Bad performed nicely, in original form.
But from JT, most of the songs were vastly rearranged for the moment
(Still Haven't Found, Bullet, and Running to Stand Still), while a few (With or Without You and Streets) remained
true to form.
From R and H; Desire was super different from the album version and When Love Comes to Town was performed acoustically
in what was, at the time, a novel concept (using the B-stage).
So...out of 20 or so songs, 50% were completely new, 25% were old songs with different arrangements, and 20% old material performed with passion. Then there were a few covers. But only 4 out of 20 songs were performed in a way that people had heard before.
To me, a true artist captures the moment and this is much more "capturing the moment" than 360.
To it's credit, 360 Rose Bowl, did feature a lot of newer songs (but not 50%) and quite a bit from the 2000's, but still not as much new material as ZOO TV did at the time. And that's coming off Rose Bowl, when they still played stuff from NLOTH.

And I'm not even comparing the quality of the songs, only the amount of new or newly arranged material. So on that count, ZOO TV wins. And as much as I liked ZOO, I'd prefer to see new to old any day. For example, I may have liked 360 better if they had done 10 songs from NLOTH, rearranged stuff from the two previous albums, and played only a handful of pre-2000's material. I just hate the idea of a band looking back. Play with passion and live in the moment!

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2014, 05:46:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Not to be all objective about it (gasp!), but how about we assess them by which one had Bono hitting the notes properly?

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2014, 05:59:38 PM »
Zoo tv/Zooropa was like a gorgeous, sexy woman at her hottest - but also clever, funny and interesting, and a bit dangerous.

360 was like an overweight, frumpy plain Jane - with a nice but boring personality.

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #169 on: June 21, 2014, 06:31:44 PM »
Zoo tv/Zooropa was like a gorgeous, sexy woman at her hottest - but also clever, funny and interesting, and a bit dangerous.

360 was like an overweight, frumpy plain Jane - with a nice but boring personality.

You didn't say which one you liked better.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2014, 07:37:51 PM »

Not to be all objective about it (gasp!), but how about we assess them by which one had Bono hitting the notes properly?

Cmon Ex, I could go watch opera for that...

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2014, 07:45:36 PM »

Cmon Ex, I could go watch opera for that...

Not saying hitting notes is enough, but it is necessary. For me anyway (with very rare exceptions).

Offline Muadib

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #172 on: June 27, 2014, 07:54:35 PM »
ZooTV forever

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #173 on: July 02, 2014, 02:18:08 AM »

Yeah, but she's got lots of good stories, some battle scars, and more than a few stretch marks. Lots of life lived in that frumpy plain Jane.

But just the fact that Bono pulled off the task of singing Dancing Queen, while making it sound cool, summarizes the "WOW" factor of Zoo TV. (Not to mention everything else that's already been said.)

I liked the 360 Tour because I got to share U2 with a bunch of nieces and nephews, and they had no idea what to expect.

Zoo TV will always be my favorite because I had no idea what to expect. Indoor leg was so completely different from anything they'd ever done up to that point. But the Outside Broadcast wasn't just big, it was that it had to be big. But in a way, it actually seemed more like a club with great music, great lights, and great videos. But through all that other stuff, everyone watched the DJ (the band), because that's where the real majic was happening.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:20:39 AM by Hawkmoon2e »