Author Topic: To all those who think Zoo TV is U2's best era/tour  (Read 30343 times)

Offline Gavin Tuesday

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: To all those who think Zoo TV is U2's best era/tour
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2011, 01:32:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I didn't attend a lovetown show.

I attended every other tour.

I think Zoo is better than Lovetown.

I think Lovetown is better than Vertigo or 270 360

Is that OK ?

Aw, it's OK to believe whatever you wish Neil.

Neil ?

Sorry...Geddy?

Oh. i get it it. Haha. Good one.

Worth a nomination

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Whew.  I thought I was going to have to go for the trifecta and call you Alex. :)

The Professor

« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2011, 01:36:11 PM »
Actually, we go on numerous field trips, and I'm glad you're not one of my students too.  But then, in the classroom, it's easier to steer conversations that stray from the initial topic when one or more individuals want to tangle about minute details unrelated to the topic at hand.  What we're doing here is "talking about talk" and talking about the tours, which is/was the intention of this thread.  

But if you want to "talk about talk" a little more, a question: since you didn't go to the War Tour, tell me your thoughts and opinions about it based on your reading and research and viewing of Blood Red Sky and/or other concert clips on YouTube.  Tell me: your basic general opinion of the tour; your perceptions of what it was like to be at a show during that tour; your opinion of how the tour ranks compared to U2's other tours; your ideas about the significance of the tour in relation to U2's career trajectory; your ideas about the possible themes and ideas explored during the tour's live shows.

Since we both probably know a lot about most of those things, the only area you'll be lacking is your personal experience of the tour.  I saw the War Tour show in Los Angeles.  After I read your essay I'll tell you if I think your opinions and conclusions are accurate appraisals and will let you know if I think your lack of personal experience of the tour lead you to less valid, less than valid, however you want to phrase it...opinions.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2011, 01:37:13 PM »
I didn't attend a lovetown show.

I attended every other tour.

I think Zoo is better than Lovetown.

I think Lovetown is better than Vertigo or 270 360

Is that OK ?

Aw, it's OK to believe whatever you wish Neil.

Neil ?

Sorry...Geddy?

Oh. i get it it. Haha. Good one.

Worth a nomination

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Whew.  I thought I was going to have to go for the trifecta and call you Alex. :)

Do you do this in every thread ?

The Professor

« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2011, 01:37:47 PM »
And after that, we will BOTH zip it.   8)

The Professor

« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2011, 01:40:51 PM »
Did you REALLY have to mention Return Of The Jedi in your earlier post, Alex?

THE worst Star Wars movie in the original trilogy. 

satellitedog01

« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2011, 01:43:14 PM »
I hope Gavin uses the PM format for his answer as this will surely kill the thread.

Anyway, I say Zoo Tv would blow the heads of the new kids -who think 360 is the bee's knees- clean off.

It's not a fair contest of course, but Zoo TV's only worthy opponents would likely be the better shows off the War tour the TJT tour and Lovetown. The rest might come close, but not quite.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2011, 01:51:59 PM »
Again, the MAIN reason why I know for a fact that I would have preferred 360 over Zoo TV is because of the theme of Zoo TV and the characters Bono portrayed on stage.  Nothing to do really with the music or the stage, just the whole ironic, satire filled theme with Bono portraying outlandish characters

The Professor

« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2011, 01:53:52 PM »
I looked up the show I went to on The Unforgettable Fire Tour...they only played 15 songs.  My memory of it was that the show was great but that the majority of people sitting in the section around me and my brother seemed lethargic and just sat there...not what we were expecting after the chaos of the War Tour show we saw at the Los Angeles Sports Arena.  I guess TUF and the tour represented as big a leap for U2 and its fans as the leap from TJT to Achtung Baby in some ways.  

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #83 on: July 30, 2011, 01:55:22 PM »
Did you REALLY have to mention Return Of The Jedi in your earlier post, Alex?

THE worst Star Wars movie in the original trilogy. 

Did you get the point i was making or not ?

The Professor

« Reply #84 on: July 30, 2011, 02:01:59 PM »
Well, OAP, Bono only really played a character in an over the top way when he was MacPhisto.  The Fly character seemed to be more of just a costume and a particular way of posing as a rock star.  I don't know if MacPhisto ever appeared on U.S. soil but at the two shows I saw, 1st leg and 3rd leg/Outdoor Broadcast, the music was given center stage even with all the screens and technology.  Oh yeah, there was also the weird "policeman" guy in the vest and hat character...does he have a name?  I never understood that part and haven't ever looked into it.  But even in that costume or character, there wasn't anything that took away from the songs...especially with that costume change coming for Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still/Hallelujah, Where The Streets Have No Name sequence.  

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #85 on: July 30, 2011, 02:04:20 PM »

Anyway, I say Zoo Tv would blow the heads of the new kids -who think 360 is the bee's knees- clean off.

It's not a fair contest of course, but Zoo TV's only worthy opponents would likely be the better shows off the War tour the TJT tour and Lovetown. The rest might come close, but not quite.

Again, you really can't rule out how much individual experiences and taste will always alter something like this. As I noted earlier in the thread, my dad enjoyed ZooTV, but certainly didn't place it in his top tier of U2 shows- when I asked him to rank them, he put Zoo TV Dublin (The broadcast night) below any of the 80s tours, PopMart Belfast and 360 Torino- hence despite having been brought up on U2, I never even knew that it was meant to be particularly good until I really sought out the Sydney DVD etc for myself. And I don't think someone who saw them in Dandelion Market in Dublin in 1979 can really be considered a 'new kid'. And I do really hate the implicit assertion by lots of people that if you don't agree with thei particular opinion, it's because you're too young, or else you're simply wrong.

I say that as someone who does think Zoo TV is probably their best tour and era

The Professor

« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2011, 02:05:28 PM »
Of course I got your point, JT, it was a good one and made very clearly.  You just touched on a childhood nerve that is still raw and traumatized by George Lucas' decision to move in the direction of "cute" after the cool, dark vibe of Empire Strikes Back.  Plus, I was basically pi**ed off from the start when in the first reel when they killed off Boba Fett so early in the film.  I thought for sure he was going to play an essential role in the story.  Throwing in the Ewoks, the "Darth Vader's actually a nice guy" revelation, and fireworks at the end was just rubbing salt in an open wound.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2011, 02:11:33 PM »
Of course I got your point, JT, it was a good one and made very clearly.  You just touched on a childhood nerve that is still raw and traumatized by George Lucas' decision to move in the direction of "cute" after the cool, dark vibe of Empire Strikes Back.  Plus, I was basically pi**ed off from the start when in the first reel when they killed off Boba Fett so early in the film.  I thought for sure he was going to play an essential role in the story.  Throwing in the Ewoks, the "Darth Vader's actually a nice guy" revelation, and fireworks at the end was just rubbing salt in an open wound.

Even more traumatic than Ewan macgregor and hayden christensen ?

satellitedog01

« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2011, 02:24:24 PM »
You bring up your dad again TUC... He belongs in another group of archetypal U2 fan.

I get your point, but it's pretty easy to differentiate between the quality of an intense (of course knowingly designed) high-octane rock'n'roll show with the matinee feel good playtime U2 that got up on 360 stages.

I was too young for ZooTv and had no connections to see Popmart, but 360 (the first four legs at least) never lived up to even the modest excitement of the best of rock U2 Vertigo, and even less to the lovely and intense Elevation. It did nothing to distinguish itself until they started bringing on more surprises. I never bought into the Claw hype, most likely because of how little they utilized it as a possibly symbolic design, never made much of the cathedral of sound idea... Had they merged their music and the stage  better, with some cohesive deeper content, I'd very likely would've gone to see the tour. It didn't happen.

satellitedog01

« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2011, 02:25:25 PM »
Ewan McGregor was one of the very few redeeming qualities of the prequels.