Author Topic: Predict the next tour now (From a spectacularly uninformed position)  (Read 10152 times)

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
...Because we're gonna need something to talk about in the next few years!  :D

So, not what you want to happen, but what you think will happen on the next tour, less than a week from the last one, with no knowledge of the new album, or the tour format. :P Any songs you think will return? Representation of No Line? Think Pop will be back?

For myself, I think Bullet the Blue Sky will definitely be back as per normal, and THe Fly will be there after sitting 90% of the 360 Tour out. From NLOTH, I think we'll start wih Boots and Magnificent, but Moment of Surrender and the Crazy album mix are possibilities as the tour goes on.

Anyone else want to add their also-probably-wholly-inaccurate speculation?

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
Re: Predict the next tour now (From a spectacularly uninformed position)
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 09:01:18 AM »
 :D :D

-I think we'll have a mix of stadiums and arenas a la the Vertigo Tour
-I think we see No Line on the Horizon, Magnificent, Crazy Tonight (album version), Moment of Surrender will become staples, with Get On Your Boots, possibly Unknown Caller, and an un-played NLOTH song being played rotationally throughout the tour
-I think we see up to two Pop songs being played, with those being Gone and Please
-I think we see AT LEAST three HTDAAB songs played, with those being COBL, Vertigo, and either Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Yahweh, and/or Miracle Drug
-I think Bullet The Blue Sky stays dead
-I think North Star and Every Breaking Wave are played full band

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 10:00:29 AM »
Here's what I think will happen...

- There will definitely not be another full stadium tour, unless the next album suddenly explodes worldwide.

- Pop will make a re-appearance, and no that is not just because I'd love it. Bono already mentioned more than once about it, and it seems more likely than ever for some of its songs to re-appear, given that only Discotheque has made an appearance the last 2 tours (and only twice it has).

- It will be a more arena based tour, and maybe a mixture of the technology of 360 and Elevation. Or it could be something brand new we haven't seen yet.

- More variation on warhorse songs. Pride, WOWY, Mysterious Ways, UTEOTW, ISHFWLF, and SBS will appear less often, and or be switched around with one another.
- Speaking of Warhorses, Bullet will return, and NYD will probably be played a lot more often.

- ATYCLB will be played much less, with BD probably being the only constant song.

- In place of ATYCLB, HTDAAB will see more representation. Sometimes, Love and Peace or Else, OOTS, etc could reappear.

-Magnificent and Crazy Tonight will stay in the set. I'm not sure if Boots will be there full time, I'm going to guess 50/50 on that.

-

Offline homerj281

• Stateless
  • We fight, all the time... we're the same soul.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 11:01:55 PM »
I said this on another thread, but I don't care what they play, as long as it is NOT a "farewell tour."

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 11:09:06 PM »
Farewell schmawell.  ;D I'm sure the next time they tour will be in support of a new album, so we have nothing to worry about. All that talk about being relevant and making music that is exciting to them will pay off!

I'm convinced Crazy Tonight (remix) is a Claw/360-specific song, but darnit, Boots could really be added to their staples *smacks head*

So we could realistically have Vertigo, Elevation, Boots, UTEOTW, SBS, Beautiful Day (am I missing other staples?) each for sure hogging a spot on the nightly setlist. Less wiggle-room for gems and surprises.

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 11:57:56 PM »
The new album will be U2's best ever. We'll know this because Bono says it is true. You'll be able to confirm this because Bono mentions this in all 374 interviews that you read, hear and watch.

Henry Rollins will hate the new album. Springsteen will love it.

The band will start the tour under-rehearsed.

There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth at the set list and the chosen venues.

There will be 1,721,683 threads here asking for, or presenting, alternative set lists and wondering why certain songs were included/excluded. Every single one of them will be vitally important to understanding just how the fans are feeling. I expect everyone here to read them all. There will be a test.

The band will skip Antarctica ... again.

There will be a call for the band to play multiple festivals. It won't happen.

After having stated that U2 is best built to play arenas then stating only stadiums can show the band at its best, Paul McGuine$$ will state that arenas are meant for U2 when the tour is announced as an arena tour.

U2.com will continue to leave users wanting more and the band will continue to wish that this site was their official web page.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 04:56:11 AM »
i'll stick my neck on the line and say that moment of surrender will definitely not be played again anytime soon. it will have the same shelf-life and purpose as love is blindness ie: a one tour only song. crazy tonight will never see the light of day again (the remix version anyway). it has served it's purpose for this tour as it was designed to get a stadium rocking.

boots will get fired (regretfully). the only one i can see being played again is magnificent, but even that's doubtful. maybe the song nloth will appear again in an arena, it would definitely fit better in that environment, but i think the nloth tracks will never see the light of day again. that's my hunch.

there will be slightly less atyclb and a bit more htdaab, with a couple from POP appearing again. hopefully they'll play a lot from any new album and keep them in the set, along with rarely played others like so cruel, when i look at the world, heartland, dirty day, in god's country and, of course, acrobat  ;D.

Offline HEY!youtwo!

• Child of Grace
  • They'll want their money back if youre alive at 33
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 06:49:24 AM »
I think that all of the passengers songs we heard this tour will disappear unfortunately, baring a Corpse snippet in the resurrected Wake Up Dead Man

I think that the tour will be short, the band passing through each continent just once

I don't think that any of the unreleased songs we heard this tour will be played (mercy, north star, every breaking wave, etc)

I think we will see a full band version of every acoustic song we heard this tour, the acoustics will be songs from the newest album

Offline Farisfan (polished stones)

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you see here… a body in a soul
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 10:40:32 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The new album will be U2's best ever. We'll know this because Bono says it is true. You'll be able to confirm this because Bono mentions this in all 374 interviews that you read, hear and watch.

Henry Rollins will hate the new album. Springsteen will love it.

The band will start the tour under-rehearsed.

There will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth at the set list and the chosen venues.

There will be 1,721,683 threads here asking for, or presenting, alternative set lists and wondering why certain songs were included/excluded. Every single one of them will be vitally important to understanding just how the fans are feeling. I expect everyone here to read them all. There will be a test.

The band will skip Antarctica ... again.

There will be a call for the band to play multiple festivals. It won't happen.

After having stated that U2 is best built to play arenas then stating only stadiums can show the band at its best, Paul McGuine$$ will state that arenas are meant for U2 when the tour is announced as an arena tour.

U2.com will continue to leave users wanting more and the band will continue to wish that this site was their official web page.

:D :D :D

I agree w/ Middy-- I think we'll see the return of Pop in the next tour (in addition to whatever new album they are showcasing).

I expect it will be in arenas and will feature some of the more rare songs (non-radio hits) from various albums-- according to what Bono said.   :D

And I am thinking we'll see some NLOTH songs but maybe ones that were not seen on this tour-- like Fez-Born, WaS, SUC.  ;D

Offline birdlover

• Child of Grace
  • It's not how weak but what will make you strong
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
I predict I will travel to at least three cities to see their next tour.

I will be in GA and have a lot of fun, without waiting for hours on line.

It won't matter to me what they play, they always do their best!

And I WILL meet Bono at one of the shows! ;D

Offline mattressjedi

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 01:52:18 PM »
Mix of arenas and stadiums on the same leg.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 02:14:31 PM »
I reckon they will play some U2 choons...  ;D

Offline AchtungPiano

• Elevated
  • I'm too lazy to change this photo
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 02:25:05 PM »
here's what will happen:

>The new album will be a huge comeback (as they have one at the start of every decade  ::)), and will have multiple hits, including the #1 smash "Sexy Time" featuring Nicki Minaj. She will appear on tour.

>It will be the largest stage ever constructed (again), and will have many large, neon, glow in the dark dinosaurs.

>Larry will break his arm, but nobody cares, and they get Zak Starkey to fill in.

>Pop and October will both make long-due comebacks.

>There will be 1 song from Horizon: Magnificent.

>The closer will be either from the new album, or it will be 40.

>They'll cover Coldplay.

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 02:28:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
here's what will happen:

>The new album will be a huge comeback (as they have one at the start of every decade  ::)), and will have multiple hits, including the #1 smash "Sexy Time" featuring Nicki Minaj. She will appear on tour.

Ew.

>It will be the largest stage ever constructed (again), and will have many large, neon, glow in the dark dinosaurs.

I'd actually love the dinosaurs.

>Larry will break his arm, but nobody cares, and they get Zak Starkey to fill in.

NEVER.

>Pop and October will both make long-due comebacks.

Yes please!

>There will be 1 song from Horizon: Magnificent.

I'd be all right with that, though I want more.

>The closer will be either from the new album, or it will be 40.

That would be perfect.

>They'll cover Coldplay.

At least in a snippet. :P

Offline Lebowski

• Refugee
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 03:04:10 PM »
I think anyone hoping for more than one or two songs surviving from NLOTH will be sorely disappointed.  The album didn't do as well as they hoped, after trying to force feed some of the songs to audiences on much of the 360 tour, they finally got it down to three songs a night (at most shows) on the last leg.  Moment of Surrender will survive if they can find at a good spot flow-wise for it in the next tour's set list, and maybe Magnificent or Get On Your Boots will survive, but everything else?  Nope.  The remixed Crazy Nights was made for stadiums, and I doubt Unknown Caller or the title track will be deemed worthy enough to bring back after neither making it to the last leg of 360. 

I mean, Dismantle... was a much more popular album, yet only two songs from it were played on the following album's tour, so I doubt a less popular and less heralded album will somehow do better, especially when another new album will put more new songs in the set list.  If we can assume that 23-25 songs is the norm again next tour, if 5-6 new songs get played (at least at the start), that means the previous 12 albums and whatnot have to cover the other 18-20 songs.  No way does NLOTH get more than 2 songs per night on a regular basis.