Author Topic: Proposal to End GA Line Drama  (Read 4589 times)

Offline Ricco

• Stateless
  • I was the bad guy who walked out...
Re: Proposal to End GA Line Drama
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 07:09:08 AM »
Yep San Jose was okay Evil Bono, but it still had GA line drama.  I awoke and left my house at 5am, drove the three hours to San Jose, pulled up to the HP Pavillion at 8:15a.m.  I had no idea about what they were doing, it was my intention to sit in line all day.  I saw a line, ran and got into it and then got the hand stamp thing and was told to come back and line up at what 5pm in the order of your hand stamp, that was all cool, We hung out in the parking lot and drank some brews, ate lunch, watched the homeless people urinate in the park across the street, LOL.  The line up was still a bit of a clustereff, because you had the GA line and then you had the Fanclub GA line.  And the computer scanning B.S. which I was not for since I had a low number and had been there all day.  Anyway, I like the first come first serve process, because you know way ahead of time when the concert is, make plans, get babysitters, schedule your vacation or holiday and make it happen.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 04:54:24 PM »
Yeah I didn't know they where going to stamp our hands either. We showed up around 11am and noticed hardly anyone was there and I think there was a sign telling you that you needed your hand stamped, I really don't remember.  Me and my friend where actually happy we didn't have to wait all day.  We sat in the back of the arena under some concrete stairs and sat there wondering why we didn't bring any beer so we walked down the street and ended up at some irish pub.

Offline Ricco

• Stateless
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 07:01:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah I didn't know they where going to stamp our hands either. We showed up around 11am and noticed hardly anyone was there and I think there was a sign telling you that you needed your hand stamped, I really don't remember.  Me and my friend where actually happy we didn't have to wait all day.  We sat in the back of the arena under some concrete stairs and sat there wondering why we didn't bring any beer so we walked down the street and ended up at some irish pub.

If you would have found me in the parking lot, we had plenty of Subway sandwiches, snacks and plenty of Pale Ale, and later my true liberal Bay Area U2 friend showed up with the herb.  Were you hanging out in the back when U2 showed up?  That was kinda fun, even if they didn't bother to get out of those black SUV's.

Sydney_Mike

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 03:57:24 AM »
Don't we all just accept that GA means "first come, best dressed"?

Myself and 7 others queued from midday for the first Vertigo show in Sydney and made it into the ellipse near the B-stage with 5 rows of people in front. For the third show, my daughter and I couldn't get there until about 3pm and, judging by the length of the queue, we were resigned to not making it into the ellipse. Thankfully, we made it centre stage and only 10 'rows' back. With ZooTV, I was way back in the GA crowd and don't think it's right to push forward past everyone else.

I accept that GA means "get there early" but I think that putting any other system in place means it's not "general" admission.

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 02:27:55 PM »
Nice plan but I can't agree. Those who get in line first should be let in first. Nothing is more fair than that to me.

All seated, everyone has an assigned spot, THAT is fairer !

HELL NO!!!

All seated?  U2 isnt a lame polite sitdown affair like Coldplay (which was literally this when I went) or the isolated melancholy wa**er sitdow-and-enjoy-this-in-complete-silence-no-one-bother-me-reverance BS of Radiohead's shows  (which was EXACTLY this)

U2 should NEVER go to assigned seats on the floor or get rid of GA.  Their concerts are more NOT sitdown affairs, they are far more energetic, exuberant, and cathartic

unlike Coldplay and radiohead U2 moves me cerebrally as well as emotionally, politically, and physically... Radiohead just does cerebral w some emotion.  Coldplay leaves me pretty nice and ... cold

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 03:54:31 PM »
Nice plan but I can't agree. Those who get in line first should be let in first. Nothing is more fair than that to me.

HELL NO!!!

All seated?  U2 isnt a lame polite sitdown affair like Coldplay (which was literally this when I went) or the isolated melancholy wa**er sitdow-and-enjoy-this-in-complete-silence-no-one-bother-me-reverance BS of Radiohead's shows  (which was EXACTLY this)

U2 should NEVER go to assigned seats on the floor or get rid of GA.  Their concerts are more NOT sitdown affairs, they are far more energetic, exuberant, and cathartic

unlike Coldplay and radiohead U2 moves me cerebrally as well as emotionally, politically, and physically... Radiohead just does cerebral w some emotion.  Coldplay leaves me pretty nice and ... cold

this just in - you're not actually obligated to sit down even if there are seats, and at u2 people don't.

It's just a method to ensure fairness, no matter what time you get there

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 10:27:33 PM »

HELL NO!!!

this just in - you're not actually obligated to sit down even if there are seats, and at u2 people don't.

Hahaha true...  However, seating on the GA floor impedes/restricts movement, there is no question of that.  Lack of seats also means there is less opportunity for a lethargic crowd.  This is especially true in a city like LA where crwods tend to be aloof and too cool to be bothered with standing, moving, dancing and actually showing emotion.  Every little factor makes a difference

Offline Ricco

• Stateless
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 09:43:25 PM »

HELL NO!!!

Screw fairness.

Get there early!!

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 10:06:33 PM »

HELL NO!!!

Hahaha true...  However, seating on the GA floor impedes/restricts movement, there is no question of that.  Lack of seats also means there is less opportunity for a lethargic crowd.  This is especially true in a city like LA where crwods tend to be aloof and too cool to be bothered with standing, moving, dancing and actually showing emotion.  Every little factor makes a difference

As a Socal resident, let me be the first to say that an LA crowd will always be lame-assed no matter WHO is playing, and whether there are seats or not

Offline mbeano

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 12:50:23 AM »

As a Socal resident, let me be the first to say that an LA crowd will always be lame-assed no matter WHO is playing, and whether there are seats or not

Im originally from LA as well. Comparatively LA crowds are lame.  However, as stated, lack of seating in GA makes a difference.  It removes one less possibility of lameness... enough of that though

But at least you get way more bands coming to LA.  I miss that about LA.  Most bands I want to see tend to skip Vegas.  Not sure why, they go to cities both bigger and smaller.  There seems to be enough venues and variety in size of venues here.

Offline Evil Bono

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 09:41:26 PM »

If you would have found me in the parking lot, we had plenty of Subway sandwiches, snacks and plenty of Pale Ale, and later my true liberal Bay Area U2 friend showed up with the herb.  Were you hanging out in the back when U2 showed up?  That was kinda fun, even if they didn't bother to get out of those black SUV's.

No we where too busy talking to these girls that where getting buzzed on Jack :)

Offline lunde

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 06:37:15 AM »
I see where you're coming from. It's an interesting idea, but I don't think it would be fair to the people who "randomly" get called last. I think the good old fashioned first-come-first-serve system is the fairest way; then those who really care about being in the front get there first to be in the front, and those who don't can come later.

Well, I agree that first-come first-served is the way to go, well, almost. For many people it's not "care" about getting there early but "can't" get there early. Whether it's jobs, child care, etc. The first come first served favors the students, those with no commitments and the unemployed.

Maybe do some of each, say 60 % of the GA is first come first served, and the rest is a lottery. i dunno, there's no ideal solution and someone will always be upset no matter what system is used.

I never understood this "I can't get there early" stuff. The concerts are announced long time in advance. If you have children in daycare you probably need a babysitter anyways. Of course sometimes it isn't possible to get a day off or leave early, but that can’t be true for the vast majority.

People just don't want to spent time in line.

Offline bonogrl from Boston

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I had the feeling it was out of control
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 08:17:40 AM »
I see where you're coming from. It's an interesting idea, but I don't think it would be fair to the people who "randomly" get called last. I think the good old fashioned first-come-first-serve system is the fairest way; then those who really care about being in the front get there first to be in the front, and those who don't can come later.

Well, I agree that first-come first-served is the way to go, well, almost. For many people it's not "care" about getting there early but "can't" get there early. Whether it's jobs, child care, etc. The first come first served favors the students, those with no commitments and the unemployed.

Maybe do some of each, say 60 % of the GA is first come first served, and the rest is a lottery. i dunno, there's no ideal solution and someone will always be upset no matter what system is used.

I never understood this "I can't get there early" stuff. The concerts are announced long time in advance. If you have children in daycare you probably need a babysitter anyways. Of course sometimes it isn't possible to get a day off or leave early, but that can’t be true for the vast majority.

People just don't want to spent time in line.

Well sometimes it is just a reality that people can't get there early.  For Vertigo I was able to score GA tickets for the very first time.  I was seeing them in Hartford CT but I live near Boston and I went with my sister and her friends who live in Maine.  We were carpooling, of course, and my sister had just started a new job and could not leave work early or take the day off.  Her friend was in college at the time and was able to skip one of the classes but had an exam in one class so she could not skip school for the whole day.  My sisters friends and I left the Boston area for CT around 3 and it takes a couple of hours to get to Hartford so we were there around 5 but my sister was unable to meet us there until they had already opened the doors.  Unfortunately I had her ticket so I had to wait outside for her.  I am glad they had the random ticket scan to get into the Elipse because it gave me at least a shot of getting in.  Of course I didn't, but at least I was close to the outer edge of the Elipse and at least I had the possibility of getting in.  I had an awesome time, but I don't think it is fair to assume that if you are a real fan you will do anything you can to ensure you are in line all day.  Sometimes it is just not possible.  This time though, I will stand in line by myself if I have to and anybody else going with me can find their own way.....(assuming I can score GA tickets  ;) )