Author Topic: Zooropa in its own box?  (Read 6187 times)

satellitedog01

Re: Zooropa in its own box?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 07:17:55 PM »
"S*at in a box!!!..."

So it was you, you golden keyboarded youth to thump out such humbling thoughts, not some stylish impersonator.

Cool!

zootv

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 07:37:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"S*at in a box!!!..."

So it was you, you golden keyboarded youth to thump out such humbling thoughts, not some stylish impersonator.

Cool!

Yes!!!!! It was me and me alone!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

zootv

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 07:39:22 PM »
"S*at in a box!!!..."

Cool!

What exactly is a "golden keyboarded Youth?"    ;D

satellitedog01

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 02:14:04 AM »
Someone who can admit their own fallibility like you did, regardless of age.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 11:05:28 AM »
I doubt there is too much in the vaults from Zooropa.  From what I remember, its status as a full-length album was almost a last-minute decision, as it had originally been intended as an EP.  That said, regardless of how U2 views it, I think it really has its own identity, much like Rattle and Hum did.  Yes, it was created during the Zoo TV Tour, but it doesn't really sound enough like AB to say that it's its "younger sibling" or anything.  It's more futuristic, less rock, more "arty".  So yeah, I think they're doing it a disservice by including it in the AB set.  They could easily throw in the abandoned demos from Wake Up Dead Man, HMTMKMKM, and IGWSHA, on top of the released b-sides and remixes.  It doesn't seem like that will be, though.  I fear that U2's perception of it is based on the fact that they went into the studio specifically to CREATE AB's "younger sibling", and not the specific artistic achievement that it turned out to be.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 02:23:51 PM »
I doubt there is too much in the vaults from Zooropa.  From what I remember, its status as a full-length album was almost a last-minute decision, as it had originally been intended as an EP.  That said, regardless of how U2 views it, I think it really has its own identity, much like Rattle and Hum did.  Yes, it was created during the Zoo TV Tour, but it doesn't really sound enough like AB to say that it's its "younger sibling" or anything.  It's more futuristic, less rock, more "arty".  So yeah, I think they're doing it a disservice by including it in the AB set.  They could easily throw in the abandoned demos from Wake Up Dead Man, HMTMKMKM, and IGWSHA, on top of the released b-sides and remixes.  It doesn't seem like that will be, though.  I fear that U2's perception of it is based on the fact that they went into the studio specifically to CREATE AB's "younger sibling", and not the specific artistic achievement that it turned out to be.

Fair enough, but i say they could include Bono's Wanderer demo, maybe Bono's vocals on Goldeneye <yes i have the mp3>, and the Pop demos. Miami66 has a thread of all the songs from that era that were unreleased.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2011, 02:48:37 PM »

Fair enough, but i say they could include Bono's Wanderer demo, maybe Bono's vocals on Goldeneye <yes i have the mp3>, and the Pop demos. Miami66 has a thread of all the songs from that era that were unreleased.

Oh, I'm with you.  Even if there's not a HUGE amount of material, I think they could cobble enough together for a 2-disc set easily.  All of what you mentioned could easily be added to fill it out.  My argument is with U2 and how they seem to view the album.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2011, 03:05:58 PM »
I just wonder where this leaves Pop? Are they done with the DE's? I mean......theyve always wanted to <at least Larry> redo Pop, maybe they will? Do like Pearl Jam's Ten DE and Disc 1 original album Disc 2 new Pop Disc 3 b-sides/remixes Disc 4 Mexico DVD

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 03:17:56 PM »
I just wonder where this leaves Pop? Are they done with the DE's? I mean......theyve always wanted to <at least Larry> redo Pop, maybe they will? Do like Pearl Jam's Ten DE and Disc 1 original album Disc 2 new Pop Disc 3 b-sides/remixes Disc 4 Mexico DVD

Pop's another interesting case--another album that U2 seems to consider none-too-highly, and which maybe isn't old enough to be be "classic", and thus warranting a deluxe package.  Plus, for all their previous talk of wanting to "re-mix" the album, they're already sort of had a COUPLE of shots at that: first with the singles, where we saw different mixes of nearly all of those songs, and then with 90-00, where they issued new versions.  At this point, it's hard to tell what they view as "canon", and which versions don't live up (in their minds).  They certainly could put a package together, which could either offer new material, or simply put everything that's out there in one handy box--but I'm not sure they'd consider doing that if they don't think the album is that good/would sell that much to begin with.  Time will tell, I guess.

Offline Georges

• Wanderer
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 03:22:05 PM »

Oh, I'm with you.  Even if there's not a HUGE amount of material, I think they could cobble enough together for a 2-disc set easily.  All of what you mentioned could easily be added to fill it out.  My argument is with U2 and how they seem to view the album.

I won't settle for anything less than a giant box. They could release a double CD but I won't buy it, nor I think I'd care for Zooropa rarities. It's Far Away so Close, and indeed the general concept of the album that appeal to me, as well as personal experiences at the time of the album's release.

zootv

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 04:50:51 PM »

Disc 1 : Zooropa Remastered
Disc 2 : Demos, rarities, live performances of zooropa songs
Disc 3 : DVD/Bluray; Zooropa or Zoomerang Show (not sydney), CD rom, Extras
Package it like Joshua Tree or Unforgetable Fire Super Deluxe Editions

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 04:58:38 AM »
I very much doubt Zooropa will be re-released. Rattle and Hum wasn't, so it seems they are fine in skipping the odd album.

Rattle and Hum will be remastered in 2013 for the 25th anniversary release.

Cheers,

J

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 05:01:02 AM »

Disc 1 : Zooropa Remastered
Disc 2 : Demos, rarities, live performances of zooropa songs
Disc 3 : DVD/Bluray; Zooropa or Zoomerang Show (not sydney), CD rom, Extras
Package it like Joshua Tree or Unforgetable Fire Super Deluxe Editions

No chance for a show that is not Sydney.  The expenses involved in producing something out of old footage that has not been worked on before are prohibitive and will take up too much studio time.  U2 will only release previously released stuff except for the oddball song.

So we already have Sydney and we won't get another show.  Rather than get an old unreleased show, I'd say we have a better chance of getting U23D in DVD before those things.

Cheers,

J

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 05:17:41 AM »
I very much doubt Zooropa will be re-released. Rattle and Hum wasn't, so it seems they are fine in skipping the odd album.

oh ok thanks for the insider info

Offline Georges

• Wanderer
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 09:09:21 AM »

Cheers,

J

So by this logic I will have to wait until 2018, Zooropa's 25th Anniversary, to get a remaster and / or  a proper box set? I'll probably be too old by then! (or dead)   ;D