Author Topic: Will the deluxe editions be worth it?  (Read 1231 times)

Offline smalin186

• Refugee
Will the deluxe editions be worth it?
« on: February 10, 2009, 08:34:30 PM »
I've found that in the past, the "extras" that are thrown in with these deluxe editions tend to be kinda lame. The bonus discs on the concert DVD's, the free book and DVD that came with my HTDAAB, etc. So I'm wondering, should I really pay 30 bucks for the Digi-pack version (CD/Poster/Download). I mean really? 20 extra dollars for the poster and the download? Anybody else feel that the extras kinda suck in U2's case? Also, does anyone know what the poster will look like? Maybe that will sway me  ;D Gracias.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
Re: Will the deluxe editions be worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 08:35:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've found that in the past, the "extras" that are thrown in with these deluxe editions tend to be kinda lame. The bonus discs on the concert DVD's, the free book and DVD that came with my HTDAAB, etc. So I'm wondering, should I really pay 30 bucks for the Digi-pack version (CD/Poster/Download). I mean really? 20 extra dollars for the poster and the download? Anybody else feel that the extras kinda suck in U2's case? Also, does anyone know what the poster will look like? Maybe that will sway me  ;D Gracias.

I think you already answered your own question 

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 11:01:03 PM »
I normally would agree. I thought the DVD with HTDAAB sucked. But, Anton Corbijn did the video for the NLOTH package. So, perhaps that will be different and better. He's a great photographer and I thought his recent movie about Joy Division, called Control was very good. Depressing..but good.

Offline vittau

• Refugee
  • A complete stranger into your home
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 11:47:20 PM »
I already bought the Digipak, but I'm really curious about the poster. Hope it's cool and not too small. :P
The video will probably be interesting and all, but I bought it for the poster...

Offline U2#1-War

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 12:26:20 AM »
I bought the pack that cost 70 bucks, i like hard copies rather than Ditial sh**e

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 02:08:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I normally would agree. I thought the DVD with HTDAAB sucked. But, Anton Corbijn did the video for the NLOTH package. So, perhaps that will be different and better. He's a great photographer and I thought his recent movie about Joy Division, called Control was very good. Depressing..but good.
i saw that film it was a good film , just a little depressing :P im kinda in two minds the deluxe version with the dvd would have swayed me if the dvd had something to do with the band ,i know its an anton corbijn film but im not sure if that would persuade me to part with 45 pound (70 dollars)

Offline domino

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 02:17:52 AM »
$30 I can justify. It already sounds better than the HTDAAB 'deluxe' version. BUT my humble student wallet definitely cannot justify the $87.99 mega-ultra-version-from-space. It'd have to have a golden ticket to meet Bono or something to get me to shell that kind dough.

daveyg

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 07:40:25 AM »
Probably not. Won't stop people buying it. Bono's not any younger you know - and in these days of the credit crunch, his pension plan needs a bit of a top up.

Apologies for the cynicism!

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 09:32:38 AM »
Bono says that "people would buy 50 for a video game." So they are trying to make the CD and packaging worth the money. I've calculated this myself (sad I know  :-\):

Album: 16 (Average U2 album price in the UK  :( )
DVD: 10
Poster: 5
Book: 8
Box Packaging: 2-5
Tax: 4-5

Estimated maximum total price: 49. Apparently the RRP (Retail Recommended Price) is 55.
In the U.S. it should be cheaper because the taxes in the UK are ridiculous.

I'd say that this is correctly priced by U2 and isn't a rip off (if you believe it is). But I here Darkangel payed less than 30 for it (lucky girl  :P) and I'm paying 37 (thank you HMV Stores - a note to UK buyers: box set is 42).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 09:35:23 AM by Nielsen »