Author Topic: Why hasn't Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses Been Played More?  (Read 7081 times)

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
Re: Why hasn't Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses Been Played More?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 09:23:43 AM »
Sounds good to me.

Why this show isn't on the re-release fiasco is beyond mere mortals.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 12:28:56 PM »
At Twickenham it didn't go down too well, as not many people knew it. It would go down well in a smaller venue, but not necessarily as a regualr/setlist staple. Sounds good live though.

HyperU2

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 12:46:07 PM »
I've always loved it live.  I remember Bono mentioning that he had to fight to get it on the album though.  Probably gets just pushed by the wayside without him.  

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 10:04:30 PM »
The band has said they don't much care for the song either, didn't they? Something about it being lyrically great but musically unsatisfying for them.

If that's true then i can understand it. One of those 'songs' i personally don't quite get.

Strongly disagree. The song is one of my all time faves.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 10:11:41 PM »
Good idea to have this as Bono and Edge's new go-to acoustic song. Pleasant, commercial-sounding (as someone earlier said) song. (but of course so much more to us fans!)

I know B & E always pull out Stay and Stuck from their back pocket to play events and stuff, but please! New acoustic song after their vacation ;D

Offline wraitii

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 01:56:02 AM »
I don't like the album mix, but the Temple Bar, despite being more commercial, is really good. I'd like it for the next tour.

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 08:26:25 AM »
Their friend who died last year, Gerry Ryan, said it was the best song they ever recorded. Musically it's a little more complex than most of their songs which is probably the main reason it's not played much. Amazing song though, shame it has fallen by the wayside somewhat.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2011, 06:54:23 PM »
I don't think it's that complex musically, but the lyrics are definitely top notch.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 11:40:28 AM »
Their friend who died last year, Gerry Ryan, said it was the best song they ever recorded. Musically it's a little more complex than most of their songs which is probably the main reason it's not played much. Amazing song though, shame it has fallen by the wayside somewhat.

U2 and musical complexity are incompatible.

Cheers,

J

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2011, 12:10:52 PM »

U2 and musical complexity are incompatible.

Cheers,

J

Says the man who loves Justin Bieber and Bon Jovi.

satellitedog01

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 12:20:32 PM »
Yeah, it's a decent campfire tune with great lyrics, I've just spent five minutes figuring out the chord structure (didn't check if the key was right, but wouldn't make it too difficult if it wasn't). I like it as a U2 song, but find it's the least necessary on Achtung Baby. The band rightfully thought it was too familiar and straightforward and could've been on TJT so they wanted it out, but Bono: "the Mother Theresa of abandoned songs" saved it.

I find it more telling, but mainly worrying he didn't remember why the other guys didn't want it on the album...

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2011, 01:20:36 PM »
Straightforward? The song contains some of Bono's best lyrics and imagery.

I would say that TTTYAATW or Ultraviolet are the least "necessary" on AB, but I also think saying which songs are "necessary" on an album is a silly and meaningless exercise.

satellitedog01

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 01:31:58 PM »
I say Arms is the second weakest track on the album, but it fits the mood way better. Knowing the band didn't want Horses on the album makes it an odd fit.

And the whole necessary thing comes from the whole idea of perfect albums, groundbreaking records and general fanclub pastime overanalyzing things that's this whole site. :-)

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2011, 04:42:33 PM »
Given that Wild Horses was played several times on the Vertigo Tour, I think it's safe to say the track isn't disliked by the band as much as some may think. From my recollection they were simply unhappy with the mix, musically.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2011, 07:25:00 AM »
I'm sure I heard one of the band saying they thought it was too long or something. I think it was a bit of a struggle for them to get it into a finished song. I really like it, but it's not one of my favourites on AB. I like it better than TTTYATW but that song gives a nice mellow break after MW and The Fly.