Author Topic: Popmart Sarajevo  (Read 4829 times)

Offline gypsyheart75

• Refugee
Popmart Sarajevo
« on: August 29, 2011, 10:26:57 PM »
Is there anyone who attended the Popmart Sarajevo gig in 1997?

Offline MissSarajevo

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Popmart Sarajevo
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 03:42:20 AM »
I was there

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 11:08:04 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Is there anyone who attended the Popmart Sarajevo gig in 1997?

I was there, too.

Offline gypsyheart75

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 03:43:54 PM »
I should probably give context for why I asked.

I'm still working on 'Meet Me in the Sound', a documentary that looks at U2's fan community around the world, which is based on the theme that 'music can change the world'.

If any U2 gig captures that idea, the Sarajevo Popmart in 1997 is it.

It has come up several times in interviews that I have received, and I was wondering if anyone who was at the show would:-

a) be willing to record an interview talking about the show and their recollections of it;

b) if they aren't willing to record an interview, write a review that I can have a voice-over recorded for;

c) has photos of the show that they would be willing to allow me to use. For this you would receive a photo credit;

If someone from the 'Wire' period was there who could talk about the Wire banner and how it was guarded by the soldiers, that would be particularly helpful, but it is not entirely necessary.

If anyone who was at the show feels like this is something that they would like to contribute to, please either send me a PM or email me at gypsyheart@y7mail.com.

Cheers!

Natalie

Offline MissSarajevo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 04:40:01 AM »
today's 14th anniversary of that concert. In that name, I think I'll listen to the bootleg and roam in glorious past  ;D

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 12:44:27 PM »
I listened to it live on the radio, so I was there in spirit.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 08:40:06 PM »
"So for the city of the future, Sarajevo! City of the future! Sarajevo! City of the future!"

5 years on...

Offline MissSarajevo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 05:21:14 AM »
Well this is no longer a problem here, the sex workers from Eastern Europe have moved on after majority of UN troops and internationals left the county.

Back in 1997, the world seemed full of possibilities for us. There was a general feeling of euphoria and optimism. U2 concert was a sort of breaking point for Sarajevo. Because of the concert, the curfew was lifted, public transportation was reinstalled, water and electricity supply was repaired....

I felt like for the four years of war, our lives had been put on paused, and the U2 concert kinda pushed the play button again. When I say this to non-Sarajevans, many people are surprised because the concert happened almost two years after the peace treaty was signed. But two years after such a devastating war are nothing. In 1997, Sarajevo was still a pile of rubble, there were problems with food, water and electricity supply, curfew was still on, most people were unemployed. I almost didn't see the concert because 20 Deutschmark for the ticked (equivalent to about 10 euros) was the food budget for my family for almost two weeks.

However, 14 years later, there is general feeling of depression, the things just didn't progress the way we expected. We still struggle with all symptoms of transition, and the global crisis hit us hard. We have huge administration that we can't afford, political tensions hinder economic development, corruption is huge. War crimes processing and search for the dead and missing are still ongoing, so the wounds of war in our society still need healing. Education system is a joke, unemployment rate is sky-high. Maybe I had too high expectations 14 years ago, or maybe I was just too optimistic in my 17-year old oblivion. Still, I like to believe that the spirit of Sarajevo is alive and that we are not merely a dump hole on the map of Europe.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 02:46:46 PM »
I'll always remember the good old days.  :)

Offline MissSarajevo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 02:54:59 PM »
I actually remember that, sort of....All I remember of the Olympics is my father taking me to see figure skating and having the first Coca Cola of my life

zootv

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 08:00:02 PM »
Well this is no longer a problem here, the sex workers from Eastern Europe have moved on after majority of UN troops and internationals left the county.

Back in 1997, the world seemed full of possibilities for us. There was a general feeling of euphoria and optimism. U2 concert was a sort of breaking point for Sarajevo. Because of the concert, the curfew was lifted, public transportation was reinstalled, water and electricity supply was repaired....

I felt like for the four years of war, our lives had been put on paused, and the U2 concert kinda pushed the play button again. When I say this to non-Sarajevans, many people are surprised because the concert happened almost two years after the peace treaty was signed. But two years after such a devastating war are nothing. In 1997, Sarajevo was still a pile of rubble, there were problems with food, water and electricity supply, curfew was still on, most people were unemployed. I almost didn't see the concert because 20 Deutschmark for the ticked (equivalent to about 10 euros) was the food budget for my family for almost two weeks.

However, 14 years later, there is general feeling of depression, the things just didn't progress the way we expected. We still struggle with all symptoms of transition, and the global crisis hit us hard. We have huge administration that we can't afford, political tensions hinder economic development, corruption is huge. War crimes processing and search for the dead and missing are still ongoing, so the wounds of war in our society still need healing. Education system is a joke, unemployment rate is sky-high. Maybe I had too high expectations 14 years ago, or maybe I was just too optimistic in my 17-year old oblivion. Still, I like to believe that the spirit of Sarajevo is alive and that we are not merely a dump hole on the map of Europe.

That was really heartfelt and moving. I wish nothing but the most prosperous future for you and your country. May god bless you and your nation!

Offline gypsyheart75

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 03:39:35 AM »

Thanks for sharing this, Miss Sarajevo! 14 years ago... it's hard to believe, isn't it? I really appreciate you sharing your story and thoughts here. Sarajevo is all but forgotten by the majority, and it shouldn't be. It's a reminder of how easily things can change in our world.

Offline MissSarajevo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 05:30:48 AM »
That's how I hope Sarajevo will be remembered - as a warning but also an example of survival of grace, compassion and solidarity in spite of everything that goes wrong.

Offline m100

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 07:55:27 AM »
whole gig:

Offline MissSarajevo

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 12:39:41 PM »
It's not available in my area. Is that the video filmed from the ranks on Adam's side? I'm quite sure there is a pro shoot of this show, it just never appeared anywhere